Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,561 times

Advertisements

IS anyone here on SSDI? Social Security disability? If so can you message me?

For those currently on SSDI (Disability ) I was wondering on average, does just about everybody pass the SSDI review if one is taking the prescibed medications and following up with doctors?

Has anyone here ever been removed from SSDI on a review?

My husbands case worker feels he will likely win his SSDI case yet becuase he is only 42 he will need a review in 12 mnths. My husband has a seizure disorder, he had a brain tumor removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

For those currently on SSDI (Disability ) I was wondering on average, does just about everybody pass the SSDI review if one is taking the prescribed medications and following up with doctors?

Has anyone here ever been removed from SSDI on a review?

My husbands case worker feels he will likely win his SSDI case yet because he is only 42 he will need a review in 12 months. My husband has a seizure disorder, he had a brain tumor removed.
One thing you will need to be made aware of it can take 5 years or longer to become eligible for SSI.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Actually they are about to make a decison. Our local disability office and state case worker called us days ago and said expect a decision in 20-30 days.

But I mean SSDI not SSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
One thing you will need to be made aware of it can take 5 years or longer to become eligible for SSI.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,443,214 times
Quote:
Actually they are about to make a decison. Our local disability office and state case worker called us days ago and said expect a decision in 20-30 days.

But I mean SSDI not SSI
What is the difference between the 2? I am happy for you to get a quick resolution.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,519 times
Also, if you have a good case, you can be approved in under 6 months like a good friend of mine just was..

Thing is you never know. I've seen people who I knew could not work, there was no way they could work and they got denied for several years before they could get it.. Then I've seen people that were questionable, even to me and they got approved right away... You just never know..

But my friend DID get approved in under 6 months and that was having to use the SSDI doctors because hers were to lazy to fill out the paperwork. She has MS.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
What is the difference between the 2? I am happy for you to get a quick resolution.
SSI is a means tested program for the poor, Usually for people who have never worked.
SSDI Is Social Security Disability Insurance. This is for people who have worked and paid into the SS system. What you get paid depends on how much you paid in. This means you essentially receive the SS money that you would have recieved at 65, early. The amount is less than if you got it at 65. IT's reduced depending on the amount of time you paid in.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,015,992 times
Quote:

Not on SSDI, but I am (professionally) familiar with the program.

For those currently on SSDI (Disability ) I was wondering on average, does just about everybody pass the SSDI review if one is taking the prescibed medications and following up with doctors?

The question is not so much whether your husband is in compliance with medical treatment, but whether the treatment alleviates the signs and symptoms that previously prevented him from engaging in substantial gainful activity (work.)

Has anyone here ever been removed from SSDI on a review? Don't know about CD posters, but I've had clients whose benefits were terminated following a CDR (continuing disability review.)

My husbands case worker feels he will likely win his SSDI case yet becuase he is only 42 he will need a review in 12 mnths. My husband has a seizure disorder, he had a brain tumor removed.
There are published guidelines regarding the scheduling of reviews. In general, CDR's are scheduled more frequently for younger claimants because they are more likely to get better and no one (i.e., taxpayers, doctors, therapists) wants claimants to unnecessarily receive hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of 20-40+ years. Individual adjudicators have the discretion to suggest a different timeline for the CDR, and other factors can trigger a review prior to the regularly scheduled CDR.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-11-2014 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: Clarity.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:17 AM

Wow! Thanks for all those quick responses. As i'm sure you know SSDI cases are very stressfull on people. Well we heard a decision was made on my husbands case but now its in the hands of a --The ( SSDI ) quality review board being referred to is something known as DQB. When I called and asked why they mentioned due to his young age.

I cant believe this!!

Quote:

Not on SSDI, but I am (professionally) familiar with the program.

The question is not so much whether your husband is in compliance with medical treatment, but whether the treatment alleviates the signs and symptoms that previously prevented him from engaging in substantial gainful activity (work.)

Has anyone here ever been removed from SSDI on a review? Don't know about CD posters, but I've had clients whose benefits were terminated following a CDR (continuing disability review.)

There are published guidelines regarding the scheduling of reviews. In general, CDR's are scheduled more frequently for younger claimants because they are more likely to get better and no one (i.e., taxpayers, doctors, therapists) wants claimants to unnecessarily receive hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of 20-40+ years. Individual adjudicators have the discretion to suggest a different timeline for the CDR, and other factors can trigger a review prior to the regularly scheduled CDR.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-11-2014 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all those quick responses. As i'm sure you know SSDI cases are very stressfull on people. Well we heard a decision was made on my husbands case but now its in the hands of a --The ( SSDI ) quality review board being referred to is something known as DQB. When I called and asked why they mentioned due to his young age.

I cant believe this!!

I started receiving SSDI when I was 29 and I have been on and off it ever since (I am now 45). I have tried to work many different times but it was simply impossible for me to work for very long. I have always been promptly approved for benefits (never took more than a couple of months).

I hope everything works out well and that your husband is feeling okay.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-11-2014 at 05:38 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,303 times
I just applied last month or I should say an attorney did it for me. Right now she claims it's no charge, but say for instance I get denied the first time (which I've heard just about everyone does on their first time) she's obligated to tell me if she needs to start collecting fees from me , correct?

I guess the question is if you go to the 3rd time and go before a judge and still lose, that's a lot of wasted time on her part....is she going to demand some sort of payment? I read somewhere about a horror story that a guy lost his paid-for house after all the dust settled.......I definitely don't want to get in that mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance