U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:41 PM

206 posts, read 658,350 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Oahu in June and just found out our hotel (Outrigger Reef) doesn't provide transportation to and from the airport.. our travel agent said she could book us transportation for around $30 pp... that seems kind of steep to me... can anyone tell me if this seems right? Is the airport really far from the hotel? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,358,000 times
the city has a bus service.

TheBus - Customer Service

also.. the trolley......Waikiki Trolley - Four Day Pass - Hawaii Activities & Attractions

I hope this helps..... aloha

Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Yes it does.. thanks! We had thought about renting a car... it wouldn't be that much more than the transportion fee but there is a parking fee of $25 per day!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,584,621 times
Default Actually Not That Bad

Yeah, that sounds about right. Our taxi to the Royal Hawaiian (a little farther in to Waikiki) is often $45. The taxis don't charge by the mile, but by the minute, BTW. On Maui the rate is something like $3/minute, so a taxi from our airport to the Kaanapali resort area in West Maui is at least $70 (not quite 30 miles), more when traffic is backed up.

$30 -- especially if it's a flat fee -- is a pretty good price, actually. It's for how many people? I mean, if you take TheBus or another shuttle service, they charge per person (rather than for the trip). Depending upon the time of day you arrive in Honolulu, the 9 miles from the airport to the hotel could take 15 minutes or an over half an hour. If you can book a flat-fee car for $30, you could actually end up saving money v. the actual time on a taxi's meter.

It may be the first expensive thing you do in Hawaii, but it won't be the last! Have fun!

Last edited by whynot?; 02-24-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-24-2009, 02:50 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,358,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddie0929 View Post
Yes it does.. thanks! We had thought about renting a car... it wouldn't be that much more than the transportion fee but there is a parking fee of $25 per day!!!
the outrigger sucks for parking, we just the renovation on it... you will enjoy it new beautiful rooms...

From the airport to where you need to catch the city bus, is about?? 3 blocks. not shure on what you are all bringing as far as luggage?? Make sure you get on the right one to take you to your hotel. Their 4 day pass seems ok?? I mean if you are not renting a car. Can you get it before you get here??

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,056,206 times
Won't you need a car anyway for your vacation? Personally that's what I would do. You can't walk everywhere, the bus may not go at a time or near enough to a destination for your plans. I hate not having my own car!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,676 posts, read 6,820,645 times
Last time I took a cab from Kahului to Kihei it was more than the airfare from Honolulu to Maui, about 65 bucks!!! Busfare from Waikiki to the airport is $1.50, quite a bargain if you ask me. And, if you just intend to play in the surf and lay on the beach during your vacation, why rent a car??? I'm sure you could get into some kind of tour deal to see Hanauma Bay, Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, and the Polynesian Cultural Center,,, just a thought,,

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM

10,642 posts, read 20,357,262 times
It is hard to enjoy the scenery when you are driving and the roads can be confusing when you haven't been there before. Oahu does have a good bus service and there's loads of tours which go to most of the places you'd want to see if you don't want to take the bus there.

Isn't there a Waikiki shuttle service right at the airport? I haven't used it, myself, but I think there is a shuttle service which services all the hotels in Waikiki. How much it is, I dunno, though.

How much luggage can be taken on The Bus? I know you can take a couple bags of groceries, I dunno about suitcases since they don't really have storage space on The Bus. I think it is as much stuff as you can keep on your lap is what you can take on?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 AM

682 posts, read 2,622,151 times
I've taken the Bus to/from the airport pretty recently, so some notes:

Number 19 and 20 bus is what you're looking for. They both stop essentially right at the terminal. Look for the signs, or ask one of the nice guys directing traffic. Both buses go to Waikiki, but I'm not sure how close to your hotel they'll go. You can use google maps to get bus directions, and it'll tell you how far you have to walk and which stop you should use.

Everyone takes luggage on the buses to/from the airport. There are no luggage racks, but people just hold it in their laps or try to move it out of the way. I've never seen the driver tell anyone they can't bring luggage on.

Fare is $2 per person each way. You can get a transfer, but it can't be used for the round-trip, I think. Not sure how carefully they check that, since I have a pass. Here's the info on the 4-day pass: TheBus - Fares & Passes (http://www.thebus.org/Fare/discoverypass.asp - broken link). It looks like you can't get one before you arrive, which is a shame.

Your best bet might be to take the more expensive ride from the airport. There's something to be said for door-to-door service, not having to figure out where you're going your first day here, while struggling with luggage. Once you're here, get a 4-day bus pass or Waikiki trolley pass to get around. The Waikiki trolley is more expensive, but it takes you right up to the attractions rather than a few blocks away. (Aloha Tower, Bishop museum, shopping, etc.)

Have a good visit!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Thanks so much for your advice.. here is the info our agent sent about what we can book.. it's around $30 pp for round trip..I think we may go with this one.. it's seems ok and we would rather pay the extra and not have to worry about anything.... I am sure I will be on here alot more as our trip nears with more questions haha!

Transfer by VIP Aloha Tours ( usually bus and they carry other passenger too)

Round-Trip transfers between Honolulu Airport and Waikiki Hotel

Provided by Aloha VIP Tours
Description: Round-trip seat-in-vehicle transportation between the Honolulu airport and Waikiki hotels

Transportation Schedule: Shuttle operates daily between 5:00AM-Midnight and is valid for all Waikiki hotels excluding Turtle Bay, The Kahala Hotel and JW Marriott Ihilani Resort and Spa at Ko’olina.

Arriving Passengers: On arrival proceed to baggage claim where you will be met by Aloha VIP (wearing a red and white bird of paradise uniform). The Aloha VIP respresentative will direct you to your awaiting transfer and provide you with departure information. Please notify Ilima Tours immediately of any flight changes.
Departing Passengers: Call Aloha VIP at least 48hrs prior to your departure date to confirm your return transfer. Please have your reservation # and departure flight info readily available. Transfers for domestic flights are scheduled for approx. 3hrs prior and Inter-island flights at 2 1/2hrs prior.
Length of Transfer: Approximately 30 minutes.

Reservation Requirements: Transfers are confirmed based on flight information booked with your reservation. Land only bookings will need to advise accurate flight information as a feature comment at time of booking or at least 7 days prior. Within 7 days flight information must be called into our Hawaii Service Office. If flights are not advised or incorrect flight information provided, service cannot be guaranteed nor refunded.

Documentation Instructions: Guests will receive confirmation and Aloha VIP contact information with their official travel documents.

Luggage Policy: Luggage limit of 2 standard size and 1 carry-on per person. Additional or oversized baggage is subject to additional collection from passengers. Surfboards are $15.00-$20.00, golf and additional bags are $5.00. Prices apply each direction and are subject to change without notice. Transfers of additional or oversized baggage are subject to available space. Rates are subject to change without notice. Baggage liability for the loss of, damage, or any delay in delivery shall not exceed $100 limit for cost or repair, replacement or actual cash value whichever is lower. Claims must be filed within 24 hours of loss or damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii