U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 PM

53 posts, read 462,233 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea how to get my dogs to Hawaii other than shipping in cargo of a major carrier? My dogs are old and I have friends who workk for airlines and I hear about what happens and the deaths, etc.

I was wondering if there is another way to get them there that would be easier on them and I would be able to be with them for the trip.

I just called Hawaiian Airlines to inquire and the woman was so not helpful. I got a bunch of 1 word answers from her.

I found an Australian Cruise line but after calling I found out the dogs were not allowed off the ship and it is a manditory round trip. So that was out.

This is a huge issue for me and if I can't find an alternative then I will have to just wait to move until they are no longer here

Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,261,642 times
If your dogs are small enough, you might try ATA airlines. From another website I found they allow small pet carriers as carry-on luggage. Your dogs will have to go through animal quarantine upon arrival in Hawaii.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Shipping Dogs

My dogs are 60# huskies I thought they did away with Quarantine about 3 years ago as long as you can produce shot records and the dogs have been micro chipped.

I thought I remembered they have to be taken in and go to a vet and then they are cleared as soon as the records are reviewed. I remember it was a bunch of work to do it but the quarantine was a thing of the past???

If my dogs had to so through that then I wouldn't bother either.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,261,642 times
They will have to go through airport animal quarantine, but if everything is in order, they will be passed on to you quickly. (usually within a few minutes.)

Old 07-26-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Shipping Dogs

Ok Cool. Yeah that was good news. Now I just have to figure out how to get them there. I know there has to be another way besides cargo. I am sure rich people when they travel, they are not putting their dogs with the luggage and the boxes. Not all of them have private jets.

I have a friend of mine who breeds hunter and jumper horses and she is using Fed Ex to ship a foal from Florida to Washington state! LOL So there are always options.

I just have to look and find it.

Old 07-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Location: Living in San Diego but moving to Leilani Estates in September
1 posts, read 33,799 times
Smile Shipping Animal to Hawaii

I am shipping two cats, five large dogs and four exotic birds to Hilo, Hawaii. A very nice lady at Animal Land is helping me, Dana Siler. DSiler@petmovers.com. They will be in a seperate temperature controlled area of cargo with an attendent.

All the animals have to be micro chipped, vaccines up to date, a health certificate issued no sooner than 7 days before departure and here is the tricky one: a rabbies titer has be drawn at least 120 days before entering Hawaii.

Two of the dogs did not pass the initial titer, but we had given them a rabies booster at the time we did the first one so they passed a month later.

With all the paperwork done in advance, I can take them home right from the airport.

Caroline

Old 07-28-2006, 09:46 PM

HI Thanks for your post. What carrier are they going on? ALso, what do you mean there is an attendant with them??? You mean an attendant stays in cargo with them?

Oh this would be great if I could get a way to get them over there. All my hunting for alternative places to live on the mainland would end

Thanks for your time.

Leilani

Old 08-05-2006, 02:42 PM

33 posts, read 291,643 times
All the animals have to be micro chipped, vaccines up to date, a health certificate issued no sooner than 7 days before departure and here is the tricky one: a rabbies titer has be drawn at least 120 days before entering Hawaii.

We just moved to Hawaii and shipped our dog over via cargo on United Airlines. I concur with the above statement. It is a PROCESS that has to begin months in advance. We had to get our dog the rabies test done in March in order to ship her in July. You have to have all vaccinations current, have a microchip put in, as well as get a health certificate from the Vet within 10 days of departure. There is a fee of about $165.00 that has to be paid to the Hawaii dept of Agriculture, and you must send it along with the the original copies of the vaccinations at least 10 days prior to your pet arriving.

Then there are the Airline guidelines. You must have the proper crate, properly labeled, must include the health certificate, feeding instructions, food/water, etc. We have a lab/shepherd mix (around 60-65 lbs) and it cost us between 500-600 dollars to ship her via United Cargo from San Francisco to Honolulu. Add to that the cost of the crate, vet visits, Hawaii Dept of Agriculture fee, and it was darned near $1000. But we love our dog - what else could we do?

After all of that, our dog arrived safe and sound and we were able to claim her very quickly after her flight. All that to say, if you do your homework and get everything in order, you can bypass any quarantine. But it will cost you some $$$. Another thing I would recommend is to call Hawaii Dept of Agriculture after sending your paperwork to ensure that they received it and that you will be able to pick up the animals at the airport.

Good Luck!!

Old 09-02-2006, 01:05 AM

35 posts, read 215,093 times
J-Lu you know what you're talking about! My husband is in the Army and we were stationed in Hawaii. We left the island with our dogs that we adopted while there. Then we thought that there was a chance we'd be returning, so I made sure I had the rabies titer done well in advance, like J-Lu said, 120 days before entering Hawaii. If not, they'll have to go through some sort of quarantine. We never ended up going back, but it was done just in case. Anyway, if it turns out you have to fly them, we found Delta had a set price of $75 per dog. We were flying all the way to the east coast, so had to change planes twice. I was a nervous wreck the whole time, thinking about my babies! The flight attendents let me know that my dogs were boarded safely on to each flight, which was nice. So you might want to check that out. My dogs are young, 4 and 5 years now, but I hated having to fly them. We had them sedated, but still, it's so traumatic for the poor babies.
Good luck with it all. I wish you the best.
Nikki

Old 09-11-2006, 06:13 AM

41 posts, read 153,687 times
People do not stay with the dogs in cargo - I ship a lot (since the 70's, I'm a breeder) though and I have never had a problem as long as I make sure where they are coming from is not too hot or too cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii