U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 02:24 PM

4,835 posts, read 3,546,500 times

Advertisements

I turned 26 on July 4 and on July 31 I lost my coverage. I was working two jobs, both part time. I was freaking out on July 31 and stupidly applied for Obamacare, though I had two full time job interviews pending. Well, apparently I might have qualified for Medicaid. I decided I didn't want to do that, as that might cost me full time employment. The county I live in sent me a letter on August 6 about sending in my tax forms. I never did. I want to wait for full time work.

I live with my folks. I don't need food stamps. I lost my one job and I am still looking for full time work. Today I received a letter about a fair hearing that could either be done over the phone or face to face. They could assign me a lawyer. I don't want Medicaid. I'm about to call on Monday and say, "I am waiting for a full time job. I am not interested." Should I do that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:00 PM

23,560 posts, read 50,186,667 times
Yes. You can always reapply.

ACA allows you three months without coverage before penalty is imposed - Aug, Sept. Oct.. In your case, this year you might have only two months' exposure - Nov. & Dec. Penalty is pro-rated.

Penalty is relatively small - regardless of what you hear. Further, IRS has no ability to enforce collection of the penalty - other than to deduct it from whatever tax refund you have coming. If there is no refund, they can't come after you for it.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:31 PM

Alright, so they can't force it on me when I call? I just call my county's Depart of Human Services? Or do I call the government? It was sent from the County of Human Services.

Thank you! I might have to break down and apply for retail as a second job. 2 years out of college and can't get full time work. English degree and looking to take free Arabic classes on Saturday mornings. I hope someone is flexible about that. Just frustrated.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:18 PM

23,560 posts, read 50,186,667 times
You call whoever sent you the notice.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Wonderful, thank you for all of your help.I feel better about things now.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,633,133 times
One must also realize that mandated coverage wasn't favored by Obama. Most of the concept of bill was done prior to Obama's election. If you watched the debates on healthcare between Obama and Hillary Clinton; the main difference was Obama opposed mandated coverage with fine; Clinton favored it. Obama's objection was it punished younger people who would not buy and that it was not actually unenforceable. He may have in end accepted it but wasn't author of provision. In fact the ability to pass at that time was fading since needed votes would not be there with mid term results. If you watched the markup in committee there were a lot of provisions by Democrats that were allowed to be discussed but not voted on ;such as national across state lines selling of insurance. They also did not allow vote on provision that restricted insurance by employers allowing employer contribution to be spent on exchanges. Many discussion that showed special interest input were brought up by republicans knowing the democrats controlled the bill fully. Very interesting lesson on now leadership controls votes in viewing the committee markup.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM

11,644 posts, read 8,440,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes. You can always reapply.

ACA allows you three months without coverage before penalty is imposed - Aug, Sept. Oct.. In your case, this year you might have only two months' exposure - Nov. & Dec. Penalty is pro-rated.

Penalty is relatively small - regardless of what you hear. Further, IRS has no ability to enforce collection of the penalty - other than to deduct it from whatever tax refund you have coming. If there is no refund, they can't come after you for it.

Additionally, as I understand it, an individual can be exempted from the Obamacare mandate under a hardship condition if they are unable to obtain insurance coverage for costs equal to or less than 8% of their total income. I would guess the OP might fall under that category if he is unemployed or working one part time job. I'd also say this would also exempt him from any penalty while he's looking for work and health insurance.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:53 AM

11,644 posts, read 8,440,515 times
Oops, from reading one of the OPs blogs seems Jess is "she", so sorry for referring to the OP as a "he".

And best of luck to you, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance