Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:08 PM

292 posts, read 945,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I believe they're either under the influence of Spam,, uuuurrrrpppp,, scuze me, pagne, or have fallen victims to the darker side of Spamunism. Hopefully not both.............HO'O MAIKA'I!!!!!

Google "uuuurrrrpppp,, scuze me", no holiday is complete without a little of the Captain,,, okolemaluna

Ha ha! spam-pagne.. I love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM

16 posts, read 66,507 times
lol spam is just a local favorite, you can eat it anyway you like and cook it anyways you like, it is a very useful food source, heck my family can use spam and make breakfast lunch and dinner and it all tastes different! lol spam is a good on go kind of food, SPAM musubi is a all time favorite or fry up spam with shoyu and sugar , broke your mouth i tell you, i love spam!

Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,389 times
I grew up on the mainland and we ate SPAM because it was a cheap meal. Got me hooked, now I'm shocked at how much a can of the stuff costs, not just in Hawaii but back on the east coast also.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,457,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiikoiYoung View Post
I grew up on the mainland and we ate SPAM because it was a cheap meal. Got me hooked, now I'm shocked at how much a can of the stuff costs, not just in Hawaii but back on the east coast also.
You're right... it is kind of surprising at how much a can of Spam costs these days, but I've found a lot of variation in price depending on where you buy it. I picked up a can at Wal-Mart recently for $2.12, but when I was shopping at A&P the other day, the same can was selling there for $3.49!
I guess $2.12 isn't a bad price, considering a small can of Underwood chicken spread or deviled ham costs about $1.78 at Wal-Mart, and you only get 2 sandwiches out of it.
Just out of curiousity, how much are you all paying for Spam in Hawaii?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

45 posts, read 157,341 times
When tshtf, the quivering pink gelatinous concoction of pigs lips and feet called Spam with its unlimited shelf life will be a lifesaver.
Will Smith in I Am Legend was sure happy finding a can of Spam.
I actually like it fried and topped with scrambled eggs over a bed of rice.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
zoa

60 posts, read 490,173 times
I buy Spam by the case @ Sam's club... Lasts me about two months, maybe three if I eat more veggies.

Here's one of my fave Spam recipes...

Spam Tofu

Ingredaments:
1 can REGULAR spam (gotta be original or tastes junk)
1 block tofu (Aloha brand - the hard kind)
Oyster Sauce
Rock Salt
Peanut oil
1 Bottle sherry or your favorite chardonnay

--Slice Spam into whatever thickness you want (I usually go for 1/4" thick)
--Slice tofu into 1/2" thick slabs (typically called Tofu Steaks), then into 1/2" cubes
--Get a REAL wok (not those plug-in kind - one you gotta season and use on a fire!!!)
--Heat wok over fire - add in 1 teaspoon of peanut oil (if allergic to peanuts, can use canola, but the taste is far different)
--Toss in Spam and fry up, turning over so as to NOT burn them
--Set on side when cooked to liking
--Toss in tofu, and fry up stirring gently with LONG wooden chopsticks - sprinkle with rock salt to taste
--When tofu is cooked to liking, toss in Spam again, move wok from main body of flames (thus lowering heat) and pour in some oyster sauce (to liking)
--Toss around a bit to even out oyster sauce
--Serve hot over freshly cooked Hinode rice!
--Serve tossed salad on the side (if you are so inclined) - mostly spinach & romaine lettuce works well with cherry tomatoes

Oh, why the sherry (or chardonnay)? Well, gotta have something to drink, eh? ^.^

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM

263 posts, read 865,211 times
Thanks for sharing that recipe. I'll have to try it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoa View Post

Oh, why the sherry (or chardonnay)? Well, gotta have something to drink, eh? ^.^
Hahaha! I have a magnet on my fridge that says "I cook with wine and sometimes I even put it in the food."

Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 AM

406 posts, read 860,968 times
Check out the Spam-off contest at Cigar Box Nation at SPAM-OFF CONTEST!!! - Cigar Box Nation (http://www.cigarboxnation.com/page/spamoff-contest - broken link) .

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii