Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times

Advertisements

Area you are describing: Moiliili (Honolulu near the University)

Weather: Dry hot summers (85-90), comfortable cool winters (75-80). Most rain is just a passing trade-wind shower. Once exception, when a kona storm hits, it can rain for days on end... but they aren't that common and most days are sunny. 2006 it rained for 42 straight days, not drizzling, it RAINED for that long.

Schools:Punahou and Iolani are both very close by. Public schools don't have the best reputation but I have friends that graduated from Kalani or Mckinley and went off to decent colleges so it must be OK.

Commute: Close to UH, close to Waikiki, close to downtown. Long drive to north shore and east side. If you leave town it will be bad coming back into town, but if you stay close to home traffic is tolerable. Many busses run through this area so I recommend bike or bus if possible.

Food: Tons of restaurants on every corner (King St, Beretania St, Kapiolani Blvd)

Shopping: Close to Ala Moana, Ward Center, and Waikiki. Not far from Kahala Mall either. Multiple grocery stores nearby (foodland, safeway, times).

Air quality: Depends which way the wind is blowing. Trades--> air is nice. Kona winds --> look out for vog.

Economy: Better than most of the island since you are already in town. Many service oriented jobs, downtown honolulu businesses, and the university are close. It is tough anywhere right now though.

Crime: Overall I felt safe for the most part but petty theft and drug issues are a problem. Lock your door and don't leave anything out. House broken into twice in 3 years. Clothing, jewelry, and tools were stolen. Also had multiple bicycles stolen. Old Stadium park, Kapiolani park, and Ala Wai park all have homeless and drug issues at night.

Housing prices: Expensive since you are in town. Varies by neighborhood and size but a single-wall, built in the '50's, no A/C, roach infested single family home is $600,000+ and most condos are $250,000+ unless you are in a really shabby place. Rentals start around $1000 for a studio, $1200 for a 1br and up from there. Can find some cheaper places but they are not the best quality. Prices may have come down a little since the economy has been poor for a while.

Good neighborhoods: Hit or miss. There is a mix of single family homes, high rises, and walk-up apartments. Its more about getting into a good building.

Culture: Old Japanese families, Micronesians, Tongans, college kids. Its a mixed bag. Some festivals at the old stadium park, Punahou carnival, Iolani Fair, Waikiki touristy stuff, talks and music at the university. Lots of churches/temples nearby.

Stuff to Do: Its in town so you can do most anything. Old Stadium Park, Kapiolani Park, Ala Wai Park are all within a couple miles. Ala Wai golf course is right down the street (if you can get a tee time). Lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Walk to Waikiki!

Other: Overall its a pretty good area to be in. There is a lot of congestion but if you have a bike you can get to a lot of cool places in less than 20 minutes and avoid the traffic. #4 bus goes straight through neighborhood to the university or waikiki. (City express A goes down Kapiolani all the way to Ala Moana mall and eventually Waipahu). Parking is at a premium and anything that isn't locked up will walk away so avoid a car and keep your bike locked up tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrigen View Post
Anyone have anything for the Kaneohe area? It would be much appreciated.
Someone from there can answer better for you, but when I lived there, that area was nice.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 23,654 times
I've just been approached for a job at one of the Hotels on the Kohala coast on the Big Island. I'm a single girl, mid-thirties and from the UK, so the idea of moving to Hawaii is a scary but very interesting prospect. The job is good so I am not to concerned about cost of living. More interested in social networking possibilities, recreational activities, etc. I won't want to spend every night in the hotel that is for sure. Also, can you rent on the Island? Lots of posts about buying property, but no mention of rents.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,871 times
natjc, I think you will get lots more answers if you post your questions in a separate thread titled something like: "Job offer on the Big Island - I have questions".

Old 09-24-2010, 03:46 PM

61 posts, read 247,507 times
Area you are describing: Nuuanu, Oahu.

Weather: rainy,wet.

Schools: Elementary- Nuuanu Elementary school. Middle school- Kawananakoa Middle school. Highschool- Roosevelt High School. all public schools for the area.

Commute: pretty close to town, id say a 10 minute drive to get to downtown. depending on traffic and how far back in the valley you live.

Food: not much, there were a few local markets but alot of them closed down in the 90's.

Shopping: closest shopping mall is Ala Moana...about a 15-20 minute drive. There is also Nuuanu Shopping Plaza but that area is pretty run down, mainly made up of places to eat.

Air quality: constant breeze...

Economy: not much working opportunity....mainly just neighborhoods.

Crime: the neighborhood around Queen Emma Park are constantly getting robbed. in 6 weeks, there were 13 burglaries. theres also alot of drug dealing going on at the park at night.

Housing prices: deep in the valley has some pretty nice homes...id guess there somewhat expensive.

Good neighborhoods: anywhere besides the Queen Emma Park neighborhoods and a few parts around Kawananakoa, theres usually alot of ice heads wandering around at late hours of the night.

Culture: ?

Stuff to Do: explore the valley. swim at Jack Ass Pond, a natural swimming area.

Other: Nuuanu valley is a beautiful place.

Last edited by 808islandstyle; 09-24-2010 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-04-2010, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 22,826 times
Anyone with information on Ocean View, Big Island of Hawaii?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 83,824 times
Anyone have anything to post on Hana, Maui?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM

55 posts, read 185,742 times
I would love someone to post about Wailea in Maui. Does anyone here live in Wailea?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 22,524 times
Median income is 64,000...and the housing prices are so off...where does the average joe worker live? . had to turn down job because no affordable housing.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 71,942 times
Area you are describing: Kapoho - 8 miles east of Pahoa on the Big Island
Weather: Usually sunny and dry, 60-70 in of rain per year mainly between dusk and dawn (trade showers)
Schools: Pahoa
Commute: 35 mins to Hilo town, 15 mins to Pahoa
Food: Lots of farmers markets from very small to fairly big, Mexican, Thai, Italian and Pacific Rim - decent restaurants in a 15 mile radius, 1 health food store and 2 markets in Pahoa
Shopping: Jungle Love and a few other small stores in Pahoa
Air quality: Usually excellent except for the few days we get Kona winds
Economy: Hmmmmmm.... unemployment is high but many of the Kapoho residents are retired.
Crime: KV had 2 crimes last year (2010) both thefts
Housing prices: $159K to $1 mil (wide range of pricing and newness.)
Good neighborhoods: Not bad in any one of them (Beach Lots, Farm Lots, Vacationland, Papaya Farms Rd, etc) my guess is most are a mix of 55+, couple of young families, a few farmers
Culture: More Haole but still some local family farmers . Pahoa town makes me think that a little piece of Haight Ashbury in SF broke off in the 60's and made it to the Big Island. Tie Dye is probably the preferred colors! Lots of homegrown music events. Versions of Ecstatic Dance are around.
Stuff to Do: Waiopae MCLD Tide Pools, Lava flow is currently 20 mins drive away at the end of Hwy 130
Other: Lots of vacation rentals mixed in the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii