Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,446,878 times

Advertisements

I'll never understand the Las Vegas thing. I was surprised when I moved to Hawaii and found out people here go on vacations in Vegas. Moving there is even worse. There are so many beautiful places in this country.

I don't understand the draw of gambling either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'll never understand the Las Vegas thing. I was surprised when I moved to Hawaii and found out people here go on vacations in Vegas. Moving there is even worse. There are so many beautiful places in this country.

I don't understand the draw of gambling either.
Gambling is a form of entertainment, as old as civilization itself.

Responsible, smart gamblers can do well and win money if they stick to what they know and avoid the games with a big house edge.

My personal preferences are blackjack, craps, poker and horse racing.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'll never understand the Las Vegas thing. I was surprised when I moved to Hawaii and found out people here go on vacations in Vegas.
Often people go on vacation to something that is different, or even opposite, to what they live around all the time. If you could think of the most opposite places to Hawaii, but still affordable to go, what would they be? The top two vacation destinations for Hawaii residents:
- Las Vegas
- Disneyland
Both almost all constructed, not natural beauty, but full of lights and action and performance entertainment.

A person who grew up around Hawaii's beauty would likely not find it so much of a vacation to go somewhere with more palm trees and beaches, unless of course they are visiting family. But as far as a destination for the sake of change of venue, I can totally see the draw. That isn't to say that most want to move there, most return home happy for the vacation but glad to live where they do. Those that do want something different will move, whether to LV or Texas, and of course for all kinds of reasons.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,444,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Gambling is a form of entertainment, as old as civilization itself.

Responsible, smart gamblers can do well and win money if they stick to what they know and avoid the games with a big house edge.

My personal preferences are blackjack, craps, poker and horse racing.
i work in the business of gameing and it funny to watch people who think they are going to win the big one and they keep feeding the one arm bandit ..

i do not gamble in the sense of the gambling .. i'm will get in on pools like the baby bor pool or the world series or superbowel pool but that about it on my gambling habits ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Often people go on vacation to something that is different, or even opposite, to what they live around all the time. If you could think of the most opposite places to Hawaii, but still affordable to go, what would they be? The top two vacation destinations for Hawaii residents:
- Las Vegas
- Disneyland
Both almost all constructed, not natural beauty, but full of lights and action and performance entertainment.

A person who grew up around Hawaii's beauty would likely not find it so much of a vacation to go somewhere with more palm trees and beaches, unless of course they are visiting family. But as far as a destination for the sake of change of venue, I can totally see the draw. That isn't to say that most want to move there, most return home happy for the vacation but glad to live where they do. Those that do want something different will move, whether to LV or Texas, and of course for all kinds of reasons.
Every person who i know who is from the island there only work in the area of Vegas or other places that offers some form of gambling is to get enough money saved up to put down on there own place back in the island's .

one of my socalled auntie's there got into my head about moveing to the big island where the life is slower and nicer and you can afford a piece of land and live a good retired life there she keeps telling me ..

i have four auntie's there in the gaming business and they have treated me like a member of there family and they allways on my case to get married and settle down again..

it like walking into a house where is a pit of women who have only one thing on there mind marraige in that house at times..i never get how are you doing out the females .. it have you meet someone to settle down with or i know a women who will meet your specs for marraige and she a good cook

we have been around each other now for over 18 years and i have become one of the members kids even through we are of the same age group ..

she allways getting on us about how we speak the island langauge and she told me one time after 13 years of beening around me you still can not say that word and she laugh's and goes one day your going to get it right ..

one of her family members who came up from hawaii asked her why i was not eating any of the fish dish and she thought that was a little rude and she explained to the lady i can no longer eat some of the local dish because of haveing major porblems with anything that is really spicey or really hot

because of a medication i had taken and it side affects torn my stomach up after takeing them at the time and it has to fixed in a certain way for me to eat now ..

so she had not found the time to make a fish dish special for me and that why she went behind in the servering line to make sure i did not touch the dish that where a little more than i could handle ..

the person goes ok and after that when i would go to someplace they would watch out for me so i would not get something that would me have problems at a later date ..

most of my food now is really bland tasteing and ketchup and mustard is about far as i go with the whole spice things now ..so most of my food is on the bland side of things..

one of the big reason why i will allways do anything for this person when i was in and out of the hospital dealing with the effects of the medications i had take ..she was comeing over and helping out with my youngest who where allmost legal age to leave house and makeing sure the food was in the house and other things bills getting paid

so if she called me and said i need to get rid of the body i would tell her i'm the way with the backhoe and lime to help get rid of the person .

Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,392 times
I just moved back from the Big Island. Yes I miss it! There was just no work on the islands for a computer guy LOL.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
so if she called me and said i need to get rid of the body i would tell her i'm the way with the backhoe and lime to help get rid of the person .
Henry, you can be our neighbor any time.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
hi,I just moved to Henderson from Hawaii and I'm trying to figure out how or where to meet the people from Hawaii. Any suggestions? I have kids and want to meet people with families.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 PM

466 posts, read 1,625,902 times
jiujiu, go to the California Hotel in downtown Vegas? lol

Old 09-15-2011, 11:43 PM

101 posts, read 249,633 times
"superbowel pool"

I don't even want to know what this is.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
"superbowel pool"

I don't even want to know what this is.
I'd pick the Browns to win that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: