Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,649 times

Advertisements

I would like to introduce myself...I'm wheelzz My Girlfriend and I are moving too Kauai next Nov. I have read MANY of your nice and not so nice rosts.I have some questions that was hoping some people can answer???I'm a parapalegic,But that doesn't stop meI love the realaxing lifestle... that Hawaii offers. We havel been in Woodstock N,y for the past ten years We love the simple life,people...But I can't take the Winters anymore (i'm getting old).She is a Nurse who already has a good job offer there, and I have an online buisness that I can do anywhere.
We want to move to a "cool" place with "cool" non judjmental people.I have been looking on craigslist to get an idea what's available....I see alot of posts about local papers,coffee shop listings...We would like to rent a single stand alone or the bottom part of a"private" 3 bdr. house, view of the ocean, mountain,,,But not to far in the mountins LOL for around 1,600 a month,maybe the the Kapaa area.We are very caring and helpfull middle age people who would like to meet Da the same "kind" of people. Any help,tips,pointers.... Would help us ALOT I will be on the boards asking questions...I hope no Braddah you
Mahalo,
Wheelzz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
I vacationed on Kauai. IMO it may not be the place to live. It's nice but for year round living a more populated place may be better for you with more medical places to go to.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

Ty for the reply,But other than being in a "chair" I have no need for medical places.I drive,S.C.U.B.A dive....I looked into Oahu,But the places here are much nicer... We are planing on trying it for a years,then go from there.
Peace,
Nelson.

Last edited by wheelzz; 01-20-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 04:43 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Have you looked into living on the Big Island? The cost of renting/buying there is cheaper. Nursing jobs should be available just as readily there as Kauai.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM

That's a great suggestion Can you reccomend some nice and not so nice places????I can't take alot of rain.
Thanks again,
Wheelzz

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM

If rain is an issue than I would recommend the Kona side of the Big Island.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
If rain is an issue than I would recommend the Kona side of the Big Island.
Yes! It is sunny, dry and hot. But get ready to run that AC in the house and pay the big electric bill! Electricity runs about 3.5x to 4x the KWH price you are used to on the mainland.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
If the Big Island is an option, also explore Waikoloa and Waimea (Kamuela). There is a "dry-side" Waimea and a "green-side" Waimea. It's a beautiful area and there are a lot of rentals out there right now.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Thank you all.... I was SHOCKED to see the price diffrence. My Mom just retired from IBM.She didn't know what to do because N,y is CRAZY expensiveI think we can rent a nice house and let her live in one part
Mahalo,
Wheelzz

Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM

As a rule of thumb the eastern side of most of the Hawaiian Islands is the wettest and the western side being the driest. This is caused by the prevailing trade winds coming from the east and the mountain ranges that block the trades from getting to the other side.

So if dampness and humidity is a problem for you than go west young man or maybe even south which is in between.

I live on the south shore of Kauai and it gets pretty damp here in the winter but nothing like east side and the north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii