Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times

Advertisements

Matson isn't the only one, you could try contacting Horizon Lines, they ship to Hawaii. You can call their number toll free at 1-877-678-SHIP. They keep customer service folks in Honolulu, too, so you can go chat with them in person if you are on the island. I used to do a lot with shipping when I worked at an engineering company on Oahu and occasionally it was useful to be able to find a live person to ask questions of.

Young Brothers will probably bring your container to Moku Nui, so it won't be a huge container ship all the way. They will bring it to the Port of Hilo and then you can contract with Conen's or another trucking company to take your container out to your site. I think Hooligal has just had this done, or is going to have it done next week so you could call her for current and specific details

There are also Freight Forwarders who ship to Hawaii, they may have a better rate since they would ship enough to get cheaper rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,275 times
Well i got the bid from Matson $9657 from Rochester to Hilo ouch!
still waiting on horizon....

Old 05-27-2009, 10:36 AM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,932 times
Default Matson Quote

I just recently received a quote from Matson. Door to Door from Jacksonville Beach,FL to Maui. 40' container (with my automobiles also loaded). $8200.00

Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,275 times
My quote was a 24 footer and they wanted to add $1072 to put a car in it . Did they add a surcharge for the cars? and is your container going rail to Cali?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,932 times
I never requested a quote without the auto. I know there was additional charges because of it though. The good news, once you pay the auto charge, you can add as many autos as you can fit.

We have a port here is Jax, so I do not know if they were shipping to CA or if by rail - I didn't ask. I was getting a general quote to get a ball park figure because we are still months away from actually moving.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
When talking about shipping cost, make sure you are talking apples to apples.

There are many containers from 20' to 40' and some are High Cubes and others standard. Some are even 45' so each changes the total cost.

What services are you getting? Are they dropping the container and that's it or does your cost reflect packing and loading? Are you picking the goods up at port or are they delivering it and unloading?

Does the cost include a vehicle inside or just household goods?

Are you on their timeline or did you request keeping the container a few extar days?

All these changes the cost so one person's $4,000 quote may not be another persons $5,000 quote.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,561 times
i have called matson and they give me a qoute of 15,500.oo dollars for shipping the conex and car and tank home with items to the big inland that from the port of l.a. to hilo ..

this what i wanted to ship to the bigland

-x-1-small car on it small flatbed set up or do they haul it on regular car hauler like the do with the new cars ship ..
-x-1-the odd shaped round-tank home
-x-1-small 24.ft long flat bed set up for the diff things i need for the tank home..
-x-1-45.ft conex box to haul all the items from the inside tank home

Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i have called matson and they give me a qoute of 15,500.oo dollars for shipping the conex and car and tank home with items to the big inland that from the port of l.a. to hilo ..

this what i wanted to ship to the bigland

-x-1-small car on it small flatbed set up or do they haul it on regular car hauler like the do with the new cars ship ..
-x-1-the odd shaped round-tank home
-x-1-small 24.ft long flat bed set up for the diff things i need for the tank home..
-x-1-45.ft conex box to haul all the items from the inside tank home
I would not ship the home if it won't meet Hawaii County building regulations. You might end up with a real disaster.
Best to start contacting the building department and going from there.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Something don't sound right with that cost. Was that an estimate of firm price based on size, weight, and mobility? Also, is the container your container or their container? If your container, a seaworthy certficate will be required at the dock. Without that, it don't get loaded and you have to remove it from the dock in LA. If going as deck cargo, $15,000 just for the home (on trailer or dolly) would be right, but for a container and car, does not sound right.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,561 times
that way as the end of the month iam going to the big inland to check out a piece of land that i want to buy and i talked a few times to a couple of people about building a earth covered home there ..along with spending the blueprints overnight to the build permit people there .. so if one state has allready issused the permits for the home and had no problem with the home as it is ..so i going to see if they have a problem if i can not get the home shipped iam not going to move there ..

2nd

iam bought the 45.ft conex box from a local place in utah to ship the items inside the home as far the seaworthy certficate it was my understanding that the company who i bought it from they had did the socalled certficate was part of the deal for i told them that is was leaveing the states to be shiped to the big inland .. as far the other part of the socalled qoute i was asking a basic question of moveing a home to there and give the person the size and wieght from the trucking company invoice who moved it from the people who did the work on it in the first place to the ranch in utah to be put there for my retirement cabin ..so i figure they are going to be useing there flatbed trailer set up for movement ..

to my way of thinking once i get everything there at the dock iam going to in the area of $.30,000.oo dollars to move all the items..for iam thinking that was the quote is off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii