Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 AM

5 posts, read 11,073 times

Advertisements

I know there are probably a lot of threads about this, but most of the questions seem unreal, and the answers haven't really answered what I want to know.

I'm a 26 year old female and I'm seriously contemplating moving to Hawaii.
I just want to live in a good area thats decently populated. I work a lot but like to party in my free time so shops and bars being close would be nice.

I'm used to living in big cities so I understand that no matter where I go there is going to be crime, racism, slums, bums, etc.

But for a female, what would be a nice and safe but fun place to live?

And Is it unrealistic to find a 1 bedroom place thats UNDER $800 that isn't a complete dump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:17 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chantibabi View Post
I know there are probably a lot of threads about this, but most of the questions seem unreal, and the answers haven't really answered what I want to know.

I'm a 26 year old female and I'm seriously contemplating moving to Hawaii.
I just want to live in a good area thats decently populated. I work a lot but like to party in my free time so shops and bars being close would be nice.

I'm used to living in big cities so I understand that no matter where I go there is going to be crime, racism, slums, bums, etc.

But for a female, what would be a nice and safe but fun place to live?

And Is it unrealistic to find a 1 bedroom place thats UNDER $800 that isn't a complete dump?
The only place in Hawaii that has shops and nightlife and partying and anything that might really be called a city is Honolulu. So then for your last question I think the answer is probably yes, it is unrealistic. Rents have come down a lot in recent months, but I would be shocked if you could find a decent one bedroom for that. You could find a studio maybe, but a better bet would be finding a shared situation... something with roommates.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
maui does not have much in the way of night life nor do we have great "shopping" like on the mainland. I don't think either you could live on your own for 800 a month. I do think most places here where you would live are safe, for work you would need to either be in kihei or lahaina. look at the newspaper on line (maui news) and you can see the rental rates and job ops. lots of rentals not so much jobs

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM

haha. That didn't tell me anything.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Only one city with the activities, and employement, and safe, and fun, and shopping, and evening party activities, BUT, the monthly housing cost is way above what you budgeted.

have you ever been to Hawaii? If so, what locations, and activites did you like that you are trying to duplicate? That will help understand what you are looking for.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
haha. That didn't tell me anything.
we told you what you wanted to know, we answered your questions....if you don't wanna listen that is up to you.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Only one city with the activities, and employement, and safe, and fun, and shopping, and evening party activities, BUT, the monthly housing cost is way above what you budgeted.

have you ever been to Hawaii? If so, what locations, and activites did you like that you are trying to duplicate? That will help understand what you are looking for.

What city is this?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM

292 posts, read 948,780 times
Quote:
What city is this?

I'm thinking Honolulu.....!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
The only island which would have any sort of party life at all is the island of Oahu. That island has Honolulu and Waikiki. It is, however, a very expensive place to live and there aren't that many jobs available unless you have some sort of specialized skill. If you want to live on Oahu and you don't have any specialized skills, you MIGHT be able to find a part time $10 to $12 an hour job, but considering the current economic situation, that may not be available at this time.

If an employer hires you for over twenty hours a week, they have to pay health insurance for you so many employers hire two part time employees instead of one full time employee. That is another reason why full time jobs are hard to find.

So, if you get two part time jobs at ten dollars an hour, you will have to give twenty five percent of that back to the tax man. That leaves you $7.50 an hour. Times forty hours a week is $300 a week. Times four weeks a month you have all of $1,200 a month take home. Even spending $800 a month on an apartment, that leaves you $100 a week for bus fare, groceries, clothes, electricity, cable, etc. What's left to party on? So, if you luck out somewhere and find a $12 an hour job full time job or two part time $12 an hour jobs, that's a monthly income of $1,440. Which after taking out the $800 rent (does this rent include electricity, phone and cable? Usually they don't) Anyway, the higher level of income minus the rent leaves you all of $160 a week for groceries, bus fare, clothes, electricity, cable, etc. Still not a lot to party on, but you might be able to squeak by until you had some sort of expensive requirement happen or lost one of your two jobs.

Actually, it is unrealistic to find a one bedroom place for under $800 on Oahu even if it IS a complete dump. I have a friend splitting a one bedroom apartment in a not-so-good area between three people and he pays $600 a month. That does cover the utilities as well as the futon in the living room he gets.

Maybe since tourism is so down right now you'd be able to find a place to live in Waikiki. That is a fun, safe place. All you'd need is enough income and a couple of room mates.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Actually, 25% of income as taxes based upon that scenario of $10 hr is way high. Social Security tax is just under 8%. There would be almost zero (and maybe even zero) federal taxes on a $20k annual pay for a single person and very little in the form of Hawaii income tax, if any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii