Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM

104 posts, read 95,621 times

Advertisements

My subsidy is going down this year and my premium has gone way up with my benefits getting worse.
I have a much more limited choice of BCBS plans than I did last year. I don't have help through an employer with health insurance.

Healthcare.gov tells me to call BCBS, BCBS tells me to call healthcare.gov
Hoping to find some insight here.

My income is around $40k. For a decent $4k deductible Silver plan my premium after subsidy will be around $340.

Is this average/normal? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before committing to this.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
I plugged in $40K, my zip code, and single person, non-smoker into the Kaiser Foundation health insurance market calculator and get $319/month for Silver plan, so pretty close to that.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:19 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
Is it asking for gross or net income? When I did mine (I am self employed) it specified my net income, so with a $3600 deductible, my premiums were $71/month. I also included my husband's disability, even though he can get insurance through the VA. If he couldn't have, then my premiums alone would have been less than $10/month with something like a $2000 deductible.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Is it asking for gross or net income? When I did mine (I am self employed) it specified my net income, so with a $3600 deductible, my premiums were $71/month. I also included my husband's disability, even though he can get insurance through the VA. If he couldn't have, then my premiums alone would have been less than $10/month with something like a $2000 deductible.
You must put in your gross income (before taxes) when applying on healthcare.gov

Are you in the $40k range and still only paying $71 a month?

Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncus View Post
You must put in your gross income (before taxes) when applying on healthcare.gov

Are you in the $40k range and still only paying $71 a month?
Yes and it told me to put in my business profit, not my gross profit.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:24 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Is it asking for gross or net income? When I did mine (I am self employed) it specified my net income,.....
Quote:
Yes and it told me to put in my business profit, not my gross profit.
I am just figuring all this out. I had a grandfathered plan BCBS canceled this year so it's my first year to
get a plan from Obumacare.

Would your business profit be the salary you pay yourself??
If so wouldn't that be your gross income.
I thought it had to be the gross taxable income on your tax return.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:47 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncus View Post
My subsidy is going down this year and my premium has gone way up with my benefits getting worse.
I have a much more limited choice of BCBS plans than I did last year. I don't have help through an employer with health insurance.

Healthcare.gov tells me to call BCBS, BCBS tells me to call healthcare.gov
Hoping to find some insight here.

My income is around $40k. For a decent $4k deductible Silver plan my premium after subsidy will be around $340.

Is this average/normal? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something before committing to this.

Thanks!
Welcome to the fun club! How to go broke in 2 easy steps.

My income is about the same as yours. My last Silver plan was 2016 and with the subsidy hit $400 last year. I had to drop to Bronze.

I am 52, maybe you are a bit younger? There is a good sized age penalty too.

I think I'm going to have to pick an even lower Bronze plan this year

In my state, if I want the subsidy I am forced to go through our own state website. Which sucks so so bad. Going to see them in person is even worse.

Horrible horrible system

ps - you are supposed to use your MAGI. I am self employed as well with a fluctuating income. I tend to guess high as I am petrified of paying a too-low monthly amount and getting fined for that.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
Last year when I was 64 I had a subsidy of 522. and my cost was 680 a month just for me. So your plan seems very cheap to me.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the input.
I'm sorry to hear some of your guys' premiums are so high.
It seems like a very very flawed system.

Still figuring it out.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

I think I am going to bite the bullet and pick a plan this week.

Thanks again

Old 11-27-2018, 04:09 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,821,410 times
This is a year later and I had to look at plans on the gov't site last night for my husband. He makes $13/hr and the lowest premium I could get for him is $575.88. That is completely ridiculous. Who on earth is this site helping?? In the beginning the site said I'd be able to find out if he qualified for assistance, well I never found out - where does it tell you that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance