U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The people most susceptible to "rock fever" are the ones who think of someplace other than the island that they live on as "home."
Yup, they are always looking at what they don't have or what the islands don't. Instead of focusing on the wonderful things the islands do have.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM

96 posts, read 101,445 times
I wonder if people that experience this type of phenomenon would be able to cure it by parking their automobile for a week and riding a bicycle for transportation. I don't see this helping for someone who is just unhappy because they are homesick, but it might be good for anyone who just feels confined. Riding a bike lets you see how big that hill really is, and how long the road is. It gives you a different perspective, and that's what "rock fever" is really all about isn't it?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:03 PM

11,889 posts, read 16,049,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
I wonder if people that experience this type of phenomenon would be able to cure it by parking their automobile for a week and riding a bicycle for transportation.
Unfortunately, Hawaii is very bike unfriendly - many wouldn't survive the week.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well, they wouldn't have to worry about the fever anymore.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
Riding a bike lets you see how big that hill really is, and how long the road is. It gives you a different perspective, and that's what "rock fever" is really all about isn't it?
Oahu is roughly a 18x40 mile island.

From my perspective - rock fever is seeing the same thing over and over - day in day out.

For many who move here, the honeymoon period ends in 6 months. "Rock fever" is only one of those factors but at the end of day - many feel trapped in such a confined space - others don't.

Oahu is so small - that if you live in San Francisco and went to the Super Bowl - that drive was further than the drive across all of Oahu. You can wake up in SF and drive to Napa - or Tahoe - lots of options. On Oahu, you have expensive options if you want to get off island. For some people, it bothers them - for others - it does not. Some people are natural explorers - others are not.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,896,790 times
Quote:
That is changing. Within 6 months, we'll see a lot more bike lanes in the urban core. South, McCully and Beretania are just a few streets that will have bike lanes striped/installed in the coming months. The King Street Cycle Track has already made biking much more friendly and desirable in town. As a result, biking has more than doubled since it was installed. And that will increase much more once the connecting bike lanes/routes are installed soon.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:25 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,896,790 times
Quote:
Oahu is roughly a 18x40 mile island.

From my perspective - rock fever is seeing the same thing over and over - day in day out.

For many who move here, the honeymoon period ends in 6 months. "Rock fever" is only one of those factors but at the end of day - many feel trapped in such a confined space - others don't.

Oahu is so small - that if you live in San Francisco and went to the Super Bowl - that drive was further than the drive across all of Oahu. You can wake up in SF and drive to Napa - or Tahoe - lots of options. On Oahu, you have expensive options if you want to get off island. For some people, it bothers them - for others - it does not. Some people are natural explorers - others are not.
Well, for what it's worth... I have lived here my entire life and I still don't believe I've explored anywhere near what the island has to offer. It's nice that the overwhelming majority of our island's acreage has been left undeveloped (so far). And for those that love the water (and nature in general), it doesn't feel confined at all. In fact, it's the complete opposite.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
That is changing. Within 6 months, we'll see a lot more bike lanes in the urban core. South, McCully and Beretania are just a few streets that will have bike lanes striped/installed in the coming months. The King Street Cycle Track has already made biking much more friendly and desirable in town. As a result, biking has more than doubled since it was installed. And that will increase much more once the connecting bike lanes/routes are installed soon.
I'm sure there are plenty of people that hate stuff like this, but I love it.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
As a result, biking has more than doubled since it was installed.
Alternatively, most folks probably were not digging biking in the rain this morning

Old 06-09-2016, 05:26 PM

788 posts, read 463,436 times
Quote:
Alternatively, most folks probably were not digging biking in the rain this morning
Biking, IMHO, is not a serious alternative to any form of motorized transportation for serious commuters or travelers. It is slow, dangerous, and causes more congestion (by the creation of slowly moving roadblocks that thousands of cars must delicately maneuver around) than the tiny number of cars removed from the road eases. And a bike is on the road for far much longer than a car (in most cases), so the problem lasts longer, as well.

OTOH, as a form of exercise and recreation, they are great. On anything other than a neighborhood street, roads should be reserved for motorized transport - no skaters, skateboarders, scooters, dog/horse/mule-pulled conveyances, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii