U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,081,518 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that Spam seems to be mentioned in several of the threads I've read on this forum. People talk about buying it at gas stations, for example. I like Spam myself (the canned lunch meat, not that unwanted stuff that comes to your e-mail address, lol), but I'm just curious about why it seems to be so popular in Hawaii.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,010,690 times
It started in World War II. During rationing, Spam was one of the foods usually available. Now it's used for breakfast, lunch, dinner & snacks.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 PM

263 posts, read 808,956 times
As the previous poster mentioned, Spam was introduced to the islands back in WWII. It doesn't require refrigeration which is great in a warm climate. It's portable. It works really well with local dishes especially the Asian recipes. You can slice it and put it with noodles, rice, eggs..it's pretty versatile. You can even find Spam dishes at the local McDonalds and Burger King restaurants. Once you get used to eating it as a child then you develop a fondness for it. Even now the smell of spam frying in a pan brings back good memories. It's just a local thing...

Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM

Very interesting. Spam at McD's and Burger King? Hmmm.... can't quite see that catching on over here, lol.
I haven't been nearly as creative with it myself; I usually just eat it with some eggs in place of bacon or sausage, or have it on a sandwich for lunch. Ya know, I haven't had any Spam in a while now... I'm gonna have to pick up a can the next time I go grocery shopping!
Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM

292 posts, read 887,040 times
Haha now I have to go buy Spam too..

Old 11-17-2009, 03:21 PM

3,753 posts, read 10,410,881 times
Take your pick:

Spam Classic
Spam Lite
Spam Less Sodium
Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
Spam Hickory Smoked
Spam with Bacon
Spam with Cheese
Spam Hot and Spicy
Spam Spread
Spam Hot Dogs

Old 11-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,679 posts, read 6,878,913 times
During dock strikes, both threatened and real, one of the first things to disappear off the grocery shelves is normally toilet paper, then rice, closely followed by Spam, not sure why that is the normal sequence, nor what the exact correlation is between the three. Spam lite normally remains untouched. Of course,,, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me,,, beer is always fourth on the "going, going, gone" list....

aloha and okolemluna...btw, spam spread is also an excellent toothpaste

please!!!! don't get me started on Spam...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:40 PM

10,753 posts, read 20,668,932 times
Spam musubi! Yum! They even had a special Hawaii label on the can several years ago. The spam can collectors went nuts.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,198,679 times
My dad was an over the road trucker for most of his life, with a big break during our growing up years when we had a stock ranch. He carried all kinds of snacks and drinks on the truck, he had a big reefer with almost all the bells and whistles you could name. My mom packed various canned meats including spam for him to have when no restaurant was around. Keep this thought for a moment.

One day my son came home after spending a day or two at a friend's house. He was about 13. He said "Mom, have you ever heard of spam?" I kind of laughed and said, "well of course I have". (I never bought that kind of food though, for my kids no offense intended) His eyes got big and he said OH MY GOD mom that it the best stuff I ever had!" I had to almost choke back the laughter. Poor child, what a sheltered life he had had, nutritionally!

Not too long after this incident, which of course I had told to my parents, my father had to retire. At age 76, he retired from long haul trucking. The beautiful Big Blue KW was sold after mom cleaned it out. You can imagine their anguish at this sad milestone.

A little later, in the mail, we received a small package. Inside was a can of spam, with a yellow sticky note "To Jay, your papa's last can of spam from the truck". <sob>

That was in 1996 or 1997. That can of spam and the sticky note are a treasured possession for said son. It sits on the shelf of a gun rack that also had belonged to his namesake, my dad, who passed away in May of 1998.

We moved to the spam capital of the world in 2003 and soon my son, now grown, and his family moved here too. With the can of spam.

So even though I rarely bought it, the sight of a can of spam always makes me think of this family story. Little things can mean a lot.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 AM

That was quite a story, KonaKat. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii