U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM

125 posts, read 543,000 times

Advertisements

I want to visit Hawaii for the first timeand really feel that I would enjoy Maui over Oahu (don't want "big city" feel and lots and lots of crowds) but the flights to Honolulu are much cheaper than flights to Maui. Would it be wise to fly into Honolulu, maybe spend a night or two there and then take the ferry over to Maui? Are their cheap inter-island flights?

Also, what are the biggest differences between the two islands? Would it be good to experience both?

Thanks!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM

10,642 posts, read 20,371,374 times
The primary interisland choices are:

Hawaii Superferry Hawaii Superferry - Interisland Ferry Travel to Oahu & Maui
Hawaiian Airlines Hawaiian Airlines: Hawaii Vacations, Travel and Flights
Mesa/Go Airlines Go Hawaiian InterIsland Airline Flights – Mesa Discount Airfare: www.iflyGo.com: Book Flights Today

The prices aren't very cheap anymore and there aren't any coupon books anymore. Folks don't go visit their friends on the other islands as much anymore since the price of airfare has gone way up.

At the moment tourism is really down so there probably won't be crowds anywhere. Oahu is much more densely populated than Maui but has more tourist destinations than Maui. Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum, Diamond Head (hiking), Hanauma Bay (snorkeling), North Shore, Polynesian Cultural Center, Germaine's Luau, I'olani Palace, etc. There are portions of Oahu which are rural but more of it is fairly densely populated than it used to be. Maui has a lot lower density of population.

What do you want to do on your vacation?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM

125 posts, read 543,000 times
Default Lots!

I want to spend lots of time on the beaches, snorkeling - i would love to hike through some rainforests, see some beautiful waterfalls. I want to "feel" the islands through her natural beauty. Go to some "local" festivities. I don't really care about tourist sites, though Pearl Harbor would be an experience.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM

6,107 posts, read 13,955,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
I want to spend lots of time on the beaches, snorkeling - i would love to hike through some rainforests, see some beautiful waterfalls. I want to "feel" the islands through her natural beauty. Go to some "local" festivities. I don't really care about tourist sites, though Pearl Harbor would be an experience.
It sounds like Maui (Hana) or Kauai is a better fit for what you want to experience.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,289,715 times
For my first Hawaii vacation, I flew directly into HNL and stayed overnight in Waikiki. We then did Pearl Harbor in the morning, then flew into OGG.

I did not like Waikiki at all because it reminded me of Phoenix crossed with the Jersey Shore. Don't get me wrong, I love Phoenix, and I love the Jersey Shore, but it's not what Hawaii represented to me.

I went to Maui and I LOVED it. It looked and felt like the Hawaii and I had daydreamed about for 20 years.

We're going back to Kauai and Maui on our next trip.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,780 times
Maui is what most people think about when they imagine Hawaii. Drive the road to Hana and you will see beautiful waterfalls and botanical gardens. Snorkel south of Kihei and you will find marine sanctuaries. Hit the beaches of Kihei and you will find the white sand sugar beaches you have in your mind's eye. Avoid Kaanapali or at least get out of it if you stay there. Don't forget to visit up country Maui! The biggest downside to Maui is the traffic. Allow for it, don't get in a hurry - you're on an island, where you gonna go? Or avoid it by staying where you'll want to spend most of your time (in Kehei) If you stop over a night or two on Oahu, find a cute bed and breakfast in Kailua (opposite side of the island from Waikiki) Kailua beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island with fewer crowds. You can kayak or snorkel there. But even if you spend every second on Maui, you won't be disappointed, and it's worth the extra cost of getting there. Enjoy...

Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 PM

17 posts, read 59,248 times
Maui is for you

Old 11-15-2008, 07:28 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,555,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haolegirl View Post
If you stop over a night or two on Oahu, find a cute bed and breakfast in Kailua (opposite side of the island from Waikiki) Kailua beach is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island with fewer crowds. You can kayak or snorkel there..
Here are some options:

East Oahu VRBO® Vacation Rentals - East Oahu Beach Rentals & Condos (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/oahu/east-oahu#3066 - broken link)

And here's that beach:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii