Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM

138 posts, read 355,067 times

Advertisements

One of my goals in the next 24 months is to learn to sail. Here in San Diego they have sailing "clubs" that you can join. They'll cost $400 - $500 bucks (but give away the first level sailing certification so it's break even) then your required to either pay $40 - $50 a month in dues or rent a sailboat (which is once a month = the dues) for at least the amount of the dues. Looking online I only see learn-to-sail-vacations in the islands. I'm curious if there are any programs like what we have here in San Diego (or something similiar that isn't tourist rates). I'll either be moving to the Big Island (personal choice) or Oahu (due to being easier to find a job).

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Well, find a sailboat and give us a call, my DH used to have a small sailing school and he'd love to teach you to sail if you had a boat. All we have at the moment are kayaks so no sailing for us at the moment.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,368 times
Here is a link I just found for Hilo area. I have not used him so do not know. Thinking about going out and trying it out soon. He does tours and lessons looks like. Good luck. Seemed reasonable in pricing. I think

Hawaii Sailing Tours

Old 01-21-2010, 03:00 PM

I was looking to get ASA certified (so you can rent boats) as I've never sailed and want to try out different boats before buying. But that site definitely looked good for doing a tour and just trying out the sailing. Thanks

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
No place to rent boats around here, we were looking when my father-in-law was visiting for Christmas. We did find a friend with a fishing boat and we were going to go fish but the surf was way too high that day to launch the boat. Sigh!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:57 PM

ok, will have to develop a plan b for that goal then

Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
OP
Go to the yacht club close to you and ask them if they have evening or weekend inter-club racing or ask for the race chairman. Very often boats need crew, it would be a great way for you to learn.

You will start most likely with doing nothing but moving from side to side and keeping out of the way. If you are lucky they may ask you to grind or do something simple. When the race is over participate in putting the boat away.

I would suspect and hope you are currently reading and learning as much about boating, boating safety and sailing.

This approach although you may have to ask at a couple of different clubs, will enable you to learn much more then just day sailing around.

I bought my boat back in 1984 and sold it in '86 when I was asked to crew on a local boat a 33 ft Hunter. I crewed on that boat for 6 year and learned a ton. I still have not bought a boat again since I have been crewing and asked to crew ever since. I joined the club where I started and have been a member there for 20 odd years.

I would also suggest joining a yacht club or an internet group like yahoo's group, sailingonline sailingonline : Sailing Online

I have been a member there for several years and you would likely find someone in your area willing to help you.

I think you going to find that sailing is not just a sport but also a community.

PS, Buy racing gloves, good shoes and gear.

Cheers.
NJmike

Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Wanted to add a couple of videos I just found in the sports thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Txe...ayer_embedded#

Wicked Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PpU8MUbHE&NR=1

Movie Wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3shpTH59Qk

Little Boats are fun too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdGnBAN47Ro

Old 01-22-2010, 09:42 AM

New jersey mike,

Thanks for the videos. Yep been reading (both online forums and books) for a couple years now. I had planned on working my way into the community but wanted to get some lessons first and also the ASA certification allows me to rent boats which means I could try different types before purchasing (which I can do within limits of who's boat needs a helper). I didn't plan on giving up on it just figuring out how to make it work in the limited scope of what's available on the islands.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
New jersey mike,

Thanks for the videos. Yep been reading (both online forums and books) for a couple years now. I had planned on working my way into the community but wanted to get some lessons first and also the ASA certification allows me to rent boats which means I could try different types before purchasing (which I can do within limits of who's boat needs a helper). I didn't plan on giving up on it just figuring out how to make it work in the limited scope of what's available on the islands.

I missed the part about you moving.
Now Hotzcatz post for school makes sense to me

The net has a wealth of information but you just can't beat hands on.

I came across this and other videos from this guy, he provides good detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C31nG...eature=related

No matter what I am sure you will have many years of fun..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii