U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 18,316 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering a move to hawaii from San Francisco. We have only begun to research and have many questions. I have read so many different things online...bedbugs, expensive gas, no jobs, etc. We do not have any children yet, we plan on waiting until after we move. I have found a lot of posts from people who have moved but they seem to be a couple of years old. My husband works as a carpenter, are there any jobs available for a skilled carpenter? Where is the best place to try to find work, housing, etc.? How difficult is it to start your own business? I currently work as a nanny but would like to find a job in the field of nutrition ( I am studying currently) and would do a nanny job only if I had to. Where would the nanny jobs be? What can we expect to earn as an hourly wage, my husband and myself? What is minimum wage in Hawaii and can one get by on it? I have read lots of stories of people working two and three jobs just to make ends meet, is this the norm? What are these health benefits I hear of? Can I give up my old insurance with Kaiser once we move? What are the public schools like, they are not too great in SF, will our children have to attend private? Can I really expect to give up green veggies and fruit? Do I really have to be a farmer and grow my own if I want them or are there markets where I can buy fresh fruit and veg at reasonable prices? Should we sell off everything we own and start over once we get there or should we ship as much as we can? Can we fill our cars up with boxes to save room on the container space or do we have to leave them empty? What can we expect as far as moving costs? Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM

222 posts, read 877,070 times
Everything you asked has been answered just do your homework and you will see the light.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM

16,529 posts, read 17,277,514 times
katy that is a lot of questions lol. my advise would be to save as much money as you can before you moved here. the more you have to rely on until you are settled the better. I would sell all my things and put only my favorites in storage or let a family member hold. we have everything here that you have on the mainland. might not be the color or size you want but that is the way it goes here. if you can wait to move till the economy turns around better still. when we say there are no jobs, there really are no jobs. the jobs that are available are normally given to a local or a friend that knows a friend kind of thing. all the newspapers are on line I would check out the jobs on each. do some reseach to see what island might suit you best. in a good economy your husbabd would find work fast. the maui news on sunday had 3 to 4 pages of jobs. today there are maybe 6 jobs total being advertised...no joke. oahu may have more jobs just because it is bigger. your husband probably could always work as a handy man. many times I have called for a handy man a tile layer that kind of thing and these tradesmen are too busy to call me back. I am sure you could find work as a nanny. I know nothing about your other field. yes people do work 2 and 3 jobs to make it here. the pay is hardly better than minimum wage. law requires health insurance for full time workers so employers work you an hour or to less than full time to avoid paying your health care. people shop the swap meets and farmers markets, costco. use coupons and the like to save as much money on food as possible. it is beautiful here but a hard place to get a foot hold in especially now. good luck to you

Old 01-12-2010, 07:15 PM

thanks bresdo, have been checking...and will continue to do so. Any other info from other members would be much appreciated as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:28 AM

10,992 posts, read 22,146,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katysanfran View Post
My husband works as a carpenter, are there any jobs available for a skilled carpenter?
No, not very many jobs at this moment since construction is way down and there are already a lot of local carpenters looking for work. Local people get hired over imported people, that way the employers don't have to keep hiring new ones every six months.

Quote:
Where is the best place to try to find work, housing, etc.?
Can't think of any particular good place at the moment. Oahu has more people, but I don't think there will be many more jobs there, either.

Quote:
How difficult is it to start your own business?
Not difficult to start at all. Fill out a form at the tax office and voila! You have started a business. Now starting a business which will make money is a whole different kettle of fish. Starting one which will provide you enough money to live on is even harder.

Quote:
I currently work as a nanny but would like to find a job in the field of nutrition ( I am studying currently) and would do a nanny job only if I had to. Where would the nanny jobs be?
What nanny jobs? Not many nannies around in Hawaii.

Quote:
What can we expect to earn as an hourly wage, my husband and myself?
Minimum wage on a part time level so the employer doesn't have to pay benefits.

Quote:
What is minimum wage in Hawaii and can one get by on it? I have read lots of stories of people working two and three jobs just to make ends meet, is this the norm?
I haven't a clue what minimum wage is, but I'm sure it would be easy enough to look up. Can folks live on it? About as well as they can in an equally expensive place on the mainland, I'd expect. It is normal for folks to have more than one job and it is also normal for folks to share a house or apartment so they can make all the expenses meet.

Quote:
What are these health benefits I hear of? Can I give up my old insurance with Kaiser once we move?
Your old insurance with Kaiser is the health benefits. Unless you are working full time, you won't get any of the benefits and your employer will take deductions from your paycheck to pay for part of the benefits, too.

Quote:
What are the public schools like, they are not too great in SF, will our children have to attend private?
When you have kids, then worry about it.

Quote:
Can I really expect to give up green veggies and fruit? Do I really have to be a farmer and grow my own if I want them or are there markets where I can buy fresh fruit and veg at reasonable prices?
Why would you think this? To ask this question, you've never visited Hawaii, have you?

Quote:
Should we sell off everything we own and start over once we get there or should we ship as much as we can?
You should visit first before making any big decisions. See if there's any employment for you whatsoever before quitting any jobs you have on the mainland and leaving any sort of support systems you already have in place.

Quote:
Can we fill our cars up with boxes to save room on the container space or do we have to leave them empty?
Empty.

Quote:
What can we expect as far as moving costs? Any information would be helpful, thanks.
Ask the moving company.

Before uprooting yourself and making a huge expenditure to relocate, why do you want to move? What can you expect from Hawaii that you couldn't find in San Francisco? Hawaii is one of the hardest places to start a family. Why choose to move to an expensive location without any support? If you are planning children, you should be near family unless you can afford a nanny and there aren't that many of those in Hawaii.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks everyone for all the info. It has been most helpful.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,954,262 times
I am sorry but gota ask. Where did you here no green veggies or fruit? Hello it is Hawaii?? That is the best here. Just wondering?

If it is ment to be you will move but don't be - do your reseach. Nanny positions can be found if you know the right connections. But most you have to know the right person for the right person on the Kona side and have the connections that you can't create until being here.

Construction Goood Luck.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 AM

28 posts, read 121,763 times
Default Live on welfare...

My sister moved there in July 2009. Her and her boyfriend (whom is hawaiian) and their 4 yr old son. Then she moved her older son (20 yrs old) from another marriage there. They just collect welfare and food stamps and hang out on the beach. I would personallly never be happy renting and scraping by on welfare, but I guess its PARADISE right? Or so she claims, while she lives off all the hard working taxpayers money...I just simply do not get it...someone please explain!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii