U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2015, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,047 posts, read 4,220,146 times
Reputation: 3527

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Sorry, I should have stated it differently. Medicare has a set fee that they pay doctors depending on the codes that are billed. Medicare pays the doctor 80% of that stated allowable fee and the patient is responsible for the remaining 20%, That's where your supplement comes in. The supplement pays the other 20% (sometimes) of the bill or close to it. So between Medicare, the supplement, and sometimes the patient the doctor collect the whole 100% of the Medicare allowable fee.

And see it from the doctor's business office perspective...you are seen and they bill Medicare. Medicare pays 80%. The business office then bills your supplement. They pay their portion. Then if there is anything left unpaid the business office bills the patient.

A lot of work for a very small return. It doesn't excuse treating patients differently depending on their insurance. But just try to think of all the work that goes into the business of medicine after the clinical work is done.
Actually, Medicare pays more than you might think.

Sometimes the bills/statements are unfollowable but others are straight forward. I had a CAT scan last Dec, the entire bill was a mass of numbers, none of which made any sense, but the bottom line was a balance due of zero. I looked at it 2-3 times, put in the drawer, forgot about it.

The second bill was from my doctor (when we reviewed the results of the scan) in Jan, had only one line with several columns. Those columns included amount billed, allowable, paid, suppl pay, etc. The end result was that the doctor received (in total) about 70% of what he originally billed.

I don't know how that final payment would work out if I were in a private health insurance plan rather than being on Medicare. Likely less than the original billed amount though.

BTW, in some Medicare plans the patient does not pay unpaid balances left over (balance billing).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2015, 09:41 PM
 
48,508 posts, read 88,633,133 times
Reputation: 18188
No; because its Medicare who determines payment allowed and what patient can be charge for their part. Basically the pricing is cheap compared to what private allows which means private subsidies Medicare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top