Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 14,305 times

Advertisements

They did a "documentary/reality show" called Maui fever on MTV a few years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
Don't forget "Magnum, PI."

Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Yea, Magnum PI was great!!!! I actually bought the first three years of episodes on DVD. I was working out Waimanalo and Kailua at the time it was being filmed, used to drive past the Blue Tile roofed house, where Higgins and Magnum lived, all the time. There's that one episode where Magnum is driving Kalanianiole Highway south of Hawaii Kai, the next thing you know, he's coming out the Kaneohe side of the Pali tunnel!!! Pretty funny stuff to see for someone who actually lives here. It is rather sad though, that no studio has made a film about everyday life for locals here in Hawaii, would be interesting to see how the topic was portrayed.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Yea, Magnum PI was great!!!! I actually bought the first three years of episodes on DVD.
Ah, yes. Magnum, P.I. The way I envisioned Hawaii for decades, and still do, because I don't live there yet. I think the Ferrari 308 is the prettiest Ferrari ever built. I can't justify buying one of those right now but I did get on the internet and ordered one of those red jungle bird aloha shirts Thomas Magnum was fond of wearing.

And I have all seasons of Magnum P.I. on DVD.

Bob

Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Here's a few: Kona coast, Hawaii, The Hawaiians, 50 First dates, Northshore, Picture Bride, Laniloa, Ma and Pa Kettle in Waikiki. Hawaii 5-0 reruns on TV here every day.
Don't forget "Byrds of Paradise" that was out for awhile, and several surfer flicks. and there are a lot of movies filmed there - Jurassic Park, Lost, etc.

And maybe the answer to your question is that there are no "average, everyday Hawaiians" -- I lived there 30 years. My kids are Hawaiian-Tahitian-Filipino-Chinese-Spanish-Portuguese-German... More than 50% of all marriages are MULTI-racial, not INTER-racial. It's a wonderful, delightful, mixed salad of cultures and races. Really the most beautiful people on earth... but i could be prejudiced "Typical" isn't a word you can use. Even the word "local" can mean many things. And, one thing you figgah out quickly in Hawaii -- we all related, brah. Good to remember...

Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

90 posts, read 468,700 times
Love those old Tom Selleck's .... His cousin has been my dentist, funny thing, and looks much like him
Here's a ton of movies shot in Hawaii:
Kauai's Movie History

and the Hawaii Film Office:
Aloha! — Hawaii Film Office

Old 01-10-2009, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Most of us are getting our Hawaii fix these days from "Dog,the Bounty Hunter".

Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,190 times
Magnum P.I comes to mind. Isn't this show called Dog the Bounter hunter filmed there too?

Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
For teh same reason so few are done in hollywood these days;the expense of doing any major picture there.That is alkos why they film so much in foreign countries as much as possible. By teh time they pay the enormous satr fees these days the budget can stand liitle addition.Also the reason reality shows are pushed more and more-cheap with high profit.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:03 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
There's an old John Wayne movie called "Big Jim Mclain" from 1952, red scare stuff, real hammy- (one character is a sorrowful nurse who made the awful mistake of joining "The Party" in the the 30's and was working at a leper colony to repent her sin.) But it's a great time capsule. The scenes were shot at several locations around Oahu, lots of residential neighborhood settings. Great views of Honolulu & Waikiki in the late territorial days, with just the old Moana and Royal Hawaiian hotels on the beach & the rest of it all coconut groves and houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii