U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 AM

664 posts, read 1,819,989 times

Advertisements

I am asking about Oahu to be more specific. We live in north county San Diego now and was wondering from people who have lived both can tell me what is the major difference. Sticker shock on rent/housing is probably a little higher on Oahu than here but not so much we are shocked by it. Food must be more. Beaches must be more beautiful and warmer. Would it be that much of a transition? My husband is in the Navy, so our move would be paid for. Commissary shopping would save money etc.
Thank you for any responses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM

10,787 posts, read 20,799,927 times
Ask Hank from SD, he migrates between the two places frequently.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:53 PM

682 posts, read 2,641,667 times
Not sure what particular things you want to know about. I grew up in Orange County, and I lived there again the year before I came here. It's not SD, but there is a bit of "So Cal culture" that is similar. So here's what comes to mind for me:

- Things are closer on Oahu. When I go back to visit So Cal, it boggles the mind that people get in the car and drive for an hour to go to dinner. Everything is so far away. Urg. I just marvel at how much time people in So Cal spend in their cars. (And I know people here do that, too. But I think it's not the majority. Most of the folks I know have a commute of 20 min or less each way. You can't get *anywhere* in 20 min in So Cal.)

- I know that traffic can be really bad here, but a big difference between So Cal and Oahu is that it's possible on Oahu not to deal with traffic. I live close to my job (not even remotely possible for most in So Cal, especially for 2-job families). I take public transportation most of the time (ditto). I never go on the highway during rush hour. In So Cal, traffic is almost always bad, so you can't avoid bad times. And it's really hard to get anywhere without a long stint on a freeway.

- Costs are much much higher here. Just everything. Housing... my friend in So Cal was complaining about his $350/month condo fees as "outrageous". This was on a brand-new totally modern unit, with solar power and all kinds of green energy stuff. My fees are... well, let's just say they are a lot more for a much older place. Starbucks... I got coffee & a pastry in So Cal for less than I pay for coffee alone here. And don't get me started on how cheap Pinkberry's is compared to the fro-yo here... I get not very big servings and pay $8 or $9. None of it individually seems like a big deal, but think about paying twice as much for almost everything you buy when you go out. (Don't think about groceries since you have the Commissary... think about how often you go out to lunch, out for coffee, etc. and double that expense. Is that OK?)

- Back to driving. I really really hate driving in So Cal. I get instant road rage. People cut you off and are in a big hurry, and seriously none of us are going anywhere anytime soon, so just chill out. Well, people here are already chilled out. Rarely hear a horn, people don't zoom around the slow cars on the highway. It's just nicer, even in bad traffic. And that goes for everything. Service at someplace like Starbucks will be slower, but that's because the barrista is chatting up the previous customer. For me, the slower pace is nice. But it drives some people crazy.

- Lots of stuff you can't get here. My husband misses Fry's electronics. There's just no comparable place. No Trader Joe's for me. The farmer's markets are great here, but not as good as So Cal. Less selection, and it feels to me like there's more of a focus on prepared food rather than on stuff to take home and cook. I can't find a true CSA farm share anywhere.

- The beaches are definitely better here. Warmer & clearer water... truly go to them year-round.

Not sure if this is the kind of stuff you're looking for, but I go back & forth pretty often, and these are the things I notice.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM

263 posts, read 810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
My husband misses Fry's electronics. There's just no comparable place. No Trader Joe's for me. The farmer's markets are great here, but not as good as So Cal. Less selection, and it feels to me like there's more of a focus on prepared food rather than on stuff to take home and cook. I can't find a true CSA farm share anywhere.
I'm not from So Cal, but I miss those things too. Whenever I visit family in CA, we always go to Fry's for hubby to get electronics. I love Trader Joe's. Whole Foods is just not the same plus it's more expensive. The farmers market here are good, but the breadth of selection isn't the same either.

There is a CSA in Waimanalo. Have you contacted them? We used them for a while but it was just the two of us and we simply couldn't eat all the food provided.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM

Thank you all for your respones. Moving from San Diego we know things will be different but not such a big change vs other places to move there from.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Thanks, Hank from San Diego anything to add? Thank you!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:00 AM

229 posts, read 861,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I thought Hank was from South Dakota!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:48 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,597,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
I thought Hank was from South Dakota!
Nope. San Diego. I picked that screen name (HankDfrmSD) in AOL back when Screen Names were limited to ten characters. Now it's plastered all over the internet, so I'm stuck with the confusion.

We live in San Diego from Jun-Dec and Oahu (Kailua) from Jan-May. A little later when family comes to visit after school is out.

I'm retired military, so we too have Commmissary privileges. Makes a big difference. I bought my house in Kailua in 1965, or we would never be able to do this. You will have TLA, so you can be pretty flexible.

Here's what I have to say about Kailua:

//www.city-data.com/forum/8605489-post10.html

And here's something about Kauai, but a lot of it applies to Oahu too:

//www.city-data.com/forum/10428610-post9.html

The biggest difference between San Diego and Oahu are water temperature (you can swim in the ocean around Oahu year 'round), and seasonal temperatures - Low Temp differences between January and July are 10-15 degrees on Oahu and about forty in San Diego.

Prediction: Unless you get "Island Fever"*, you'll love it. With minimal "Culture Shock".

Hank

*Island Fever: Feeling "stuck". Happens to some people who need to be able to drive more than fifty miles from their house now and then.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM

263 posts, read 810,979 times
Hank - If you don't mind me asking, do you rent your house while you're in San Diego? How about the car? Do you sell the local car when you're away? Or maybe you have friends who take care of both..?

I have a neighbor who lives part of the the year in Texas. They rent their home when they're away and they sell their car on Craigslist each time. When they come back, they buy another used car. It's a bit much for me but I guess it works for them.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:09 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,597,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
Hank - If you don't mind me asking, do you rent your house while you're in San Diego? How about the car? Do you sell the local car when you're away? Or maybe you have friends who take care of both..?
The house in San Diego is a condo, so we just lock it up and leave. The car is locked in the garage with the engine disabled.

The house in Hawaii is rented each year when we return to San Diego. We've been fortunate in finding folks who take good care of it (careful screening helps). Usually they are folks moving to Oahu who want to check out various neighborhoods on the island before they commit to an area. We have also had visiting nurses.

I tried renting the car with the house one year, and when I told the insurance company what I had done, they had a fit! Said they'd cancel me if I ever did that again. I haven't.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: