U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,240 times

Advertisements

***Just noticed the Sticky* EDIT.

Hey!

My name is Electra I'm 20 years old and I'm contemplating moving to Hawaii after graduation. I'm going to be a junior in the fall so I still have some ways to go; i like thinking ahead and weighing my options. A bit about me, I live in Brooklyn and I'm Biracial of black and Indian descent.

I've been researching about the different Islands but I'm having a hard time choosing one because I can't afford to visit all of them. I'm not particularly interested in nightlife but I would like some kind of options for entertainment whether it be bars or bowling. I know that weather varies, but I would like some rain! I know some parts of the islands can be quite dry. Also if I move, I will definitely be teaching. I'll be living alone most likely so things being family oriented aren't important to me. I'd to be in a semi-safe neightborhood, after all I am from Brooklyn and I doubt the crime is any worse than what we have here(kidding its not so bad). :-)

Also, is it hard making friends? I'm a pretty shy character and thats actually one of the things i worry about.

Last edited by ElectraNYC; 07-03-2009 at 07:04 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM

2,135 posts, read 3,757,470 times
It certainly helps if you narrow the Island down first since that would be your biggest decision (as you said we have areas that have more rainfall). Since nightlife is not extremely important you may wish to Island hop when you feel the urge for a more exciting nightlife (rather cheap for round trip and absolutely possible to find an inexpensive room the night/weekend) and I know many people who will 'do' Waikiki every once in a while.

As of this moment the job market for teachers is stagnant but since you have not even graduated things may change by the time you are ready to move. My niece (born & raised on Oahu) has just accepted her first teaching position in the Bronx as part of a teaching 'service to your Nation' kind of thing. She finds the area interesting and is excited to start her first semester in the Fall.

Good luck with school and hopefully the job market will be better when you are searching for your teaching position.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:44 AM

18 posts, read 51,193 times
NYC, which islands have you been to ? If you have never been to any of them I would recommend that you visit Oahu, first. . . It is the closest to New York. . . Maybe Maui next - - at 20 years old - you would go crazy on the other Islands - - TOO...O.... S.....L......O......W
of a lifestyle for someone who is still growing up . . not meant to be mean . . . . but you should be growning up ( then, growning bored or growning old ) can't grab ahold of you. . . WEIGH your choices very carefully - maybe teach for a year or two, to get your nest egg bigger - it is costly on the Islands - - much easier to pay off those loans on the 48 states & vacation to a couple of the Islands

Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 PM

115 posts, read 452,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Johnson View Post
you would go crazy on the other Islands - - TOO...O.... S.....L......O......W
of a lifestyle for someone who is still growing up . . not meant to be mean . . . . but you should be growning up ( then, growning bored or growning old )
I'm moving to the Big Island cause I'm and old guy

But he is right experience life first and when you want to slow down come visit me.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,240 times
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I've only been to Kauai. Everyone I've spoken to has suggest Oahu, so sometimes in 2010 I plan on checking it out. I don't plan on living in Hawaii forever just for 2-3 years and after that I'll see where the road takes me. Its just something I've always wanted to do and post-graduation would be the best time for me. I think I'll teach here in NYC before I try to make the move.

That really sucks about the teaching opportunities being suspended, its similar in my area as well for all civil jobs.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 AM

10,990 posts, read 22,144,851 times
If you are teaching in NY, find some tourist agents and let them know you'd like to book tickets for any Hawaiian island over the summer. When a good deal comes through, they can book your hotel/car/flight and then you will be able to work on the mainland and still live in Hawaii part time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii