U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM

48 posts, read 81,745 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I visited Oahu a few years back and had a drink at Duke's called the Hawaiian Iced Tea, the Hawaiian take on the Long Island Iced Tea drink. Does anyone have the recipe? It would be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,618,361 times
  • 1/2 oz vodka
  • 1/2 oz light rum
  • 1/2 oz tequila
  • 1/2 oz gin
  • 1/2 oz triple sec
  • 1 oz sour mix
  • 1 oz pineapple juice
Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:42 AM

48 posts, read 81,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
  • 1/2 oz vodka
  • 1/2 oz light rum
  • 1/2 oz tequila
  • 1/2 oz gin
  • 1/2 oz triple sec
  • 1 oz sour mix
  • 1 oz pineapple juice
Good luck!
Great! Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 PM

10,793 posts, read 20,827,593 times
Ha! I just KNEW there had to be pineapple in there somewhere. Why does every "Hawaiian" recipe have to have pineapple in it? Betcha "Hawaiian Chicken Soup" would have pineapple listed in it somewhere. How many pineapples do the folks who write recipes think we eat anyway?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 AM

243 posts, read 755,694 times
Hotzcatz...

I completely agree with you. It's so annoying to see mainland restaurants serving "Hawaiian" recipes that include either pineapples or some kind of teriyaki sauce. I think you should create a thread about that. LOL

Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM

820 posts, read 2,832,197 times
Yes, well, that's what agricultural marketing will get you. Perhaps now that pineapple production has been nearly eliminated, we'll start to see recipes with ... what?... Can't do sugar cane, since sugar is now on the evil side of dietary advice. GMO corn?

Poi? Not gonna happen. Can't see poi on the menus or in recipe books, unless someone starts to market it as Hawaiian grits, or Hawaiian polenta.

Mac nuts are already there. I just can't get excited about mac nut encrusted fish dishes these days, they are over-offered and seem more like an expected inclusion on restaurant menus, rather than something the chef really considered.

I'm not saying there aren't many fine Hawaiian foods. I'm just trying to imagine what key ingredient might be widely, commercially accepted.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Mainland folks perception of Hawaii has been so skewed by the advertising done by Hawaii Visitors Bureau for so long, I doubt there's anything we can do to change their ideas. As for adding in the agricultural marketers, other than mac nuts, what's left? Sugar is gone. Pineapple is gone. We have ginger, papaya, purple sweet potatoes and coffee as our major agriculture these days, don't we? At least, those are common in my area of this island. Those aren't grown in the same massive quantities as sugar and pineapple were, though. At least, not that I know of. We have a lot of grass fed beef on my island, but I don't know how much of it is shipped away.

Maybe fresh ginger should be the next "Hawaiian" ingredient? We use a lot of it around here, it always seems to be used in things. True sweet potatoes might be a "Hawaiian" ingredient, but can folks on the mainland even get any of them? Don't they just have those orange yams? We make a nice mixed potato salad using helehele, uala piko and two other varieties of sweets as well as some Irish potatoes. Sometimes just a hint of ginger is tossed in that, too.

There's always feral pig, but the closest mainland folks could get would be corn fed pork, no doubt. I think a true Hawaiian recipe would be difficult for mainland folks to replicate.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:05 PM

649 posts, read 3,292,899 times
Uh, Coconut, maybe??? All I know is that since we moved here and made friends with a coco-tree climber, who shares my hubby's passion for, well, I don't know how to put it, 'homemade' food production I guess, just about everything he cooks, from baked goods to curries to lemonade to... has some coconut by-product in it. Coconut milk, coconut water, coconut meat - they use every part except the husk (which they're thinking of shredding for I-don't-know-what, building products or garden mulch or something).

And I for one eat at least a pineapple a week, wherever they are grown. I have two plants in my yard that are flowering, so I'll have home-grown pineapple eventually.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:15 PM

820 posts, read 2,832,197 times
So obvious, how could I forget coconut? Except that a lot of coconut is inexpensively available from other nations, and is often the choice commercially. In our new Whole Foods, there was local fresh coconut, out of the shell, in a plastic container. But at $5.89-ish per container, it wasn't a cheap snack food.

I had someone on the mainland ask me to send them some packaged dried coconut, in the string form, not flakes or grains. It was kind of harder to find, and what I sent them was organic unsweetened. Turns out they preferred the sweetened kind, as that was the remembered taste for an old family recipe. Oh well.

Purple potatoes are a great potential. Maybe not fresh, but in prepared dishes for sure. We see purple potatoes on a few menus, but not as many as there could be.

OK, who has a great recipe using either local fresh coconut and/or purple potatoes? Something you think would wow your visiting friends and doesn't take a lot of utensils or time to prepare?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 AM

We make potato salad with purple potatoes and it is pretty good. Just use the regular potato salad recipe. We also just peel them, cut them in fairly large chunks, boil or steam them then keep them in the refrigerator for snacking on.

There is a hydraulic coconut cracker in the backyard so they are much easier to open now. We usually just eat them raw or sometimes I toast the coconut a bit. One of these days I've been considering making soap out of them, but usually they get eaten too quickly. People like coconut, dogs like coconut, chickens like coconut and rabbits like coconut. So far the cat has been resistant to the lure of coconut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii