Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 06:13 AM

5 posts, read 33,026 times

Advertisements

Have lived in Honolulu for 20+ years; am moving to Seattle and have researched food prices online at Safeway.com according to this weeks sale. You can put in zip codes and compare prices. This is what I've found: Honolulu prices vs Seattle prices
Milk: $5.00 vs. 2.69; Kelloggs Cereal: $4.49 vs. $2.50; Whole chicken: $1.49/lb. vs. $.69/lb.; Toilet paper: $6.00 vs. $5.00; Roses for Valentines Day: $28.99 vs. $21.99; Can of tuna fish: $1.00 vs. $.88; Macaroni and Cheese: $1.40 vs. $.80. Plus add sales tax of almost 5%.

Only Safeway and Costco have milk at $5.00; Times and Foodland are always higher, more like $6.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 74,789 times
Aloha!
Can someone give me some direct links for supermarkets prices? something like this

Continente Online

Also would love some links to exclusively from Hawaii so I could compare prices

I haven't read full topic so I'm sorry about that but I would be really pleased if you guys could throw some links!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Alice!; 02-18-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: fix

Old 03-27-2008, 02:53 AM

18 posts, read 128,688 times
I'm from San Francisco and I routinely pay at least $40 more on groceries every time I go to Safeway and KTA here in Hawaii. I never even buy a whole cart load of food and somehow I'm spending nearly $100 on a few groceries. It's getting quite frustrating. The reason for the very recent increase on prices for...about everything in the supermarket is because of the rising fuel costs combined with Hawaii's far off location from mainland distributors. The same story has been in the newspapers every week since especially since the presidential primaries.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 AM

12 posts, read 50,830 times
Default Milk prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsa View Post
I totally agree! Thats all I hear from different people oh my god hawaii is so expensive. I live in boston and vacationed in hawaii 3 times. I LOVE HAWAII!!!
Look again at the Foodland ad. Milk is $3.99 a HALF gallon---that makes it $8 a gallon!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 AM

7 posts, read 34,672 times
Exclamation Too expensive to live, I never eat...

When I first moved here, to Maui, Haiku to be exact, I went to the market and I got staples: milk, bread, eggs, cheese, some fruit...less than 10 items, when I got to the register my total way about $85 dollars! If you look at Sperlings.com it has a great "price of living" calulator. Hawaii is 118% higher than the US average! Places such as Portland are 9%....need I say more. I AM STARVING AND BROKE.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 12,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingchic View Post
When I first moved here, to Maui, Haiku to be exact, I went to the market and I got staples: milk, bread, eggs, cheese, some fruit...less than 10 items, when I got to the register my total way about $85 dollars! If you look at Sperlings.com it has a great "price of living" calulator. Hawaii is 118% higher than the US average! Places such as Portland are 9%....need I say more. I AM STARVING AND BROKE.
We are surprised at this, are you sure you are shopping at cheapest places? We live in Kiev, Ukraine and want to move to Maui... we're comparing the prices to here and they are cheaper in Hawaii than in Kiev!?!

Maybe Americans find it so expensive because they are used to cheap prices for so many years.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:49 AM

100 posts, read 335,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingchic View Post
I realize you have to get a few things at the grocery store..thats pretty unavoidable..but even with the high costs in Hawaii its fairly easy to get creative and keep the food bill low.....two words - farmers markets!!! You can get quality foods, and an abundance of them..at very low prices! And they are better for you...no reason to spend all your money on food, and no reason to starve.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:37 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If you get all your food from a grocery store and eat the same things that you do where ever you came from, then you probably can't afford to live here.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:44 AM

47 posts, read 147,777 times
lets be official, though the markets a much different take a look at local bought foods....craigslist chicken eggs 4.00 to 5.00 local in SC 2.50 may be even 3.00...fruit is even high locally and it is hawaii....I figure by saying the name fruits of flavors, sizes and textures should be abundant...thus yielding low prices...but I have seen avocados in foodland over 2.00 (regular small ones) in downtown honolulu, huge avocados in a independant store for no more than 4.00 kona town, and here in SC (far from hi) 99 cent to 1.30 regular small size...

I figure if someone gets the right technique the customer can be supplied with fruits, eggs, may be even meats, vegetable for decent price...what with constant heat and rain...what disease and flooded crops killing the prices so it would not be profitable for hawaii

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 AM

47 posts, read 147,777 times
HawaiiboundNelli,

great statement applied....

Also, by going you get to meet some of the growers and owner of the farms...ask them a few questions...talk stories...even pick your favorite amongst many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii