Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:38 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,542,005 times

Advertisements

Aloha, from Hawaii.....

Please bear with me, this is my first post. As much as the State of Hawaii sells aloha they want to sell the lands that don't belong to them. Here is some info there is more on the web as well as questions you all can ask.. Please share your options as well.... Aloha...

Battle over ceded lands - News - Starbulletin.com

Battle over ceded lands
STORY SUMMARY | READ THE FULL STORY
Native Hawaiian claims to land that once belonged to the Hawaiian monarchy may rest with how the U.S. Supreme Court rules on a case being argued before the court on Wednesday.

Hawaiians want the nation's highest court to dismiss the state's appeal of a Hawaii Supreme Court ruling. That ruling said the state cannot sell or transfer 1.2 million acres of ceded lands held in trust by the state until Hawaiian claims to those lands are resolved.

In its ruling the state Supreme Court cited state law and the 1993 U.S. apology for the role played by the United States in the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy.

The state claims that the apology resolution did not change previous law that gave the United States clear title to the land when Hawaii was annexed in 1898 and subsequently to Hawaii when it became a state 50 years ago.

State Attorney General Mark Bennett, who will argue the case, says the state should have the right to sell or transfer the land on behalf of all citizens, including native Hawaiians.

The case started with a state effort 14 years ago to transfer 500 acres on Maui to develop affordable housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:17 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,114,901 times
There have been a couple of cases where land grants given by King Kamehameha superseded subsequent land sales although I think in those cases the folks claiming the land as direct descendants of the original grant owners were claiming vacant lands.

I think some of the wording on the land grants were that they could only be sold for the duration of the seller's life, after that it returned to the direct blood heirs of the grant holder. All the land grants I've seen of this nature have been written in Hawaiian and signed by Kamehameha. (Who had incredibly elegant handwriting, just by the way.)

When you get a title guarantee in Hawaii, it only goes back to either the overthrow of the monarchy or statehood, I forget which.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 AM

Hey Catz.... I think the title search only goes to statehood.

I tried to post this as to?? educate people as to whats going on with the plight of the native hawaiian people. Many people come to hawaii an think its all grand yet, the people of the land not only lost their aloha but are about to lose their land.

here is an interesting article...

The Hawaii Independent » Archive » Supreme Court to hear “ceded lands” case, 29 states sign on

Supreme Court to hear “ceded lands” case, 29 states sign on

Twenty-nine states and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands filed “friend of the court” briefs in support of the state of Hawai‘i’s position. The supporting states also say that they should have the ability to do as they please with their lands, without federal limitations.

So I ask.... How can 29 states agree with the state of hawaii that they should be able to sell ceded lands?? do these 29 states even know what is going on??

The governor of Hawaii claims the state has ownership to these lands, How so??
the lands were "entrusted" to the state. If the state had ownership hey could very well have sold off all of hawaii long long time ago.

Someone came up with a logo for a shirt.... Stole your land and you Aloha.... how fitting.... anyone got a size preference?

I hope this answers to why some native hawaiians have ill feelling for outsiders.

Aloha

Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM

The current situation is just a continuation of history. If I remember right, many of the Hawaiian folks didn't get their land in the Great Mahele when they didn't know they had to sign up for it. Ownership of land just wasn't something that was done and they didn't hardly understand the concept. They were used to just using what they needed and going from the shore up to the mountain as they needed different things. Most of the common folks didn't know they needed to sign up to "own" land so they could continue their usual lifestyle. There was a huge disenfranchisement then and the bulk of the lands went to the crown, the folks doing the paperwork and friends of the crown. Even among the people who signed up to get land, they tossed out over half the applications for some reason, I forget exactly what sorts of reasons.

Of the crown lands, a lot of them were then reissued to folks via royal grants. If you could find the direct descendants of the receivers of these grants, those folks could file to get the land back since according to the grants, they can NOT be sold in perpetuity but only for the life of the person selling it. Once that person dies, the land then goes back to the heirs of the original grant owner.

Perhaps some of these folks could be found and a hui put together to finance their legal battle to get the property back? I think it has been done on Maui in one or two cases, so there is already precedent for it.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM

the legal battle.... where to start?? do you start with the illegal over throw??

For the most part people have no clue as to how hawaii became a state, yes. they (the people in the islands at the time) voted for statehood. What about the Hawaiian's?? shouldn't their decision be first an for-most?? after all its their Aina.
Many hawaiians, were barred form voting. Why??

the girl friend are in battle right now, their family owned form the mountain to the sea.... Now, picture the battle..... they are battling in a western western system set up for their benefit. Their battle is against the sugar cane company. which forged documents to say the own the families lands. The court gave them the ocean side, but not the mountain... the document clearly said.. the Ohana said they owned all of it....

Same goes with the battle to sell Ceded lands. state court said, NO... Lingle is taking to washington to try and have that over turned. Why?? she claims the state has title......OMFG... who signed it over to her, to the state for that matter?

You see any justice for Hawaiian's in a western court???

Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,592,409 times
If you look at the old maps of South Maui, you will see that a lot of the land here is labeled as "Hawaiian Homestead", my condo is sitting right on top of that "Homestead" land, as is most of Wailea, and practically all of Makenna.
Don't know how they got away with it,,,,,,,,,

Aloha

Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,399,426 times
Hawaiian Homelands Approved; $90 Million Grant | KGMB9 News Hawaii | (http://www.kgmb9.com/main/content/view/7111/40/ - broken link)

Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM

156 posts, read 806,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Hawaiian Homelands Approved; $90 Million Grant | KGMB9 News Hawaii | (http://www.kgmb9.com/main/content/view/7111/40/ - broken link)
What they going to build? Something like section 8 housing?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM

242 posts, read 1,188,658 times
Default Hawaiian's lost so much now, the state wants to sell their lands

This is OLD NEWS, I remember back in what year was that 1995 or 1996, or 1997 whatever, the Hawaiians and anyone that was part Hawaiian or whatever, were living on hose beaches on Oahu. You remember when they lost their tents etc, were plowed down? The state can not sell the land, Hawaii is the 50th state. &&&&& I remember when there was NOTHING in Makena, not Maui Prince Hotel, and I forgot what that other condo is called, I use to walk that small beach. Remember way south in Makena past Makena Beach, some homes there. Wailea, I use to work in that area. &&&&&& I had a friend that moved to Maui in 1995, and she was afraid that the Hawaiians would chase away all the Haoles. I told her, what? This is a STATE not owned by Hawaiians. The King or Queen sold the islands for what was that smoking a cigar, ? So many people of the Hawaiian nationality MOVED to California years ago, there is one city, that HAWAIIANS LIVE, there are more Hawaiians there than all of LAS VEGAS, they went there too, to find affordable living. WHO can live there now? FOOD is astronomical.... and I see on Maui, they lowered the rentals, but still it is expensive because food prices are INSANE.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM

If you start a legal battle with the illegal overthrow, then any decision the court will make will affect the entire state so getting that decision in your favor would be almost impossible. By following the land grants, which, if you read them in the original Hawaiian, states that the lands can only be sold for the duration of the seller's life, then you are on much firmer ground and any decision made by the court would only pertain to that particular piece of land in question. You are much more likely to win that battle. Enough such little battles and the state will be Hawaiian again since the land grant inheritances follow the bloodlines. The heirs are not disenfranchiseable. (I dunno if that's a word, but oh wellos!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
the legal battle.... where to start?? do you start with the illegal over throw??

For the most part people have no clue as to how hawaii became a state, yes. they (the people in the islands at the time) voted for statehood. What about the Hawaiian's?? shouldn't their decision be first an for-most?? after all its their Aina.
Many hawaiians, were barred form voting. Why??

the girl friend are in battle right now, their family owned form the mountain to the sea.... Now, picture the battle..... they are battling in a western western system set up for their benefit. Their battle is against the sugar cane company. which forged documents to say the own the families lands. The court gave them the ocean side, but not the mountain... the document clearly said.. the Ohana said they owned all of it....

Same goes with the battle to sell Ceded lands. state court said, NO... Lingle is taking to washington to try and have that over turned. Why?? she claims the state has title......OMFG... who signed it over to her, to the state for that matter?

You see any justice for Hawaiian's in a western court???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii