Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:22 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times

Advertisements

Some people experience bad things, others don't. The rest experience a little of both. That's a fact. So people who love Hawaii, don't be insulted by those who did experience racism. If you're happy with your life here, don't say it's the attitude that causes it. You shouldn't blame it on people. It's like blaming rape victims for being raped.

A good attitude does not make racism go away, if unfriendly racist people are determined to be that way.

Defending your happy life in Hawaii is really not necessary, if you are truly happy. I know plenty of people who experienced racism, even though I didn't, but I don't trash them or tell them they don't know what they are talking about, or that it's all due to their attitude. I just listen and sympathize. That is all I can do.

And if you have never experienced racism here by locals, congratulations. If I can think of some award to give you, I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Yes, Aqua0, I agree with that. I personally have not yet experienced any (overt) racism in my 18 months on Kauai, nor when I visited here twice previously. But my brother, who is the nicest, most polite, respectful, pleasant person you could hope to meet, was the victim of a nasty racist 'attack' (verbal) while he was just playing with his kids on a mostly-tourist beach (which I have visited on several occasions without incident). Go figure. I certainly don't think he could or would have done anything to provoke that, and the way it's explained by him and by others who were present, he didn't.

There are bozos on every bus (and from what I understand, on Oahu some of them smell bad too ). If you're lucky, you don't end up having to sit next to them most of the time. Sure, if you provoke people, a lot more of them will lash out, but there are some who require no provocation.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,489 times
What is the best Island to settle in Hawaii?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddavan View Post
What is the best Island to settle in Hawaii?
The uninhabited ones?

Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
Some people experience bad things, others don't. The rest experience a little of both. That's a fact. So people who love Hawaii, don't be insulted by those who did experience racism. If you're happy with your life here, don't say it's the attitude that causes it. You shouldn't blame it on people. It's like blaming rape victims for being raped.

A good attitude does not make racism go away, if unfriendly racist people are determined to be that way.

Defending your happy life in Hawaii is really not necessary, if you are truly happy. I know plenty of people who experienced racism, even though I didn't, but I don't trash them or tell them they don't know what they are talking about, or that it's all due to their attitude. I just listen and sympathize. That is all I can do.

And if you have never experienced racism here by locals, congratulations. If I can think of some award to give you, I would.
You are wasting your time trying to make this point. I figured out something after living there. Living and being accepted in Hawaii is like a club, and a lot people really want to be in the club, once you are in the club you only talk good about the club, otherwise you can't feel so snooty about being in the club. Anyone who has lived there knows what you are talking about and that plenty of people experience racism out there (mostly haole), but they want to feel like they "get it" and other's "don't get it" so they say things like "maybe the problem is with you" because clearly, if you "got it" like they do you wouldn't have any problems.

I am well aware of the history that europeans and americans have out there, and why there is animosity. I don't even mind that there is animosity, it is justified in a lot of ways. But at least own up to it, not this "maybe the problem is with you" bull****. Just say, "You know what, we are tired of haole's coming over here and buying up the land, raising the price to live, telling us that we need to dress like them, talk like them, and act like them. So we are gonna hold you to a higher standard because you are haole and choose whether or not to accept you. You will have to jump through hoops, learn about our culture, and show that you respect our way of doing things... and if you are good, we will let you in the club." That is all I ask, just be honest about it.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Let's face it most Haoles especially white people aren't used to being discriminated against and why should they get used to it or accept it?

Discrimination against any race is unacceptable and only shows the ignorance of those that discriminate.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:34 AM

45 posts, read 135,280 times
Well said Balad1.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 AM

You know, one thing that really bugs me is that it's perfectly OK for everyone else to have their "culture," express themselves, enjoy their own ethnic foods, be proud of who they are - except us 'haoles'. Well, I am a haole mutt (mixed european heritage, lived most of my life on the east coast of the US mainland, steeped in mostly-white, suburban culture), and I am not shy about saying so. Sure, I love exploring other cultures, arts, foods, etc., but that doesn't mean that I can't also enjoy dressing in polo shirts and khaki shorts, eating such haole delicacies as deviled eggs, mac&cheese, and hot dogs, and listening to 'classic rock'.

No, I'm NOT going to insist that you "fit in" to my culture or do things "my way" - but please don't INSIST that I wear a muumuu or sarong (or that my mother wear slippahs, when she prefers her dorky little white socks and weird loafers), switch from Jimmy Dean to Spam or Portugee, stop enjoying a good navel orange imported from wherever just as much as a rambutan, or adore ukulele music (hey, did you know the ukulele came from a Portuguese instrument called a "Machett"? Not sure I'm spelling that right). Or look down on me for sticking to a few vestiges of MY native culture.

Let's just share and have fun with our differences, K?

Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
I see that you've had some of the same issues that I've had on Kauai when it comes to learning to live with the locals.

Silly me, I didn't realize until moving here that drinking at the local beach park and driving an illegally jacked up truck was a cultural practice.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 PM

What gets me are these little 'mini' trucks, little Toyotas or Nissans, jacked up about 8' high. They are so silly looking.

But hey, I don't mind, really, they're not bothering me. Just providing entertainment.

Basically I like it here. And I haven't had much problem with locals, or anybody for that matter. But I have heard tales...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii