Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 479,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellepdx View Post
For professional servers, i.e. those who do it as a career, the best money and hours are to be found at the resorts from what I've heard. Obviously these are the most desirable jobs, but you can potentially make a living and get insurance that way. And some servers in some states do work forty hours a week (like where I work for instance), but in general I've gotten the same feedback that everyone else is saying -- that those jobs are few and far between in Hawaii and you'll likely end up working two. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me for a server, if you can get jobs with set hours that allow you to do both. Insurance is always an issue in the service industry. Consider yourself fortunate anywhere if you're a server and get benefits.
FYI, Hawaii state law requires employers to offer insurance to anyone who works over 20 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,044,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HibbityDibbity View Post
FYI, Hawaii state law requires employers to offer insurance to anyone who works over 20 hours a week.
But it doesn't say it must be free...

Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM

82 posts, read 479,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Where was cost ever mentioned?

When is insurance ever free?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,539,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Actually, for almost all people, the state mandated individual (not family/dependent) coverage is nearly free. Some employers go ahead and pay all of it rather than charge the small amount back to their employee.

Source: Hawaii Dept of Labor
"Employers may elect to pay the entire monthly premium or share the cost with their employees. Employers must pay at least 50% of the premium cost, but the employees’ share cannot exceed the lesser of 50% of the premium cost or 1.5% of the employees’ monthly gross earnings."

There are only a few state-approved plans. Cost ranges for the employer is about $300-$350 per month. Dependent coverage costs around $900. Generally, the employee will pay all or most of the extra cost for dependent coverage. It just depends upon the employer.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM

8 posts, read 41,298 times
Default Leaving Long Island heading for the Big Island

I too will be making the move this year. My son will be attending HPA so i need to buy a home close to the school. Once we are their I an hoping to find a job in Waimea. Does anyone know about the pay?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,599,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmanker View Post
I too will be making the move this year. My son will be attending HPA so i need to buy a home close to the school. Once we are their I an hoping to find a job in Waimea. Does anyone know about the pay?
Friday is payday!

Sorry I had to. In what field are you looking in to find employment?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:27 PM

682 posts, read 2,798,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Source: Hawaii Dept of Labor
"Employers may elect to pay the entire monthly premium or share the cost with their employees. Employers must pay at least 50% of the premium cost, but the employees’ share cannot exceed the lesser of 50% of the premium cost or 1.5% of the employees’ monthly gross earnings."
Unless, of course, your employer is the state of Hawaii, who is not required to follow its own laws.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
Default Uprooting your family for Hawaii? Are you people serious? Think being a parent first before your own dreams.

Now there is high unemployment, lots of crime, risk of tsunami/earthquakes, terrible schools which produces kids with no motivation who contribute to the crime situation.
I keep reading about people wanting to "buy" property when they will not even own the postage stamp piece of land they live on!
I've been to all the major islands several times and love visiting there, but would never want to live there. I know of several people who got stuck there because once you're there everything is so expensive it's impossible for some to move back to the mainland. You get in so deep financially that you can't get out and you become trapped. Many people have to borrow money from family to get out and back to the mainland.
People keep referring to the beaches like they are some personal playground. They are often crowded with homeless people living on them.
The tourist view of Hawaii is very different than living there. The beauty of the islands is a major factor for all of us who love being there, but the Aloha spirit is also a form of laziness. These people have no opportunities, especially today with the poor economy, and the ones that do move to Las Vegas for work. Do you want your children to lack motivation and think nothing is of urgency or not always be reaching for the stars?
I would think long and hard before uprooting my family, or even as a couple. In my opinion, visit there yearly and continue to love it, but it's doubtful you will make a great life there unless you are willing to make many many sacrifices. I would NEVER sacrifice the education of my children for the blind need of "living in paradise."
Good luck to you and please think as a responsible parent, not as a dreamer otherwise your life could potentially go from what is normal for you to a nightmare financially. The toll it will take on your children when you're always broke and they are poorly educated is not worth it to live near palm trees and a beach. Once they've grown and have lost out on many opportunities, their ignorance cannot be remedied by turning back time. Maybe it's you that wants to live in paradise, but if your children could comprehend the full situation on an adult level, they would not want to live someplace where they can't have access to the same cultural activities, museums and so forth. Sure there are some great things, but they will be limited in so many ways. Want them to learn about the Hawaiin culture? Then take them on vacation every year.

I know someone single who is a professional who moved to Maui and has hinted at their misery after only a year. I cannot stress enough how great Hawaii is for a vacation, but how it places limits on your lifestyle and future. Sure, if you're a trust fund babe who likes to surf all day it's your place. But otherwise unless you're a native you are in for a HUGE surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: