Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM

25 posts, read 44,380 times

Advertisements

Seems like this should be an easy question to answer, but I can't find it on line.. I'll be turning 66 in a couple of months, and retiring (hopefully) soon after. I enrolled in Part A when I turned 65 but not B or D as I am covered under my employers group plan, as is my wife. I know I have a special enrollment window of 8 months past my retirement date (when my group plan ends) but I'm trying to learn if/when I should enroll before I leave my job and when Medicare will actually start. I've heard some horror stories of people being without insurance for months. I'm hoping that it was just a case of not enrolling on time as I will need insurance as soon as my group insurance ends, or at least soon after.
(Actual question in italics)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 02:13 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,678,770 times
We have several local SS offices, all of which I've visited at one time or another without an appointment. Never had to wait more than 20 minutes.

You will need to bring a certificate of creditable coverage or other evidence showing employer coverage to avoid a late-enrollment penalty. Your retirement package should contain this.

Some of the horror stories you've heard may be because claimant was enrolling in Parts A & B at the same time and had not been collecting SS. My sister was told to apply for SS and Medicare three months in advance of when she wanted it to begin.

My situation was different. Probably b/c I was already enrolled in Part A and collecting benefits while working, getting Part B coverage effective in less than a month was not a problem for me, I, too, was enrolled in Part A at age 65 in April 2005, and continued to work over another two years. I began collecting SS at FRA in February 2008, and continued to work for another 18 months. I lost my job on Friday, Sept. 3, 2009, went to the SS office on Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2009, enrolled in Medicare Part B, with coverage effective immediately the following month, October 1, 2009. I had no coverage gap whatsoever. I did not enroll in Part D b/c employer Medigap covered drugs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-19-2015 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,132,666 times
A appointment is wise; as not all are not long waits if you just show up.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:41 PM

The reason I DO NOT use appointments is b/c - first, you have to wait weeks and weeks to get in, and, more importantly, because of my zipcode, I am sent to a not very good part of town (not even in my city of residence) and not accessible by freeway - when another office is just five minutes away - still not in my city, but very close by.

STUPID.

So, I do not set appointments. I just walk in. And, if it's a more complicated issue, I go to the downtown office - only ten minutes away on the freeway - which is larger with a better grade of employee.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-19-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,132,666 times
Huh; just called and made appoint for mine and wife. Within a week we were there ;in and seen at appointed. time. Meanwhile people were in and taking a number to wait until someone was free .Guess they operate differently in places.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 AM

I never call SS or Medicare (or anything else w/an 800 no. for that matter) for anything b/c navigating the phone tree takes a longer than getting in my car and driving ten minutes to the nearest office - plus I absolutely HATE automated phone trees.

Further, after I've navigated that ridiculous phone tree with all its stupid prompts and responses, then have wait even longer for someone to answer, and on top of that I'm sent to an office in a very sketchy neighborhood - b/c that's the office for my zipcode - nevermind I don't live anywhere near that office.

Finally, I don't want an appointment. Much rather get in my car at the time of day I want, drive five minutes and wait in the office of my choice on the day I feel liking going - not one appointed for me.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-20-2015 at 01:11 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM

[quote=Ariadne22;38511898]We have several local SS offices, all of which I've visited at one time or another without an appointment. Never had to wait more than 20 minutes.

You will need to bring a certificate of creditable coverage or other evidence showing employer coverage to avoid a late-enrollment penalty. Your retirement package should contain this.

Your answer raises more questions; Certificate of creditable coverage or other evidence of coverage???
I've never seen a Certificate of Creditable Coverage. I called my new (employer based group) insurance coverage about this and all they sent was another "Welcome to the Plan" letter and new cards.. will these suffice?
Another one "Your retirement package should contain this" - as of the first of the year all of our benefits management has been 'farmed out' to Mercer. I called them about a retirement package they didn't know what I was talking about. Our local HR knows nothing and keeps telling me to call Mercer..
Am i going to need an attorney to retire???

Old 02-23-2015, 12:15 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,247,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregreyeveryday View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
We have several local SS offices, all of which I've visited at one time or another without an appointment. Never had to wait more than 20 minutes.

Your answer raises more questions; Certificate of creditable coverage or other evidence of coverage???
I've never seen a Certificate of Creditable Coverage. I called my new (employer based group) insurance coverage about this and all they sent was another "Welcome to the Plan" letter and new cards.. will these suffice?
Another one "Your retirement package should contain this" - as of the first of the year all of our benefits management has been 'farmed out' to Mercer. I called them about a retirement package they didn't know what I was talking about. Our local HR knows nothing and keeps telling me to call Mercer..
Am i going to need an attorney to retire???
The "certificate of creditable coverage" is essentially a form letter that says your employer's health and prescription coverage is at least as good as Medicare B and D. If your HR department seems not to know what it is, just tell them you need a letter stating that your health/prescription plan is as good as Medicare. You'll get the form letter in short order.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:24 PM

7,549 posts, read 13,754,020 times
OP,

Have you tried calling the ex-employer's insurance co. directly for the Cert ?

"A certificate must also be provided free of charge upon request while you have health coverage or within 24 months after your coverage ends."

See http://www.dol.gov/elaws/ebsa/health...table_Coverage

Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
OP,

Have you tried calling the ex-employer's insurance co. directly for the Cert ?

"A certificate must also be provided free of charge upon request while you have health coverage or within 24 months after your coverage ends."

See http://www.dol.gov/elaws/ebsa/health...table_Coverage
I am still working, trying to get things together so I can retire. I've been with this company for almost 28 years, but last fall the company was spun off from the original corporate to form a new separate company. Nobody (managing the 'new' company) seems to know anything and I'm being told that all of our "benefit management" has been farmed out. When I call the new benefit management company it's "oh, we don't do that."
I've got a little time left to get it sorted out, but in the meantime, thanks for the link. I've recorded it and printed it out along with the "Model Special Enrollment Notice" in case I need to hand deliver it to HR.

Oh, Forgot - Yes I did call the insurance company. All they sent was new cards & the "Wellcome To" letter.

Last edited by moregreyeveryday; 02-24-2015 at 04:51 AM.. Reason: Post Script
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance