Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 39,138 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out there from Colorado had moving violations and convictions in Hawaii or just paid the fine, and then have them show up on your driving record in Colorado (and did your insurance company pick it up)? I wonder if it is worth fighting tickets to keep insurance rates down, but it would only be worth it if the violations transfer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
Has anyone out there from Colorado had moving violations and convictions in Hawaii or just paid the fine, and then have them show up on your driving record in Colorado (and did your insurance company pick it up)? I wonder if it is worth fighting tickets to keep insurance rates down, but it would only be worth it if the violations transfer.
In general, they would show up. However, not all states have reciprocal agreements with all other states. Your best bet is to contact the DMV in Colorado and inquire.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM

243 posts, read 813,328 times
Yeah I second that. I had a friend who had a suspended driver's license in Hawaii but when she moved to Tennessee, they did not say anything about it and allowed her to obtain a valid driver's license for TN. Not sure how that works but it may have something to do with that mdand3boys was saying.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
2 years ago I got a speeding ticket on Oahu that never showed on my out of state license at the time.

Personally I don't think the state is wired tight enough to perform this function.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
2 years ago I got a speeding ticket on Oahu that never showed on my out of state license at the time.

Personally I don't think the state is wired tight enough to perform this function.
Careful Balad1 - you will be accused of being negative.

When I got my license last year, I recall reading that Tennessee is one of the states that do not have a reciprocal agreement with Hawaii.

I had received a ticket from Illinois just before I moved. I paid it just days after I got my Hawaii license. I recently had to get a fresh traffic abstract (printout of your driving record) and it shows ZERO infractions. So, I got the reverse benefit. I agree with Balad1, BTW. (not that I am being negative)

Old 03-08-2010, 01:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
traffic violations may show up if the state has a reciprical agreement. If no agreement exist, each state still knows through the national drivers database, they just may not act or care about it.

Insurance is another thing, all insurance companies know all moving violations so you have no benefit anyway.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
traffic violations may show up if the state has a reciprical agreement. If no agreement exist, each state still knows through the national drivers database, they just may not act or care about it.

Insurance is another thing, all insurance companies know all moving violations so you have no benefit anyway.
Insurance companies check by driver's license number and my Illinois ticket has not affected my Hawaii insurance. They even told me "clean driving record". shhhhhh...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM

493 posts, read 1,448,122 times
We had landed in Kona a few years ago, and instead of the renting the usual SUV I had to settle for a Monte Carlo. Turning onto the main highway from the airport into town, I decided to see what it was good for. Of course, being July 4th, there was some sort of special enforcement going on and I got pulled over.

It could have been a lot worse. The officer wrote the ticket for far less than I was going; probably 70 and climbing fast. I couldn't believe that this was a 45-mph zone - in the middle of a lava field! I paid the $108 fine and that was the end of it. My insurance rate didn't go up, so I guess maybe California doesn't have reciprocal agreement with Hawaii, or it just wasn't followed through.

Here, we stand a better chance of winning big in the lottery than getting a speeding ticket!

Old 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,036,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Careful Balad1 - you will be accused of being negative.

When I got my license last year, I recall reading that Tennessee is one of the states that do not have a reciprocal agreement with Hawaii.

I had received a ticket from Illinois just before I moved. I paid it just days after I got my Hawaii license. I recently had to get a fresh traffic abstract (printout of your driving record) and it shows ZERO infractions. So, I got the reverse benefit. I agree with Balad1, BTW. (not that I am being negative)
Negative who me?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 39,138 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlowman View Post
We had landed in Kona a few years ago, and instead of the renting the usual SUV I had to settle for a Monte Carlo. Turning onto the main highway from the airport into town, I decided to see what it was good for. Of course, being July 4th, there was some sort of special enforcement going on and I got pulled over.

It could have been a lot worse. The officer wrote the ticket for far less than I was going; probably 70 and climbing fast. I couldn't believe that this was a 45-mph zone - in the middle of a lava field! I paid the $108 fine and that was the end of it. My insurance rate didn't go up, so I guess maybe California doesn't have reciprocal agreement with Hawaii, or it just wasn't followed through.

Here, we stand a better chance of winning big in the lottery than getting a speeding ticket!
They do have the reporting requirement, but I wonder if they actually are diligent about reporting violators. I hope they miss my violations as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii