U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 AM

12 posts, read 40,400 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom with a little girl who will be eleven in a couple of weeks. I am a teacher with a masters degree (if that helps in determining my salary and being albe to make it) and I understand that the DOE places you and you do not really choose where you end up. However, if I am informed ahead of time with information I can decide whether to accept the position.

We are both sick of snow and want a new start. I have read really negative things about the kids and racism in the schools as well as drugs. I want this to be a good thing for my daughter and not devastating.

I have also read really good things and that it was a good move for their family in Maui. I really do not think we could afford to live in Mauai on a teachers salary.

I have not really heard about Kauai. I thought Kauai was a family island and that's why I was leaning towards it. Am I misinformed?

Could someone please tell me about Kauai. I put on my application preferrence Kauai and was leaning toward Princetown. I've looked at many places that include all utilities and I think on a teachers salary we'll be okay in Kauai. Most places are $1,100 for a 2 bedroom including utilities. By the time I pay my mortgage now and all utilities it is far more than that. I guess they have a lot of solar power and my house was built in 1943. Is this a good place to raise a family? Will she fit in okay in Kauai?

We are both so excited about this opportunity.

Last edited by arteacher1; 06-07-2009 at 08:18 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 07:46 AM

3,752 posts, read 10,874,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arteacher1 View Post
I have this new tiny net book and noticed I did not push down on some of my keys hard enough and now it looks like I can not spell. I should have preread it first. This is new to me.
Embarrassed,
Arteacher
Assuming you are an art teacher from your name, so I think it was to be expected.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:49 AM

Here is a link to the Hawaii Board of Ed. teacher salary listing:

Hawaii Teacher Salary Schedule (http://doe.k12.hi.us/personnel/teachersalaryschedule.pdf - broken link)

Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM

I have been reading forums for two days and saw many mistakes. I think it's sad no one commented on my question but instead only insult me on a mistake.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I have been reading forums for two days and saw many mistakes. I think it's sad no one commented on my question but instead only insult me on a mistake.
Oh please. Just a little humor. No insult was intended. Notice the that was inserted? Also note that I provided you with the link to the teacher salary schedule...

Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the link. I already have that though, I really want to know if Kauai is a nice place to raise a family. I have read so many comments about other islands not accepting transplants.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Thank you for the link. I sent you this once but it looks like it did not post. Do you live in Hawaii? I really want to know about Kauai. Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 AM

I have been to Kauai. We originally wanted to move there, but the exorbitant cost of living, few services that we desired, the smallness of the island, etc. made us reconsider. We are moving to the Big Island in about 3 weeks. Kauai had too many negatives for us, since we are not wealthy retirees.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
.... I think it's sad no one commented on my question ....
BTW, no one commented on your question because you posted it at 3:30am, Hawaii time! Give them a chance to wake up. Right now (5:15am Hawaii time) you will still be getting mainland responses.

Where do you live now?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM

That's funny! I had not thought of the time change. We are in Missouri YUK. Sounds like finacially we are similar. What were the negatives of Kauai? Does the big Island have good schools? Will my daughter intregrate well there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii