U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 PM

200 posts, read 969,954 times

Advertisements

Aloha

I have read sooooo many posts asking questions about Hawaii, visiting questions and coming to live questions, etc. I thought I would take a quick moment and simply highlight the HUGE differences between "postcard" vacations in Hawaii and the actual living side of Hawaii day to day.

1. First of all....when on vacation you are here for a temporary stay and are out seeing the best the island has to offer in your short time. This makes people think right away that they should move here because it is just so beautiful and pleasant. It is but as a tourist you're here visiting and are relaxed and enjoying the sites and sounds without much stress. -The flip side of this.....going to the beach, taking drives up to Hana, etc becomes a chore after you have lived here awhile. Life sets in and you become busy. I know very few folks who continue living the tourist lifestyle after moving here and settling in. Bills start coming and life is real again. Plus, all the troubles/stresses you thought you would be leaving on the main land follow you because life is still life here in Hawaii.

2. Prices. Everything is more expensive on an island. I keep reading all of these posts debating this issue but it is a simple black and white answer. If you live on an island ANYWHERE goods will be more expensive no matter what. Yes, you can shop the farmers market's for some things but this is not going to save you. I see so many folks on here preaching these markets but unless you're a rabbit you're still going to have to shop at real grocery stores. Reality is: Everything is more expensive in Hawaii. Take it or leave it.

3. Racism. I get a kick out of this one. Folks writing "will my white boy be okay there....." "will we be ok being black there....." Come on people, you're not moving to Cuba! Hawaii has sections and people here and there that are a little racist towards different cultures but guess what.....move to a small town in New York and you'll find the same, move to a big city in California and you'll find the same, move to Florida and you'll find the same.......Get my point?! Be respectful and normal towards others and be loving and kind in nature and life will be just fine...ANYWHERE. If you happen to run across one of these "rude" folks, turn the other cheek and move on...or call the cops

4. Housing. Prices here are very scattered depending on tastes and locations. You really just have to come and drive the neighborhoods to get a feel for the housing styles and pricing. Prices all over the country seem to be up and down all the time depending on the day.

5. Island fever. Yes, this does set in on occasion. I think not as much on Oahu as it has more to offer in forms of entertainment, etc but it does happen. Sometimes it is good to plan a trip off island for a few days once a year if possible as the island does get small after living on it for awhile. Same old things, etc start to set in on some folks. I personally don't get it very often but know many (including locals born and raised) who need to leave the island at least once a year or they go 'lolo'.

-Hope some of this helps someone. Mahalo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM

134 posts, read 480,765 times
And to add- as I've said before, when you're on vacation, you expect to pay a lot for food and lodging and can budget for it. When you live somewhere and continue to pay those prices forever...it really hurts.

But going to the beach is a very cheap activity. After you've lived here a while, you've already accumulated snorkling gear, boogie boards, beach towels, umbrellas, etc. And if you're like us, you leave most of it in the car and a bag packed so when you want to go, you just grab you beach bag, call your friends, pop some drinks in a cooler, and take off. You might pay $10 for drinks if you don't already have some in your fridge. That's cheap entertainment at its best. And we go hiking all the time. Again, we already have hiking stuff, so that's free too. Hawaii is the best place for cheap outdoor entertainment. I'm definitely going to miss that when we have to move back to the mainland. We haven't been to the movies in months or to the mall in a long time.

And if we're still bored, a nice drive up the Kam Hwy with good music blasting is always fun. It's all just what you make it. It's fun to play "tourist" once in a while so you don't become to blase about living here.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM

10,774 posts, read 20,717,031 times
And soon enough you will start getting your own personal herd of tourists wandering through so you can play tour guide and take them around to see the sights.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
HHM

1 posts, read 28,210 times
Default BIG Island Living

We recently moved our family to Hawaii. Collectively, we have lived in another country, on the mainland in the midwest, in the northeast, in the southeast, in the greater southwest and in south Florida. This includes living in the south side of Chicago, in NY City, in Miami, in suburban Atlanta and in north Texas. We also speak 2 other languages other than English. Basically, we're part of the melting pot. So far, we have found the people of Hawaii to be a mix of arrogant ignorance. One of the strange things kids ask one another here is "What are you?" I have never heard that statement by kids before in my life! I think the reason for that is the political climate that is here with the Kau Inoa, etc. etc. How stupid is that thing? I say Hawaiians melt already and get educated!

Signed,

Impressed by the beauty of the land but not by its people.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM

594 posts, read 1,502,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHM View Post
We recently moved our family to Hawaii. Collectively, we have lived in another country, on the mainland in the midwest, in the northeast, in the southeast, in the greater southwest and in south Florida. This includes living in the south side of Chicago, in NY City, in Miami, in suburban Atlanta and in north Texas. We also speak 2 other languages other than English. Basically, we're part of the melting pot. So far, we have found the people of Hawaii to be a mix of arrogant ignorance. One of the strange things kids ask one another here is "What are you?" I have never heard that statement by kids before in my life! I think the reason for that is the political climate that is here with the Kau Inoa, etc. etc. How stupid is that thing? I say Hawaiians melt already and get educated!

Signed,

You from Europe? I totally agree with your post.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:47 PM

2,955 posts, read 12,565,702 times
Great post. The same response can be used to all those people dying to move to Florida after vacationing here. Only difference is that we're connected to the mainland.

As far as ignorance - Ours is different and generational. Some of the young women are just begging for brain cells but I fear they will continue a vacuous existence.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 45,798 times
In defense of the kids asking "What are you?" I agree that can be a little disconcerting at first. I have lived all over and never been asked that question ( so much so that I had no answer ready. I am a typical American mutt and never gave it much thought). Here in Hawaii, it is not a bad thing, just another identifier. Chances are when you answer the question, you will get a "cool, my mother's dad is ______, too." or "my best friends mom is _______ too."

No one seems to mean any offense; it seems more a way to make a connection than any thing else.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:29 PM

5,519 posts, read 5,743,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHM View Post

Signed,

I guess someone is going to be packing their bags soon.

Last edited by kaimuki; 01-19-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM

113 posts, read 517,628 times
Default very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinn View Post
In defense of the kids asking "What are you?" I agree that can be a little disconcerting at first. I have lived all over and never been asked that question ( so much so that I had no answer ready. I am a typical American mutt and never gave it much thought). Here in Hawaii, it is not a bad thing, just another identifier. Chances are when you answer the question, you will get a "cool, my mother's dad is ______, too." or "my best friends mom is _______ too."

No one seems to mean any offense; it seems more a way to make a connection than any thing else.

Local people, in a lot of ways, are insesitive to race and ethnicity, in most cases this is a good thing. Asking, "what are you?" is the equivalent of asking something like, "what school did you go to?" etc....Hawaii is one of the few places that have tons of people who are genuinely interested in you and your background....they're trying to start a conversation or get to know you, take it as a compliment, and feel free to ask the question back , you might learn something new!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 4,175,652 times
When I first moved here, I had lunch with a local woman, Kam school grad. She was explaining to me how many locals identify themselves and others by what high school they attended. She then explained that this holds true for ethnicity as well. She explained to me that this isn't an issue for one to take offense with, but rather a way for people to understand who you are and to better classify you. The lady tried to explain how locals try hard to understand you and it is easier for them to ask you about schools/backgrounds to either make a connection (moreso by asking about school) and to identify with you. I have been asked about my heritage MUCH more here than back on the east coast, but I don't mind. Locals are proud of their heritage and it makes them who they are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii