Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,409,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
Magnum P.I comes to mind. Isn't this show called Dog the Bounter hunter filmed there too?

Well, yes it is as a matter of fact. That's where he lives and works! Mostly Oahu but they have an office here on Big Island too. We have seen him around a few times. I have a great photo of Dog with my granddaughter at a recent Humane Society benefit.

We love the Dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
It seems that the only movies I've seen about Hawaii are crappy 50s movies with Elvis or John Wayne, WWII movies set in the Pacific, or movies that are supposed to be set in exotic island locales such as Indonesia...

But very few movies with actual Hawaiians set in everyday situations and in everyday Hawaiian locations.

I can think of TONS of movies and TV shows set in contemporary Alaska, but hardly any about life in Hawaii. Kinda strange when you consider Hawaii is perhaps our most exotic state.

Can you think of any?
For movies, "Beyond Paradise", "The Ride", "Picture Bride", "Silent Years", "Pele O Ka Foodmart" and a few others come to mind. For TV shows, there was one called "Hawaiian Heat", in addition to "Hawai'i 5-0", "Magnum, P.I", "The Byrds of Paradise", and "Hawaiian Eye."

Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,700,230 times
There are many major motion pictures filmed on Hawaii. At any given month, there is at least one major movie in production, and a whole bunch of TV shows or advertisements. But few focuses on life on Hawaii. There have been movies that were set on Hawaii, and about Hawaii, but as production starts, they change it to some made up place because the plot can be altered more easily when it’s a mythical place. Six Days - Seven Nights was filmed on Hawaii but they made Hawaii and the local Hawaiians into some made up south pacific location. Even the Indiana Jones movies pretended to be someplace else but Hawaii.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 PM

737 posts, read 1,464,106 times
I heard they are filming a movie about King Kamehameha starring Dwayne Johnson. That would be something. It would at the very least show the rest of the world how the ancient Hawaiians lived, fought, died...(I don't know how truthful it will all be...). They just filmed a Japanese movie("Honoka'a Boy") in Honoka'a(Big Island) with a well known Japanese actress that will feature a TON of local/Hawaiian people and show a somewhat truthful picture of everyday life on the Hamakua coast.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 11,865 times
Two very nice movies were recently shown on Lifetime network. One was "Tempted" and the other was "Flirting with 40". I taped them and have just about worn them out.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 26,411 times
Does anyone know the name and location of the restaurant in 50 First Dates?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:53 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,187,441 times
Last winter I went to a beach don't know the name big cinder between Kona and Waikoloa not the paved road. An REI photo shoot was going on and also some rapper MTV pick my chick show was going on. Also last Feb a Scotish movie the Tempist? was filming around McKenizie Park - a friend was hired to pass out sodas too crew. $20 an hour good gig!

As a tourist wanting to be local I do watch all the Magaim PI when watch TV kinda cool knowing where it is shot. It maybe like WA don't know but OR and BC is much cheaper on the taxes so most movies in PNW are shot there. Even like Twilight that is in WA but no it is in OR filmed. And the shipping on top of it - seen so many shows lately that were supposed to be Hawaii but really CA... Going to have to check out the John WAyne flik though.......

Old 07-08-2009, 04:34 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,130,612 times
There was a tv show called "Little people" back around 1970. It starred Brian Keith and Shelly Fabres. It was about a small medical clinic (staffed of course by benevolent White people). I was an extra in most of the episodes (I was very young).

Last edited by melaniej65; 07-08-2009 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii