Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,380 times

Advertisements

hi all,

i live in calgary, alberta and the price of living has gone threw the roof!
my soon to be wife and i have decided that if we are going to pay threw the nose to live we may as well live in a place where the weather is nice the crime is down and we can raise some kids....... so we are thinking of moving to hawaii, and we need some help. i have had a hard time finding reliable info on the cost of living i.e. morgage, food, gas, utility's,.
my soon to be is a RN and i'am an electrician, if any body has any idea if they need RN's or electrician's in hawaii that info would also be vary helpful. i thank you all vary much in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,283,602 times
Hawai'i nursing shortage critical - The Honolulu Advertiser - Hawaii's Newspaper

This article from the Honolulu Advertiser will give you a good idea of what the nursing field is like here in the islands.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 17,589 times
Hi Y'berg, If moving to Hawaii you've got to either look ethic (as in Asian) or you have to have blonde hair and be a big bruiser. I lived there many years, put up with the ethnic and/or blonde crap. Got married to an Okinawan/Japanese guy. Because I had close to black hair, after that I was 'in' - my name was Chinen. All the locals (as they call themselves) assumed I was hapa (as in hapa-haole) - meaning I was acceptable, and they assumed because of my dark hair I was part WHATEVER. Get ready for that crap if you're moving there - enjoy the weather, but don't expect to make many friends unless you look Asian, change your name or are a big blond bruiser. That's my opinion. Yea, the weather is fine most of the time. You'll be called a haole which means 'foreigner'. Hawaii people really enjoy the money the US gives them - and we give them alot. All they want IS the money from the US. If they had their way and could afford it, I believe they would cecede. Let em do it, I don't care. My opinion is, most of those people are a bunch of aholes who sure love the tourist dollar, too (they're all nice to idiot tourists), but it's of course because they have no other way to make money.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:05 AM

259 posts, read 1,914,692 times
i second the "nice to tourist" thing....i've lived here two years now and i find that everyday living is not like being on vacation here. i've had a few jobs and while people are fairly nice to me at work..i've never felt like i really fit in....if you are down vacationing by the beach, it's a whole different world of aloha.....they are all working for tips, they will be very nice, helpful, full of aloha. electricians can make decent money here, if you are a connected braddah, cousin etc. they will always give the jobs like that to the locals, it's a very "take care of our own" attidude. theres a great book out called; "so you want to live in hawaii"...take every word to heart, it's all true!....beyond that it's beautiful here no question....we've decided to move as 80% of mainlanders that move over here do within 2 years of arriving......with the money we'll save on the mainland we'll visit a few times a year, we're gonna invest in a vacation apt. so we can block out our time for our vacation here.....and yes, be near the beach so we can experience some of the great aloha and not have to live in the 2nd most expensive place in the us, pay $4.00 for a head of lettuce, commute 3 hrs. a day to honolulu, live on an island where people just don't care about termites beating down their homes, live in a $650,000 home and have 3 to 6 broken down cars sitting on the front lawn (this is very common).....here's the funny part of all this; this was a risk we took moving here, no regrets, but, knowing what we know about hawaii after moving here i wouldn't have done it......oh, and if your bringing kids or plan to have any, the school system is VERY lacking here. my grandson goes to school 2nd grade and he tells us the kids are mean to him. thats the haole hate here.....

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 27,308 times
Cyprus is a perfect example of someone who lived here and probably made no attempt to learn about the history of Hawai'i or culture that she lived in. First of all, Cyprus speaks as if Hawai’i is not part of the United States. “Hawaii people enjoy the money the US gives them” and “All they want is money form the US”. As if Hawaiians at the turn of the century wanted to have their government overthrown by U.S. businessmen. As if we're some island in the middle of the Pacific just trying to milk the USA out of all that we can. What she is too ignorant to know, is that its quite the opposite! Its is exactly this type of attitude that pisses people from Hawai’i off- and is probably why she had a negative experience. Really, I could go on and on about it, but that would need a whole other thread entirely. Point is, this woman is ignorant and don’t listen to a word she says.

Having said that, understanding the history of Hawai'i, its cultural nuances, its dependence on tourism etc., will all depend on how willing you are to educate yourself. If you know nothing at all about Hawai'i, move here, and insist on living in a bubble, then you will most likely be full of animosity just like Cyprus. My helpful suggestion to you is that if you decide to move here, read up on Hawaiian History or take a Hawaiian History course at one of the community colleges. It will make it much easier for you to understand the culture here. Anyways, I would think that anyone moving from one place to another would want to learn more about its host culture, but maybe I'm reaching.

In my opinion, if you can keep an open mind, ask questions, make an effort to learn about Hawai'i, get involved with the community around you, you will be better for it. Local people are not the a**holes that Cyprus tries to make us out to be. What I think happens for many Haole mainlanders is that they move here having been used to living in a place or culture where they don't feel like the minority and are rarely the subject of racism. They move to Hawai'i and its as if the tables are turned. The majority of the population is of Asian and mixed race, and the attitudes of some of the people here, most who have lived here for many generations, are a direct result of our history. And that history, unfortunately, does not paint Westerners in a positive light. So, it is true, there will come a time where you may be the brunt of some sort or racist attitude towards white people...and just like many other minorities all over the U.S., you will have to figure out a way to just deal with it. I am Half Hawaiian/Half Caucasian, and I lived in the mainland while I was in college- very often I experienced racism from Caucasians who thought I was Black. Do I react by calling all Caucasians a**h***s? Of course not, I put them in their place and move on.

BESIDES ALL THAT- Hawai'i is CRAZY expensive. So with your compaints about your place of origin being expensive, I can't quite understand why you would want to move here. Well, yes, its beautiful, of course. But EXPENSIVE!!! Expect to spend like $600,000 on a house that is not as large or in the condition that you may be used to. Because of this, my husband (from Michigan) and I will be moving to the mainland in the next 2 years. But the good news is that there are many RN jobs- and they pay good. But, Terrie is right, Hawai’i has one of the worst school systems, which is why many kids here go to private schools. Another reason why moving here will be expensive. So what I can tell you is, if you want to enjoy awesome weather, beautiful scenery, experience and learn more about a culture you are not familiar with, and have lots of money, go ahead- do it! Good Luck.

Last edited by Laura808; 09-12-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: mistakes

Old 09-13-2007, 12:51 AM

312 posts, read 1,635,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerberg View Post
... wife and i have decided that if we are going to pay threw the nose to live we may as well live in a place where the weather is nice ... so we are thinking of moving to hawaii...
Yes - the weather is great! Good reason to pick Hawaii.

Quote:
... ...the crime is down ... so we are thinking of moving to hawaii...
Crime is so-so, not alot of violent crimes, however quite a bit of property crimes.

Quote:
... we can raise some kids....... so we are thinking of moving to hawaii...
Bad reason to move to Hawaii, public schools are lacking.

I've stated in other threads, anyone with children - I would take Hawaii off my list of places to move. I think their education would be a top priority and it's just not good enough in Hawaii.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 8,024 times
my wife was born and raised on maui along with her 4 siblings. all went to maui public schools, and all have graduated college from USC, UH, and APU. maybe parental involvement overrides "bad" aspects of public schools.

that said all of the data supports that hawaii schools are lagging behind national averages without question. we are getting ready to move back to maui, and i have 3 kids. the oldest will be starting school next year. i realize that my wife and i are going to have to be supremely involved with our kids education. no $$$ for private school.

Last edited by mauihotdog; 09-13-2007 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,820 times
Where would one go to get more info on the public schools in Hawaii? My wife and I are both educators with little ones in southern california and are considering moving and teaching in Hawaii...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 AM

259 posts, read 1,914,692 times
riverside....search the forum for public schools and you'll get all you need to know about the public school system in HI...take every word to heart, it's all true! After reading I would hope you would change your mind about putting your kids in school in HI...unless it's private....$10,000 per yr. per student...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: