U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Hawaii: auto body work, find a job, traffic, diversity.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 AM

47 posts, read 141,692 times

Advertisements

Moving to the island what know some locals opinions!

Which island
has the most opportunity for apprenticessing...apprentice like long ago!

avenues for racing (scooter, dirt bike, motorcycle, car)

beautiful scenery

friendly locals...

low rent....

opportunities to work for room and board...(room inside a clean house)

hey whatever comment you would want to add..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 AM

137 posts, read 238,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice View Post
Moving to the island what know some locals opinions!

Which island
has the most opportunity for apprenticessing...apprentice like long ago!

depends on what you are apprenticing

avenues for racing (scooter, dirt bike, motorcycle, car)

not here. I think the Big Island.

beautiful scenery

BI most varied, Kauai maybe the best

friendly locals...

Maui

low rent....

Ni'ihau, I think it's free

opportunities to work for room and board...(room inside a clean house)

alot of farms on the Big Island have this, outside of that I haven't heard of anything.

hey whatever comment you would want to add..
you're best bet is the B.I. I can tell. It has a lot of vog though. So.....

Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM

northoceanbeach,

Ni ihau is a private island..Only way I would have a chance to be at that island is befriend someone that lives there while he or she is on Kauai, Maui or the other islands visiting for some reason. Then he or she puts in word...Far far from happening...

Big island is an interesting place, though what apprenticing have you heard of there!

What apprenticships have seen in other islands? (only looking to add to my skill; mostly anything will do)

Hey what makes Maui people the way they are!

Yet to be specific anything in mechanics

Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM

820 posts, read 2,904,344 times
apprentice,

No island has low rent. northbeachocean was yanking your timing chain.
All of them have beautiful scenery. How friendly the locals are is going to depend on you too.

Give us an idea of what you are looking for. Your questions are pretty general, which could be interpreted as someone just passing through - looking for a fun scene for a while, but going to move on. That doesn't make for a good apprentice. Taking the time to apprentice someone is an investment in the idea they will be around to help with and/or take over a business. If someone here has a repair or machine shop, they likely would want to choose someone who has been around a while, who is known through other people, or has some related experience.

Can you tell us what you think you'd be bringing of benefit to our islands and to the business that would be offering you an apprenticeship? That is, what about you would want someone to offer you an apprenticeship and room & board?

I ask because there are a lot of folks looking for work, and room & board are expensive. So here's a chance to tell us what you bring that would make someone want to pass over another candidate and pick you.

Be real, be creative.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:01 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,290,738 times
We have good dirt bike trails here on Kauai.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 PM

Calico Salsa,

hey I could talk all day how I am better than someone else indirectly or directly...yet it will not mean anything...All I know is there are a group of slackers getting paid and opportunities....there are a group of full sighted manager getting the same...also others who have to take their time... all three of these groups whether staying two years or forever are getting chances... Me, all I know is this the perfect solution---working with someone or a group of people that have talent, skill, abilities, and be ready to use everything without arguing and fighting.. with this, I am telling you I will sleep outside for a month until our house is built...no more and when called for no less... Oh yeah, again I do not look at other people around as some spoiled kid or brat.. I see things as competition... So whatever I do it will be high grade!

Again for this to be the topic paragraph...Whatever comes, comes to me! Meaning, I look to get something like rebuilding engines or auto body work or machine shop work or etc. Now I know it is possible for me to get machine shop work, though 1 in so much. Yet to be at the right place to get some competition forming: everyone doing the samething ( you ask someone how to do something and you will see it is the same set way....only since the economy started dropping people started to budge). Me I think competition all day. If I did not I would be forced into it, so might as well be on top and having something.This is formitable rather than complaining. For me its not about the fun scenes then leave, its about the work. The employeer highers me. I go to work for the employeer: I give a benefit and the employeer gives a benefit. My judgement as far as time goes. I figure I work my best everyday, set goals to do better and be willing to learn more to better my skill for the work that is before me while I am there..with all of this the employeer should not mind me coming or going...this is what type of work I do as that saying goes in banks to be trusted!

As for experience, I have experience in talking to people. With this I have found a knowledge that has be around for ages. I found that some people bring to the working table skill! With a person like me learning is easy and asking question is how everything comes together (something like the track in Kona is aspiring to do). As for as the know how "get someone that wants to work pair him or her with someone that wants to get something done and look at what happens! (100) Again for that person whom wants a local person, more experienced, or kinsman or friend...I say fine! duty for duty luck for luck full stomach for the eater and weak for the hungry...before I hear awh it would be competition and that is that! As you said it is an investment, it sure is though one would have to take time to decide which is the better one no or much experience or the mid grade... Me, I could go through it as though I was plaining a trip lets say to Hawaii. Should I fly from the east coast to HI. Take a bus then fly---- Where should I fly from Arizona, LAX, Texas....Also what happenings will occur to make me regret or enjoy doing any!
In all I know too that to get in a place to be known is benefical. It is how I have gotten a few jobs: even with my different style of working. With this in mind as for the locals, and civilization there, I make sure I am on my best! Some might ask me why I reply like this though I bring my best for them too. I figure if someone is known to get along with anyone why should I be the exception! mostly anyone I put my best forward.. no one may be I am the exception...all in everything coming to HI to find opportunity not to cause trouble, work not be bum, working not receiving hand outs, know how to work lacking and high ranking do not mix! I had to a type the last few words because its the only way someone can succeed others to a different rank.
As for living arrangements it goes with being there and looking at my situation while there. Obtaing work is easy. I know the prices on Oahu personally without craigslist though the option helps: the papers in Oahu do not show as many like craigslist though. High yes, stayed in Ewa 600 month own entrance (neighborhood like everyone knows everyone type) around here I can pay a couple dollars more and be right near a country known golf course in recent built apartments. Though I have seen some places on the Big island that are priced at 500 and less. Maui too. Not to many on Kauai yet the ones shown were 600. Ewa was great: people building on their houses, egg plants on the walk way, chickens, and vw's (buses!), also can walk around without none of the out the way facings.

this should answer everything though if it does not then take this,

should I say I am going to bring friendly with out skill---how silly I would look,very!

want to have a job and no want to work---if I still work there...I would be a dependant looking for handouts. if I do not a homeless man.

if it is about looks than look at my type when someone ask him or her to do something and they agree for it to be done. It will be some happy people.

As for me I can only keep going with what I am doing, figure I get my own later or start trying know: only thing a man like me can do.

and why should I bring a bunch of lies to the area when I have stories..I am to busy doing

Enjoy!

Last edited by apprentice; 10-07-2008 at 05:51 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM

Mar0,

what bike are usually for sale in Kauai: in the 80's to 2000 years.. the trails mostly hills or low lands: in forest type settings. What are bike prices in the area. What part of Kauai. I saw a picture of an area of Kauai. It look like desert. I saw some more that look like a regular Hawaii something like big isle. Let me know more about Kauai somebody!, etc

Old 10-28-2008, 11:13 AM

keeping this one alive! Post information on any of the Islands

Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,736,040 times
I don't know anything about their programs, but there is a Job Corps center in Waimanalo, on Oahu:

U.S. Department of Labor - Job Corps - Hawaii Centers

I have driven by many a time, and it seems active, and pretty large.

Hank

Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 63,397 times
I have noticed in another thread some info on WWOOFHAWAII being a great alternative living situation with room and board. I spent a couple of hours surfing the net about this and it seems quite interesting. Looks like organic farms all over the islands that give room and board in exchange for work. Of course, each farm probably varies on how much work for what type living arrangements. Might be something to consider. If anyone else has any experience with this let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>