Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times

Advertisements

"Retired chemist Edward Schokowitz was incredulous when he received a letter from Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey early last month saying his Medicare Advantage Plan, which had no premium, would be eliminated next year. “They took all the senior citizens and threw us out of the plan. They now want to give us the same plan for $153 [per month],” he told the Daily Caller. Private insurance companies that cover patients with government funds under the Medicare Advantage program have quietly started to dump doctors and patients because of Obamacare budget cuts. In 2014, New Jersey Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield is eliminating all zero-premium plans with prescription drug coverage and all but two of its other plans with monthly fees...“Approximately 80 percent of counties in the South and Midwest will see a reduction in MA plan options, while slightly more than half of the counties in the Northeast and West will have fewer plan options.”...According to Forbes magazine, Citi health industry analyst Carl McDonald told clients on February 18 that he expected 7 to 8 percent cuts to the Medicare Advntage program in 2014."

article is 3 pages:

Seniors lose insurance AND doctors under Obamacare | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Nope. My MA coverage hasn't changed worth talking about, nor has the premium - still zero. Although it is now pure HMO - with the same very broad network - for now.

I, however, am leaving it for a hd-F Medigap because I don't want the HMO aspect, and I expect UHC will reduce its currently very broad network similar to what it has done in CT and FL. Plus, I don't like UHC as an Advantage carrier.

MA plans were long predicted to be affected because they have been OVERPAID 14% for years and years for administering Medicare benefits.

MA plans received $700 per month per enrollee. Now, incrementally, MA's will be seeing some small reductions in that huge $700/mo. payment.

Boo hoo. Not crying. They've been making out like bandits for years.

The REAL problem is NOT cuts to Medicare. The REAL problem is the extortion by the insurance companies, unwilling to give up their profit margins, their cushy perks, bonuses, remunerations. Seeing as how they've bought the Congress lock, stock, and barrel, the govt. of "we the people" is once again forcing the taxpayer to foot the bill for its corporate masters.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-11-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,821,511 times
I don't think that the better ones will go away. However, although UHC is huge in this market they have a miserable reputation among both their customers and providers. If it weren't for their advertisements and alliance with AARP I think that they could be in serious trouble. There are a couple of others like them. It will be interesting to see if Medicare actually enforces its Advantage star ratings, dropping them after a certain period of time if their ratings don't improve.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I don't think that the better ones will go away. However, although UHC is huge in this market they have a miserable reputation among both their customers and providers. If it weren't for their advertisements and alliance with AARP I think that they could be in serious trouble. There are a couple of others like them. It will be interesting to see if Medicare actually enforces its Advantage star ratings, dropping them after a certain period of time if their ratings don't improve.
I'll ask again...can you back this up?
You seem to have no problem slamming different companies. It would be nice to know from what you've formed such opinions.
Here's a rating site. UHC doesn't appear to be too bad. I can certainly say we've never had one single problem with them and my husband accounts for a whole hellova lots claims

Best Health Insurance Companies - 2013 | Insure.com

Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,507,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Here's a rating site. UHC doesn't appear to be too bad. I can certainly say we've never had one single problem with them and my husband accounts for a whole hellova lots claims

Best Health Insurance Companies - 2013 | Insure.com
But your DH is on a Medigap F - not an Advantage plan.

Of course, no problems with Medigaps because there is nothing for UHC to deny. If Medicare pays, UHC pays its 20%/excess - no question, none.

Further, did you read your link? Only 54% approval rating. Bottom of the list, just about.

Weichert is talking about Advantage plans - a whole DIFFERENT kettle of fish. I am currently on a UHC MA - it's managed care - which can be an HMO, PPO - leaving this plan because UHC plays games with payment to it providers. I've had this experience as have many others. Many providers won't accept the UHC Advantage because "it doesn't pay."

From your link:
Quote:
  • I have had this company for many years now and have never had any problems whatsoever.
  • I've had several doctors tell me that they won't work with United because of how hard the claims process is for them.
  • It has great coverage and no referral needed at all..
  • I have no problem getting the coverage i need.
  • Easy to contact & very helpful.
  • Too many hoops to go through to get approval for an MRI.
I would need qualification on the "never had any problems" - were these Medigaps, MA's, private. The last two are problems. My son/dil certainly had problems - denial of an in-network provider as out-of-network, which they WERE NOT, absolutely. I had a problem on a simple MA doctor visit. Denied claim, never sent EOBs. I finally got them to pay. Recounted my story elsewhere many times on CD. Nightmare run-around. Another doc I saw for simple ear exam - they didn't pay for year. I can't deal with this as I age, so I'm leaving their MA. One health system in TN won't accept their MA because "they don't pay." There are many others which say the same thing.

My sister, an RN, says getting UHC approval is a nightmare for patients on private plans.

Again, I do think their Medigaps are OK - which is why you've had no problem - but Medigaps are NOT Advantage plans, or private plans, for that matter.

Further, their CS is not very good - they pretty much lie to your face, in my experience.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:15 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,373,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
But your DH is on a Medigap F - not an Advantage plan.

Of course, no problems with Medigaps because there is nothing for UHC to deny. If Medicare pays, UHC pays its 20%/excess - no question, none.

Further, did you read your link? Only 54% approval rating. Bottom of the list, just about.

Weichert is talking about Advantage plans - a whole DIFFERENT kettle of fish. I am currently on a UHC MA - it's managed care - which can be an HMO, PPO - leaving this plan because UHC plays games with payment to it providers. I've had this experience as have many others. Many providers won't accept the UHC Advantage because "it doesn't pay."

From your link:I would need qualification on the "never had any problems" - were these Medigaps, MA's, private. The last two are problems. My son/dil certainly had problems - denial of an in-network provider as out-of-network, which they WERE NOT, absolutely. I had a problem on a simple MA doctor visit. Denied claim, never sent EOBs. I finally got them to pay. Recounted my story elsewhere many times on CD. Nightmare run-around. Another doc I saw for simple ear exam - they didn't pay for year. I can't deal with this as I age, so I'm leaving their MA. One health system in TN won't accept their MA because "they don't pay." There are many others which say the same thing.

My sister, an RN, says getting UHC approval is a nightmare for patients on private plans.

Again, I do think their Medigaps are OK - which is why you've had no problem - but Medigaps are NOT Advantage plans, or private plans, for that matter.

Further, their CS is not very good - they pretty much lie to your face, in my experience.

They are government regulated (Medigap)

Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,821,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'll ask again...can you back this up?
You seem to have no problem slamming different companies. It would be nice to know from what you've formed such opinions.
| Insure.com[/url]
Sure, I can back this up. Go to google, take a look at the complaints re UHC. There are LOTS of them. You wouldn't believe what UHC has put people thru.

Last edited by Weichert; 11-11-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Weichert is talking about Advantage plans - a whole DIFFERENT kettle of fish.
I humbly accept my bashing

Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Retired chemist Edward Schokowitz was incredulous when he received a letter from Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey early last month saying his Medicare Advantage Plan, which had no premium, would be eliminated next year. “They took all the senior citizens and threw us out of the plan. They now want to give us the same plan for $153 [per month],” he told the Daily Caller. Private insurance companies that cover patients with government funds under the Medicare Advantage program have quietly started to dump doctors and patients because of Obamacare budget cuts. In 2014, New Jersey Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield is eliminating all zero-premium plans with prescription drug coverage and all but two of its other plans with monthly fees...“Approximately 80 percent of counties in the South and Midwest will see a reduction in MA plan options, while slightly more than half of the counties in the Northeast and West will have fewer plan options.”...According to Forbes magazine, Citi health industry analyst Carl McDonald told clients on February 18 that he expected 7 to 8 percent cuts to the Medicare Advntage program in 2014."

article is 3 pages:

Seniors lose insurance AND doctors under Obamacare | The Daily Caller
Soooo, just who else, besides Senior Citizens, would be on this Medical Advantage plan. Just another example of terrible reporting...

Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 AM

748 posts, read 1,376,754 times
The medicare advantage plans are not affected by the ACA but a lot of doctors dont like this type of coverage because of the way they are paid by medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance