Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM

11 posts, read 28,938 times

Advertisements

I miss you, I miss you bad. I miss your beautiful waters, gorgeous mountains, winding roads, flowers, breezes, smells, foods that you can only get there, that are made with love. Most of all I miss your people, who welcomed me with open and loving arms. I felt the presence of God strongly here, He loves you.
I lived in your beautiful island of Oahu for just over 2 years, ( left to help my parents, long story). Have thought of moving back almost daily. I now live in florida, I am as far as you can get from Hawaii. My husband and I met in Hawaii, so we both daydream all the time of returning one day to what we will always claim home. Cause even though we are not locals, we felt more at home in your islands than anywhere else. I am a so cal girl and I have always loved and been proud to be from so cal. Mountains, ocean, lots to do, but after living in Hawaii, EVERYWHERE else is ruined for me.
So since I cannot move back, at least not yet, because we have a 2 year old precious angel with down syndrome and we have to think of him before moving. He gets great services here. Since we cannot move back I will come to you here and through family back home to get a little closer.
I ask myself all the time, "why did we leave?" Beat ourselves up, but we felt we were doing what God called us to, and what he calls us to do is not always what we want.
So Hawaii, Thank you for showing me nothing but love, aloha to you.
I pray that one day, we pray that one day God will bring us back to your sacred land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,720 times
I was just reading what you wrote about your strong desire to be back in Hawaii and it really hit home for me. I lived on the island of Maui for 10 years, and my husband and I felt it was time to move back to the "mainland" to be closer to our family. It is very nice being close to family and not have to fly across the ocean to see everyone, but I have such a strong desire to be back "home" to the islands, it's crazy. I feel that if you are meant to be in Hawaii, then it will welcome you back. I can relate with your statement how it is hard to live anywhere else because it's hard to compare anything to living in Hawaii. I hope some day I will make it back to the islands as I hope someday you will make it back!! It was nice reading your post knowing someone else felt the same way I feel =)

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
OP, what a beautiful post! Thank you so much for choosing to do the right thing for your son. So many people post here that they just HAVE to uproot their children and move to Hawaii because they were on vacation there once and just felt they have to move there.

When we were still living in Denver, we used to go to the local Hawaiian food restaurants, such as L&L Hawaiian Barbeque, which is a national chain. They have pretty authentic plate lunches. Also we found a lady who makes leis and has lei-making parties, complete with hula demonstrations. There was an organization who had annual hula dance competitions. Maybe you can find similar things in your area in Florida.

Don't beat yourself up about leaving Hawaii. You made a decision that was right for you at that time. Just keep the Hawaiian dream alive in your heart, treat everyone you meet with aloha, and you'll be back soon!

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 08-21-2011 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
I only visited Hawaii. Got married there. I can totally see why people stay there and have a hard time leaving it. Such an exotic and cool place.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,111,240 times
After I return "home" from there I'm very depressed....

When I empty the suitcases and put stuff away, I pour the lovely Lanikai beach sand out of my sneakers and pockets, I feel I almost have the urge to eat it.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Every time I leave there (five times over the past six years), I get a hollow painful feeling in my chest.

You'd think it would just be about vacation, but I vacation routinely in the Carib, too, and it's not the same.

Some places just capture your heart. To that end, I have a fund I put money into monthly called "The Hawaii Fund." One day...

Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 PM

17 posts, read 53,208 times
I love this thread and stan4 I get that feeling in my chest too. Leaving and going...and even when I look at the picture thread on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii