Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:14 AM

17 posts, read 143,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here are a couple of links that explain the definitions of "Hawaiian", "Native Hawaiian", "kānaka maoli", "Part-Hawaiian", etc. a little more precisely....
Native Hawaiian Data Book 1998: Appendix (http://www.oha.org/databook/databook1996_1998/appendix.98.html - broken link)
Native Hawaiians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As long as hypodescent and hyperdescent exist, it's unlikely that "Hawaiians" will die out.
I never liked the "N" word and being called "Native" is to me so primitive. With all due respect to our Native American Indian brothers and sisters, being called "Native Hawaiians" files us in the same class among them which we are not. But I think the purpose for this thread was to establish a link between being "Hawaiian" as those being called Californians or Texans because of their residency. Hawaii is in a class of its own.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:18 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,787 times
I don't think there really is such a thing as "Native Hawaiian", because everyone came here from somewhere else. Nobody has been in Hawaii for thousands of years. Just like there are Japanese, Caucasians, and others in Hawaii, there are also Polynesians. But just because Polynesians beat other races by a few hundred years, that doesn't make them less polynesian or more Hawaiian.

"Native Hawaiian" implies some sort of distinct ethnicity that doesn't really exist, because no ones been there long enough, in my opinion.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM

63 posts, read 205,828 times
I have always used "Hawaiian" for people of Hawaiian ancestry and "local" or "Hawai'i resident" for folks that live there. I can see where the confusion might come in with "Hawaiian" versus "Californian" as an adjective form, but here in Indiana residents are Hoosiers, not Indianans!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,945,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
In the future, when the bloodline is not as strong, more of the other ethnic groups will be mixed with the hawaiian blood and maybe then you will refer to them as being Hawaiian. But I think now, the hawaiian blood is still strong enough not to allow other ethnic groups to be called Hawaiian- just local.
This thread has produced some good, polite discussion of a subject that is serious, and important, and I in no way mean to diminish that, but perhaps the following will bring someone a smile:

One evening a long time ago in Waikiki, we were attending Al Harrington's show, and he was talking about all the ethnic conflict in the world. He said something like the following:

"Back there, there's such a lot of fighting! The blacks are fighting with the whites - the Jews are fighting with the Arabs - it's terrible!

Out here in Hawaii, we don't have that problem. Out here we're all beige - and you know - Everything goes with beige."

Hank

Old 05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,266,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wati View Post
I never liked the "N" word and being called "Native" is to me so primitive. With all due respect to our Native American Indian brothers and sisters, being called "Native Hawaiians" files us in the same class among them which we are not.
Of course, proponents of the "Akaka Bill" are trying to change that.

"Native", "indigenous", "aboriginal", etc. are all have cultural and political baggage when paired with the word "Hawaiian." Unfortunately, it's an issue of English language semantics that probably won't be rectified too quickly. So while being called "Native" is "primitive" to you, folks like Haunani-Kay Trask (author of "From a Native Daughter"), Ty Kawika Tengan (author of "Native Men Remade"), and Lilikala Kame'elehiwa (author of "Native Land and Foreign Desires") proudly embrace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wati View Post
But I think the purpose for this thread was to establish a link between being "Hawaiian" as those being called Californians or Texans because of their residency. Hawaii is in a class of its own.
I agree. For years, non-Hawaiians have claimed that they are "Hawaiian" due to their birth or long-term residence in Hawai'i. The terms "kānaka maoli" ("real or true people") and "kānaka 'ōiwi" ("bone people") are attempts at self-identification by the descendants of a people that's not only had its lands taken away, but its identity as well. There have been several books written about this subject, such as Rona Tamiko Halualani's "In the Name of Hawaiians" and J. Kēhaulani Kauanui's "Hawaiian Blood"; however, none of them have fully resolved and promulgated the proper usage of the English language word "Hawaiian."

As some previous posters have mentioned, one can be a Hawai'i "local" based on birth or long-term residence. However, all "locals" aren't necessarily "Hawaiian."

Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

202 posts, read 1,076,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I don't think there really is such a thing as "Native Hawaiian", because everyone came here from somewhere else. Nobody has been in Hawaii for thousands of years. Just like there are Japanese, Caucasians, and others in Hawaii, there are also Polynesians. But just because Polynesians beat other races by a few hundred years, that doesn't make them less polynesian or more Hawaiian.

"Native Hawaiian" implies some sort of distinct ethnicity that doesn't really exist, because no ones been there long enough, in my opinion.
if you go far enough all people come from africa

Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,509,787 times
True, but a "native Hawaiian" is usually defined as anyone who was in Hawaii prior to 1778. Polynesians probably got there about 700 years earlier, although some say the first people got to Hawaii a few hundred years earlier than that.

Either way, I don't believe there is such a thing as an aboriginal Hawaiian.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM

17 posts, read 143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of course, proponents of the "Akaka Bill" are trying to change that.

"Native", "indigenous", "aboriginal", etc. are all have cultural and political baggage when paired with the word "Hawaiian." Unfortunately, it's an issue of English language semantics that probably won't be rectified too quickly. So while being called "Native" is "primitive" to you, folks like Haunani-Kay Trask (author of "From a Native Daughter"), Ty Kawika Tengan (author of "Native Men Remade"), and Lilikala Kame'elehiwa (author of "Native Land and Foreign Desires") proudly embrace it.

I agree. For years, non-Hawaiians have claimed that they are "Hawaiian" due to their birth or long-term residence in Hawai'i. The terms "kānaka maoli" ("real or true people") and "kānaka 'ōiwi" ("bone people") are attempts at self-identification by the descendants of a people that's not only had its lands taken away, but its identity as well. There have been several books written about this subject, such as Rona Tamiko Halualani's "In the Name of Hawaiians" and J. Kēhaulani Kauanui's "Hawaiian Blood"; however, none of them have fully resolved and promulgated the proper usage of the English language word "Hawaiian."

As some previous posters have mentioned, one can be a Hawai'i "local" based on birth or long-term residence. However, all "locals" aren't necessarily "Hawaiian."
Anakala akama'i

Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 93,886 times
Quote:

Well, what you trying to say? So the other polynesians Samoans and the Tongans don't really come from their islands? What are you trying to say that we don't count? The tourist come to see Hawaiians not haole wannabe's, not Japanese's...they want to see the real Hawaiians and we are the real deal pal and that's what everyone want to see! Who do you think you are? What do you mean were not more or less polynesians. The mother land is not of Europe it is of Australia and New Zealand, So educate your self. The government need's to pay Hawaiians to marry other Hawaiians to keep the hawaiians strong, to keep the tourist coming here to see what they really want! A good looking built Hawaiian guy/girl educated of the race. Hawaiian people need to start sticking to other Hawaiians no matter what.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:31 PM

263 posts, read 868,269 times
Quote:

Hmmm...by that logic I guess all of us can call ourselves African-Americans since humans originated in Africa. Somehow I don't think me calling myself an African American would go over too well with the Black community in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii