Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:08 PM

20 posts, read 102,990 times

Advertisements

Currently we are planning our trip to Maui to be sure we want to move there. We have friends on the island and *may* be staying with them, or renting a condo. We haven't really decided yet. They live in North Maui, we are looking at living in South Maui. Can we get a real enough idea of island life if we stay with them up there and cruise the island during the day? Or would it be better to rent a condo where we are looking and just pretend we live there for our trip?

My husband's big reason for not wanting to move in the past was his family, but now both of his parents have passed, so he is finally on board with me and willing to take a look. Just in case we decide it isn't for us, what are some things we don't want to miss doing while we are there? We will probably be bringing our 7 year old with us, who has never even seen the ocean let alone been in water that is not a pool. And are looking at an October trip.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Oh and we were told to hit Mama's Fish House for dinner one day while there, I stopped by their website, can anyone tell me the rough price for a meal there, as I was also told it was very expensive.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM

18,418 posts, read 19,075,680 times
mamas is a world class and so is the price. you can go for lunch and not have cocktails and it is a bit more affordable, plus you will get to see the view that you miss after dark. as far as living here do you think you could get bored? can you find work?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,458,343 times
My boss has a lot to say about Mama's Fish House... It's an overpriced tourist trap. We're talking $100 meals. Steer clear.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 PM

Where we live now in hours from anything in Northwest Ontario (although I am American), just north of us is fly in only. We almost never go to the city, and when we do it's an overnight trip because it is so far of a drive. So, no, I do not think we will be bored at all. We are used to isolation.

Because of our isolation we are used to higher priced goods and services. I have actually compared with grocery ads and other necessary items, and really the cost will be very close.

As far as work goes, yes I believe we could find work, I am a 911 dispatcher (and have found those to be in demand often) and my husband is one of those people who can do just about anything. Though he is currently in communications as well (in more than one medium). Hopefully we will be able to line up work easily from here, and can also be ready for a quick trip for any job interviews that might come our way.

We have discussed this in great depth, and tossed around a few other locations, but always come back to Maui. I have a skin condition and can not handle the cold weather, I can not be outside almost at all once it hits below freezing.

Thanks for the tips on Mama's Fish House, if we go, we will plan for daytime.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM

Well someone posted a few weeks ago asking about a police dispatcher job and the pay was only like $7 or $9 an hour

Old 05-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Really? I know I posted about it before, and said it was a $9 an hour pay cut for me, but on the county website it is listed as more than that per hour. But really, we plan to be able to buy a condo outright when we get there, just need regular living costs without the rent/mortgage to worry about.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 AM

Maybe that was you and I misread.

I wouldn't buy a condo right away. It takes time to figure out where you want to live, especially in relation to jobs.

For example, I live in Wailuku so I can walk to work... But no way would I live here long term. I only get to the beach on weekends, because the good beaches are a 30 min drive away.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,596,740 times
Aloha.

I have a few questions before I give my advice.

How many times have you been to Hawaii?
How many of the Islands have you visited?
What was the longest amount of time you have spent here?
where do you stay when you visit?
what do you do when you visit?

I ask these questions because it took my wife and I 26 years to realize our dream of living in Hawaii and we actually changed Islands. Also how far into your research are you into this? This will help all of us here give you the best advice we can.

I wish you the best in your adventure

Old 05-01-2010, 01:19 AM

-Never been there.
-When we come to visit, we plan to do 2 maybe 3 islands (Maui, Oahu, and Kauai). We chose Maui as a possible home because we have friends there.
-We are planning roughly 1 week per island.
-Planning on renting a condo (in the towns we are seriously looking at), or on Maui staying with a friend.
-So far nothing, but we want to do some touristy things in case we don't come back, and some regular daily things to get a feel for how life *might* be.

We have been tossing around where to live for about 6 years now. I had planned on going to school before we moved, but that didn't happen and instead I fell into my current job. Plus we had a teenage family member wanting to live with us until she was finished with high school, and sick parents to deal with that have kept us from coming to Hawaii before now. We have done a great deal of research, and are looking for a specific lifestyle, and a specific climate for my condition.

We are also trying to decide if it would be better to move when our daughter is ready for HS or finished with HS because here in Canada she is taking school in French, and is currently learning very little English until 4th grade (although we only speak English at home - so she speaks it just fine, just the proper grammar and spelling are not where they would be in an English class). Or just go for it, and help her on our own to catch up to where she needs to be.

We have looked at other states and provinces. We have checked into New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and BC here in Canada, and New Mexico, Texas, Florida and of course Hawaii in the US. We did originally choose New Mexico, because I wanted to go to school but things have changed, and now we feel Hawaii would be the best fit.

We don't expect to be at the beach all day, we don't expect to learn how to surf in one lesson (probably won't learn at all because my husband isn't the greatest swimmer), we expect to be able to enjoy more time outside than we can now (again I can't handle the cold physically and so much of the year here is too cold for me) biking, BBQ'ing, swimming for me anyway, spending time with friends, and doing a lot of the same things we do now, all of the condos we have looked at have had a yard (checking for prices), I look forward to attempting to garden (never have before, but I want to try no matter where we live). My husband has photography as a hobby, and I imagine he will stick with it. I quilt and cook as a hobby and imagine I will keep that as well.

Basically I think we have realistic expectations, and aren't looking at this with stars in our eyes. But I do appreciate any input people can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: