Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times

Advertisements

Maybe we should start all over again. Remove all modern conveniences. If it wasn't here when the first people arrived, then it has to go! At that point, make EVERYONE leave the islands. Then, whoever can get to each island first, traveling by canoe, gets to be king of that island. Each king can then raise an army, while fighting off other wannabe kings on that island. Once a king feels ready, they can then invade the other islands and try to conquer them.

I think this would make for the best season of Survivor EVER!

Hawaiian's lost so much now, the state wants to sell their lands-survivor_logo.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@McFrostyJ,OpenD

Aloha, i think this is one area i have to disagree. I think its very hard for non-natives to really understand the generation damage that has happened, in terms of time it wasn't that long ago that the Unitted States forced native americans to attend Goverment Indian Boarding Schools. Where corp punishment was given for speaking the native language, or practicing there beliefs. There are elders who are still alive who remember the physical and sexual abuse that happened.

My point is that the abuse, lost of culture, land, spiritual beliefs and poverty even effect future generations, on how healthy personally and socially they are intel healing happens. I think its hard to understand how hard it is to have the self esteem to fight as a people when your identity has been almost wiped out or your taught being native is not ok. Remember that the last indian schools just closed in the 1980s 1990s. Cont on next post

Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Cont from last post.

To this day i talk to native elders who have difficulties getting involved with there culture, languages etc do to the shame induce in them from the abuse of the schools.

Personally i believe what sovereignty or activism that is made is great. Even the unitted states wasnt 100 percent in agreement with one another aho.

As with the Native Americans the lost of language etc would have the same effect with the Native Hawai'ians.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,536,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Maybe we should start all over again. Remove all modern conveniences. If it wasn't here when the first people arrived, then it has to go! At that point, make EVERYONE leave the islands. Then, whoever can get to each island first, traveling by canoe, gets to be king of that island. Each king can then raise an army, while fighting off other wannabe kings on that island. Once a king feels ready, they can then invade the other islands and try to conquer them.

I think this would make for the best season of Survivor EVER!

Attachment 118485

I really got to admire your thinking..... Only if!!! Just think how well the native hawaiian population did without "all the modern conveniences". they had no matson, did they need it? the had electricity before the white house... go figure. I just ask return it the way you found it.. thank you berry much.

Oh and FYI.... Kalo vs. sugar cane all day anyday... you can live on kalo... what health benefits does sugar have?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I was puzzled why anyone would think this was a significant event. After all, this was little, if anything more than a symbolic act by a group of people filing a document with a foreign government which has no jurisdiction in the matter at all, and that government acknowledging the receipt of that document.

And then I thought, wait... which Hawaiian Kingdom? Aren't there competing claims?

So I did some reading on the Hawaiian Secession movement, and I came away with a profound sense that none of this will ever go anywhere,

[color="red"]So why aren't those "haoles" represented at the table?
I can see that your Puzzled.... why you got to get all racist? you making accusations about "ha'oles" Did I say the HKG (Hawaiian Kingdom Government) was race based? where did you get that idea from? HGK should consist... of?? guess??? wanna take a stab at it?? clue... Hawaiian Nationals people who pledge allegiance to the nation of Hawaii.

The Game... the US set the rules... remember international law?? the US will break them any day, anytime they want to... the only way to change the game is to play at a different field. And we need more players on our side. The US will always impose its will wether illegal or even unwanted its what they do best!!

Remember apology resolution?? legal? Oh... wait it was an apology for an illegal act... right?
now in the US court of law an illegal act becomes legal? No, of course not.. the best thing to do in that case is never to let it be heard in the courts........ Cabish...

Akaka Bill.... which version? Hawaiians are not a tribe never was we have our own identity "Native Hawaiians" we have our own monarchy.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
who pledge allegiance to the nation of Hawaii. .
Well - to be fair, there is no such thing today.

Quote:
Hawaiians are not a tribe never was we have our own identity "Native Hawaiians" we have our own monarchy.
To be fair, not really - you can't just row a bunch of boats over and think that makes you "native" - seriously, what if folks from Japan rowed over first and got lucky - or from China - nobody is native to Hawaii and it is naïve to think so just because some folks rowed from some other islands before some other nation did. If the Japanese rowed over first - did that make them "native" hmmm.

It is the so sad to bad kind of rule.

From my perspective - for a bunch of descendants that basically rowed a boats over and procreated, it is a pretty good deal.

It is 2013, what is the big deal anyway?

Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - to be fair, there is no such thing today.
you can like..... of add as a friend, up to you. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kingd...11086292245308

Actually its not easy to join the HKG its way harder than becoming a US citizen!!! there are tests you need to take as well as dissolving what ever Nation you belong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It is 2013, what is the big deal anyway?
the deal is everything is coming forth... papers are being filed the right people are being notified. the truth shall set us free....

Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
There seems to me a stark irony in the argument that a monarchy which came to power through war and forceful overthrow of neighboring island chiefs, should be given back the power they lost through means less violent than the means to gain and consolidate their power in the first place.

The world has a very long history of governments changing hands and lands moving from one group to another. This really was nothing new or unique in history.

And in the end, if the US had not taken control of the islands, it would likely have been taken by the French, or Britain, or Japan. Unfortunately history was writing the script and we were simply living it.

Of course, that is just my opinion and nothing more.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
All kidding aside, I've never understood why a group of people feel so entitled about control of Hawaii. Just because a group of people took a bunch of canoes over and reproduced over the years doesn't entitle you to a restoration of the monarchy just because you are descended from them. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
[quote]
Quote:
I can see that your Puzzled.... why
you got to get all racist? you making accusations about "ha'oles" Did I say the HKG (Hawaiian
Kingdom Government) was race based? where did you get that idea from? HGK
should consist... of?? guess??? wanna take a stab at it?? clue... Hawaiian Nationals people who pledge allegiance to
the nation of Hawaii
What part of it was "racist"? That is a much-overused accusation made by people without well-formed positions. Please Google "racist", then point out the part that meets the definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii