Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:43 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,805 times

Advertisements

Find hospital that are not pure private profit machines. It is best to utilize "University Connected Hospitals", they provide the best care and certainly for Medicare patients.
Private for Profit hospitals will give only what they can maximize their profits from, and many test and services will be extremely limited, some even send people home long before they are well enough to be sent home.

Hospitals Connected to Universities are best
for any person using any kind of insurance, including Medicare /Medicaid or combinations of such.

Some Private for Profit Hospital, will only give the service which pays them the most, and when there is critical need of the patient extend beyond them gouging the insurance, Private for Profit Hospitals, will "ship the patient to the University Connected Hospital" after the (Private for Profit Hospitals) have drained all they can from Insurances, be it Private Insurance or Medicare.

Therefore it is best to go to the "University connected hospitals in the first place", for one they do a better job of using the resources gained to improve their services and provide the best of care to the patient. They also have people studying the latest in medical services, tech and other services, they also can send people to place that offer specialized services under the directive from the University Based Hospitals.

People should also fight in any state against the governors trying to Privatize University Connected Hospitals, Look at the mess Jindal made in Louisiana with LSU Medical. The ethic of LSU medical professional thankfully kept with their ethical manner and now they are working hard to get rid of the private company managing them, and there is a big fight to keep the "Private For Profit" hospital from trying to invade and overtake this facility.

Anyone with Medicare/Medicaid should make sure their voice is heard to keep private enterprise out of the University Connected Medical Facilities. These hospitals have been a foundation in being a help facility for people using Medicare/Medicaid benefits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 11:32 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
where do you go online to look for Plan F, Plan G and or High deductible plans?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
where do you go online to look for Plan F, Plan G and or High deductible plans?
Here: https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...igap-home.aspx

Old 10-04-2015, 12:32 PM

went to the link and apparently no high deductible for Plan G?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:40 PM

so, Mutual of Omaha has a Plan G, this is the quote

Plan G

$142.64* per month

$1,711.68* per year

That is the total cost and includes my current A & B cost, or is it $142.64 a month plus my current $105????????

Sorry for being so stupid when it comes to this, but it seems very confusing.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
so, Mutual of Omaha has a Plan G, this is the quote

Plan G

$142.64* per month

$1,711.68* per year

That is the total cost and includes my current A & B cost, or is it $142.64 a month plus my current $105????????
It's $142.64/mo. PLUS $105. You must pay Part B premium of $105 - whether you enroll in a Medigap or Medicare Advantage.

Also, don't go w/Mutual of Omaha. Their rates can be killers as you age. What state/zipcode are you in?

Old 10-04-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It's $142.64/mo. PLUS $105. You must pay Part B premium of $105 - whether you enroll in a Medigap or Medicare Advantage.

Also, don't go w/Mutual of Omaha. Their rates can be killers as you age. What state/zipcode are you in?
zip 85138 Arizona

wow high price for insurance when you combine B premium and Plan G premium

is medicare advantage cheaper? actually have been looking online, do not really see any benefit to Plan C over my current A&B. some say no premium, do not get it.

Last edited by BestintheWest; 10-04-2015 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Answer to the above - now on your original thread on your issue, here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...l#post41439624

Old 10-08-2015, 06:16 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
zip 85138 Arizona

wow high price for insurance when you combine B premium and Plan G premium

is medicare advantage cheaper? actually have been looking online, do not really see any benefit to Plan C over my current A&B. some say no premium, do not get it.
Is it really that expensive?? With these options combined, you have basically no out of pocket costs after that. Yes, MA plans have low premiums, but much higher out of pocket costs, not to mention a smaller network of doctors that actually accept these plans. If you add up the premiums and compare to out of pocket costs for both options, you will find you spend much, much less with the Plan G (or F) over a MA plan.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
As I wrote in my last comment, the cost & availability of a plan varies by state & region. The Medigap (supplements) plans are all standardized by the government, so G in one state will offer the same benefits as G in another.

It's really best to call the Senior Center in your area. You can attend free seminars or make an appointment to discuss your options. I used to enroll people in MA plans and sell Medicare Supplements, but the law keeps changing, so I hesitate to give advice.

In Florida, it's not unusual for someone to pay over $200 a month plus the $105 (which is automatically deducted from your Soc Sec check once you choose plan B) for Medicare. By the time you add in drug coverage, the cost of insurance can be well over $300 per person. I usually do not recommended MA plans, but I met hundreds of couples who could not afford to take $500+ out of their combined fixed incomes. As I said, it really depends on the area, not only the state and also what you feel comfortable paying each month.

But, to answer the question "is it really that expensive?" Qwerty is correct. The more comprehensive the coverage, the higher the premium. MA plans are often more expensive over time, especially if you require hospitalization and skilled nursing care. However, some people don't have much of a choice. In some cases it's a matter of being penny-wise and pound foolish, but a lot of people simply can't afford high premiums and choose a local HMO or PPO. This is why I suggest talking to someone who can counsel you in person. In some states it's SHIP and others it's SHINE. Most counties have Senior Centers and can provide a list of resources.

[url=http://www.seniorresourcealliance.org/programs/shine-insurance-counseling-education/]SHINE Insurance Counseling & Education | Senior Resource Alliance[/url]

[url=http://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/resources/state_health_insurance_programs.html]SHIP Medicare Counseling: State Health Insurance Counseling & Assistance Programs[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance