U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2009, 05:30 PM
 
83 posts, read 266,744 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Kailua High School.. Class of '67.. yea I'm old but I can remember high school..

Hawaii is not all Aloha spirit if you are not a local.. the schools can be pretty rough for mainland kids (Black & White)..

The excuse for many assaults or robberies/burglaries was " but he was haole..

Flew to/through Barbers Point, and was there for weeks at a time, over a dozen times as an adult.. had a great time, but I was never forced to the school environment..

No desire to go back..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2009, 10:11 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,557 times
Reputation: 12
Default Racism in Hawaii-Visit there, don't move there!

My experience comes from living on The Big Island in Kona for two years, 1996-98. Two issues came up constantly, employers didn't want to hire me or my husband (both caucasian) because we were new to the island.

Employers didn't want to waste their time training someone who might want to leave after a year.

The other issue that came up was because we were not Japanese, Filipino or Hawaiian, employers were generally distrustful, disgusted and not interested in us.

I finally got a job 10 months after we landed in Kona with a caucasian employer who had a mostly Hawaiian staff. The staff were mainly women and women in general are difficult to get along with but these women were particularly sophmoric and made my life a living hell for a year.

My husband never found a job. He is college educated and also has a talent for fixing just about anything. If he coudn't find an office job he was willing to do just about anything but he couldn't even get a job at a copy center or as a handyman!

We made friends by joining a softball team, the only team that had a good mix of transplanted caucasians, local caucasians that didn't have attitude and asians. We didn't have any Hawaiians on our team, though we would have been glad to, but they stuck to their own teams that were mainly Hawaiian.

We left after two years because the cost of living is too high, we were thoroughly tired of being discriminated against and we wanted to move back to California where it was easier to get little things. For example it takes maybe a few hours to get a new phone line installed into our home. In Hawaii it takes two weeks. LOL, Hawaiian time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Was in Western New York but now in Hilo Hawaii
1,234 posts, read 4,292,541 times
Reputation: 453
Sorry you had a hard time. I don't think its totally fair to blame it all on the people of the Big Island. For example I moved from Cali. to western NY and had the same issue with the phone hook up took me over 2 weeks to get it same with cable. I've been here for 5+ years and still have a hard time finding decent work. Now off to Hilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe09 View Post
My experience comes from living on The Big Island in Kona for two years, 1996-98. Two issues came up constantly, employers didn't want to hire me or my husband (both caucasian) because we were new to the island.

Employers didn't want to waste their time training someone who might want to leave after a year.

The other issue that came up was because we were not Japanese, Filipino or Hawaiian, employers were generally distrustful, disgusted and not interested in us.

I finally got a job 10 months after we landed in Kona with a caucasian employer who had a mostly Hawaiian staff. The staff were mainly women and women in general are difficult to get along with but these women were particularly sophmoric and made my life a living hell for a year.

My husband never found a job. He is college educated and also has a talent for fixing just about anything. If he coudn't find an office job he was willing to do just about anything but he couldn't even get a job at a copy center or as a handyman!

We made friends by joining a softball team, the only team that had a good mix of transplanted caucasians, local caucasians that didn't have attitude and asians. We didn't have any Hawaiians on our team, though we would have been glad to, but they stuck to their own teams that were mainly Hawaiian.

We left after two years because the cost of living is too high, we were thoroughly tired of being discriminated against and we wanted to move back to California where it was easier to get little things. For example it takes maybe a few hours to get a new phone line installed into our home. In Hawaii it takes two weeks. LOL, Hawaiian time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2010, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Sometimes Miami sometimes Australia
1,093 posts, read 2,407,128 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui08 View Post
Aloha

3. Racism. I get a kick out of this one. Folks writing "will my white boy be okay there....." "will we be ok being black there....." Come on people, you're not moving to Cuba!
-Hope some of this helps someone. Mahalo
Can I just say as a white person who moved to Cuba for a year (in La Habana) Cuba is one of the least racist places on earth - whites/blacks/even Korean Cubans mingle openly. At least in terms of race, Hawaii could only dream of Cuban open-mindedness
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
 
121 posts, read 226,478 times
Reputation: 92
I was stationed in Hawaii from 1994-1998. We lived in the Salt Lake area in a high rise apartment and loved every minute of it. Our son was born in Hawaii. Just about every Sunday morning, we took a drive up to the North Shore, had breakfast at Rosie’s Cantina (great banana pancakes), then circled the island. We either stopped at Bellows, Sandy Beach for some body surfing for me or on to Waikiki to hang out at the Hale Koa.

Things in Hawaii were more expensive than the mainland. We discussed living in Hawaii but chose to be closer to family. We are returning for a vacation in April and I am trying to set up a job interview. I’m a Government Employee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM
 
6 posts, read 10,018 times
Reputation: 25
Default hey, I'm from Europe too and looking to relocate to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHM View Post
We recently moved our family to Hawaii. Collectively, we have lived in another country, on the mainland in the midwest, in the northeast, in the southeast, in the greater southwest and in south Florida. This includes living in the south side of Chicago, in NY City, in Miami, ...
Impressed by the beauty of the land but not by its people.
Yep, I'm from Europe too, speak 4 languages and been around looking for a better place. Lived in different countries and actually in North California. The observation you made just remind me the typical "commentaires" I have been hearing all my life. No matter where you live and this includes Europe, you will experience the same emotions. Check out France for example, beautiful country, good food but when it comes to people, they really don't stink, Spain, Italy, Portugal, England, Germany and of course the US mainland is the same (France wins! . However and at the same time, in each of these countries, my wife and I have met lots of people that were incredibly nice and that we will carry in our heart for ever. In my opinion and regarding the locals, it doesn't make any difference where you live. Of course people are different, we are all different! The worse you can do is pretend to change the world to your specifications, if it is that bad, move out and good luck finding "your home"!

Contrary to popular belief, Epicures wrote that in order to reach happiness in life, one would have to lower his expectations and not take things for granted. Instead of wining about what you consider bad about the people of Hawaii, look around and search for the good they have to offer!

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-06-2010 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: please watch your language. thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 AM
 
28 posts, read 94,115 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHM View Post
We recently moved our family to Hawaii. Collectively, we have lived in another country, on the mainland in the midwest, in the northeast, in the southeast, in the greater southwest and in south Florida. This includes living in the south side of Chicago, in NY City, in Miami, in suburban Atlanta and in north Texas. We also speak 2 other languages other than English. Basically, we're part of the melting pot. So far, we have found the people of Hawaii to be a mix of arrogant ignorance. One of the strange things kids ask one another here is "What are you?" I have never heard that statement by kids before in my life! I think the reason for that is the political climate that is here with the Kau Inoa, etc. etc. How stupid is that thing? I say Hawaiians melt already and get educated!

Signed,

Impressed by the beauty of the land but not by its people.
I grew up in NY. heard what are you? all the time. Kids and
adults. So used to it I thought it was normal!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Hawaii
2,058 posts, read 3,032,753 times
Reputation: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by babe09 View Post
Employers didn't want to waste their time training someone who might want to leave after a year...

...We left after two years because the cost of living is too high

So they were right about you?

edit: oh sorry, just realized babe's first and only post was in December
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 06:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,990 times
Reputation: 10
I love living in Hawaii. I love the people. I am completely white with red hair blue eyes and a million freckles, but I have never experienced racism. I will admit that I do miss the wide open spaces of Colorado and the ability to buy things online and the cost of living is often very frustrating, but I guess you give and take. All in all I think its way cool that my kids can say they grew up in Hawaii.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Westminster, CO
47 posts, read 169,029 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn4hawaii View Post
I love living in Hawaii. I love the people. I am completely white with red hair blue eyes and a million freckles, but I have never experienced racism. I will admit that I do miss the wide open spaces of Colorado and the ability to buy things online and the cost of living is often very frustrating, but I guess you give and take. All in all I think its way cool that my kids can say they grew up in Hawaii.
Where in Colorado are you from and where do you live on Hawaii?

I'm in Westminster and I'm moving to Maui in the next few months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top