Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 PM

5 posts, read 13,635 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - just looking for a little advice and insight would be great!!

Hubby, My two kids ( ages 4 and 1) and I just returned from an amazing vacation on oahu - We absoulutly loved it there -The people were awesome, the food was great, the beaches were amazing, the surf was great... (except honolulu and Waikiki- too busy for us) We have been wanting to move for sometime now, just had not found a place we thought we would be happy yet. We currently live near the seattle area, and HATE it. We can not stand the lifestyle here, everyone is rude / materialistic and busy busy busy... not to mention the weather sucks! we need a change!

We just are not sure oahu is the right island? It was a tad busy for us, but we loved it anyways. are the other islands cheaper & less busy?

How is the construction buisness? - Hubby works in construction and I am just a stay at home mom- so we are not wealthy but are simple people - we just want to surf and enjoy the beach, is there afforadable renting?? I have looked and all I have found is about $2000 a month for a 3bdrm...which we could do, but things would be tight.
What is a good amount we should save up before trying to move over there?

How are the schools my daughter will be going into kindergarten this fall?
And the Medical?
We are thinking we will need to just sell all our belongings and start over? Or is there a way to ship some stuff?
Also what is a good town for the kids? We stayed in Kailua - which was okay but we really loved north shore, but did not see many housing areas? I have heard its really expensive also, but we really didnt notice it being that bad? Is it just rent / electric, etc...that gets you?
Thanks for any advice!!! =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Much info in the "sticky" at the top of this forum:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawaii/567728-hawaii-city-city-island-island-answers.html

Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 PM

91 posts, read 419,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Ember View Post
Hi everyone - just looking for a little advice and insight would be great!!

Hubby, My two kids ( ages 4 and 1) and I just returned from an amazing vacation on oahu - We absoulutly loved it there -The people were awesome, the food was great, the beaches were amazing, the surf was great... (except honolulu and Waikiki- too busy for us) We have been wanting to move for sometime now, just had not found a place we thought we would be happy yet. We currently live near the seattle area, and HATE it. We can not stand the lifestyle here, everyone is rude / materialistic and busy busy busy... not to mention the weather sucks! we need a change!
Does Seattle really suck that much? Seems like there are a lot of Seattle folk who want to move to HI. I've never been to Seattle personally.

Vacationed in HI and now you want to move? --> get ready for the deluge of negative comments from current HI residents!

Be smart and move to Maui -- then we can be neighbors!!

-V

Old 02-09-2010, 08:29 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
mangococonut, please slow down and take a deep breath. So far on this thread you've been offended twice (and we're just on the first page!). Let's just get back to answering the OPs questions.

K.Ember, based on the current economy in Hawaii and based on the poor performance of most of the schools, people ARE going to tell you that moving to Hawaii right now is not a good idea. Especially with your husband in construction. Like mdand3boys suggested, there have already been lots of postings on here about both the lack of jobs and the sad situation with the funding of the educational system. You should spend time looking through those.

You should probably wait it out in Seattle for a while. Hopefully the economy will get better, tourists will return to the islands, and people will be building houses and stores again.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Does Seattle really suck that much? Seems like there are a lot of Seattle folk who want to move to HI. I've never been to Seattle personally.

Vacationed in HI and now you want to move? --> get ready for the deluge of negative comments from current HI residents!

Be smart and move to Maui -- then we can be neighbors!!

-V
Hi!

Well, we actually live in puyallup which is a lot smaller than seattle, but its still not fun! Its just not for us personally. Its cold - we spend 75% of the year indoors...our summer is only about 2 weeks of really nice weather. And dont even get me started on the people....We have no friends because we just can not stand people - everything revolves around what your wearing/ driving etc... makes me want to puke. & NO ONE has any manners or courtesy. You need a lot of "stuff" to keep you entertained here, and I would rather be outside enjoying life than have all this unessasary stuff. I just want a laid back simple life Plus i LOVE the ocean, always have - and I surf, so hawaii seems like a good choice to me. Ya we were on oahu for a month and pretty much fell in LOVE with north shore instantly. I miss it so much.
We are thinking of checking out maui!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

[quote=Dreaming of Hawaii;12822131]mangococonut, please slow down...

Thanks a bunch for the info!
We are thinking in the next year or two ( just doing the research now) , we want to save up some first anyways, so hopefully by then the economy picks up

Thanks again for answering!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Okay so new question, If Hawaii is not a good idea, where would be a good place for us to check out? We would like sun, sand, surf (near by at least-within an hour) easy-going chill people, consutruction work , afforadable housing/renting and moderate schooling Oh and not a city...we prefer less people!

Thanks!!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:00 PM

67 posts, read 257,894 times
K. Ember, We also want to move to Hawaii...if that doesn't work out for you though, how about CA or FL? Lots of outdoor opportunities there, but the humidity in FL is a killer.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Ember View Post
Okay so new question, If Hawaii is not a good idea, where would be a good place for us to check out? We would like sun, sand, surf (near by at least-within an hour) easy-going chill people, consutruction work , afforadable housing/renting and moderate schooling Oh and not a city...we prefer less people!

Thanks!!
Mexico?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM

229 posts, read 929,290 times
Belize, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Florida Keys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii