U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:58 AM

7,517 posts, read 17,672,688 times

Advertisements

Even though I've been with VA Medical on-and-off since 1988, I took Medicare B last year when I turned 65. When that happened, wife and I also got a Supplement Insurance and Rx Plan for me. Being that I'm not "Service Connected" with the VA, I don't get quick treatment. The VA Medical has a lot more Veterans in it today than it did in 1988! Anyway, we don't pay a monthly premium for VA, but we do pay a co-pay due to my wife's salary. But, for my Medicare/Supplement/Rx we pay $240 a month. So, instead of throwing that $240 per month away, I'm going to stop using my VA and go completely with my Medicare/Supplement/Rx.

After I fell in the parking lot next to our apt. in August 2013, it took me 4 1/2 months to get an MRI on my shoulder that had been painful daily since the fall. That MRI was thru the VA. BTW, the fall was due to my "fooling around".

So, this last March I had RC surgery and my Medicare/Supplement and Rx darned near paid the entire amount! We only paid like 1% of the whole thing!

Well, now it looks like I will completely drop my VA and go with Medicare/Supplement/Rx. What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 AM

1,178 posts, read 777,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Even though I've been with VA Medical on-and-off since 1988, I took Medicare B last year when I turned 65. When that happened, wife and I also got a Supplement Insurance and Rx Plan for me. Being that I'm not "Service Connected" with the VA, I don't get quick treatment. The VA Medical has a lot more Veterans in it today than it did in 1988! Anyway, we don't pay a monthly premium for VA, but we do pay a co-pay due to my wife's salary. But, for my Medicare/Supplement/Rx we pay $240 a month. So, instead of throwing that $240 per month away, I'm going to stop using my VA and go completely with my Medicare/Supplement/Rx.

After I fell in the parking lot next to our apt. in August 2013, it took me 4 1/2 months to get an MRI on my shoulder that had been painful daily since the fall. That MRI was thru the VA. BTW, the fall was due to my "fooling around".

So, this last March I had RC surgery and my Medicare/Supplement and Rx darned near paid the entire amount! We only paid like 1% of the whole thing!

Well, now it looks like I will completely drop my VA and go with Medicare/Supplement/Rx. What do you think?
I am a VA Primary Care Nurse and I think you have a good plan in place, but I would not disenroll from active status in VA Primary Care. All you have to do to remain active is to attend one Primary Care appointment annually. You never know if you may have to fall back on the VA for one reason or another, and if that should happen you may have to wait a bit to get reenrolled and assigned a new Primary Care Provider.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:29 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

that you're too old to be fooling around in the parking lot

Old 08-21-2015, 08:39 AM

I don't know if I could do that, Primary Care annual appt., because my VA doctor only sees me twice a year. I go in for Labs and then, a week or so later, see her to discuss my Lab report and what prescription refills I will need before I see her again.
When I get a PCP thru Medicare, he will do the same thing......have Labs done and an appointment with him to discuss those Labs and what I need for prescriptions.
And, since I do pay a co-pay for my VA services and prescriptions, I wouldn't want to be paying money for two PCP's and letting prescription refills just sit on Myhealthyvet.com not using them.
So, once I get a PCP thru Medicare, I don't see any reason I'd need my VA medical anymore. And, if I did need it, I'd just have to grow thru the whole sign-up thing again. I've done that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I am a VA Primary Care Nurse and I think you have a good plan in place, but I would not disenroll from active status in VA Primary Care. All you have to do to remain active is to attend one Primary Care appointment annually. You never know if you may have to fall back on the VA for one reason or another, and if that should happen you may have to wait a bit to get reenrolled and assigned a new Primary Care Provider.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,564,010 times
My 2 cents is that you should have ONE primary doc and that you are much better off using your medicare insurance and a 'civilian' Dr for your PCP. No need to duplicate services.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:31 AM

5,608 posts, read 4,031,134 times
I am not protesting this thread.

What I am protesting is the moving of my thread regarding RETIREES and what medicare/medigap thread to health and wellness.

What exactly is the difference??

Old 08-21-2015, 01:25 PM

23,566 posts, read 50,229,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I am not protesting this thread.

What I am protesting is the moving of my thread regarding RETIREES and what medicare/medigap thread to health and wellness.

What exactly is the difference??
We are currently posting on the HEALTH INSURANCE FORUM - which is a subforum of Health and Wellness.

Medicare, VA insurance, all fall under the HEALTH INSURANCE subforum of Health and Wellness..

It was decided by the CD Administrator about three years ago to put all Medicare issues for retirees on the Health Insurance Forum - since Medicare is HEALTH INSURANCE. It was determined "Retiree" is not the primary determinant for the Medicare issue because, first, Medicare is HEALTH INSURANCE and, second, nonretirees (disabled) are also on Medicare.

Check out the top of the page on the Retirement Forum. There is a very large link which says:
Health Insurance and Medicare forum link

Therefore, Medicare issues are discussed here - on the Health Insurance subforum of Health and Wellness. This forum contains many, many threads on the Medicare issue for anyone wishing to do a search.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-21-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM

The OP says, "fine with me!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
We are currently posting on the HEALTH INSURANCE FORUM - which is a subforum of Health and Wellness.

Medicare, VA insurance, all fall under the HEALTH INSURANCE subforum of Health and Wellness..

It was decided by the CD Administrator about three years ago to put all Medicare issues for retirees on the Health Insurance Forum - since Medicare is HEALTH INSURANCE. It was determined "Retiree" is not the primary determinant for the Medicare issue because, first, Medicare is HEALTH INSURANCE and, second, nonretirees (disabled) are also on Medicare.

Check out the top of the page on the Retirement Forum. There is a very large link which says:
Health Insurance and Medicare forum link

Therefore, Medicare issues are discussed here - on the Health Insurance subforum of Health and Wellness. This forum contains many, many threads on the Medicare issue for anyone wishing to do a search.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:57 AM

235 posts, read 198,020 times
I agree with nightingale 212. Va health care isn't guaranteed, and who knows what will happen in the future. I think it could be helpful if you are an existing va patient when they scale back. If you can swing that, I think you will be glad you did.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:39 PM

Being a military Veteran, I will always have access to my medical benefits. I may have to go thru the whole "Entry/Health Screening" thing again, but that would be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
I agree with nightingale 212. Va health care isn't guaranteed, and who knows what will happen in the future. I think it could be helpful if you are an existing va patient when they scale back. If you can swing that, I think you will be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance