U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 06:24 AM

8,025 posts, read 12,713,612 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure CVS just bought Aetna. Don't know what that will mean.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 AM

439 posts, read 622,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAflygirl View Post
Can you answer another question for me about Plan G? Let's say I choose G from Aetna and 10 years from now, Aetna goes bankrupt. Since G is not a guarantee issue, what would be my options? What would happen in that same scenario if I had chosen Plan F upfront instead of G, since F is a guaranteed issue plan? I'm not understanding the importance of a guaranteed issue plan and I will not be living in a guaranteed issue state. Thank you for your help!
First, CMS would direct Aetna/CVS to attempt to find another carrier to take over the current policies much like the FDIC finds a new bank to take over the deposits of a failed bank.

If that failed and you are healthy enough to pass medical underwriting, you would be able to choose any Medigap plan sold in your state including another Plan G. If you can't pass underwriting, you have a Guaranteed Issue (GI) right to the preferred rate of any Plan A, B, C, F (both versions), K, or L sold in your state.

You have the same options if you choose Plan F now. You would just be paying the higher F premiums in the meantime.

The GI right allows unhealthy persons to purchase certain Medigap plans at the same rate as healthy people in the situation you describe.

For those enrolling in Part B in 2020 or later, their list of GI plans will be A, B, D, G (both versions), K, and L.

Medigap GI rights:https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...otections.aspx

Old 10-20-2018, 05:46 PM

2,177 posts, read 4,331,387 times
Got our letter from AARP/UHC today for next years increases. These rates are in Delaware and for 2 people, one 66 and one 67.

Going from $291.20 to $306.13 (increase of 5.1%)

In May it will go up to $313.20 when DH turned over his year.

In July it will go up to $320.27 when I turn over my year.

Overall, we will have an increase of 10% for the year.

I guess that's not too horrible but the percentage is still well over the SS COLA that we got this year.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:52 PM

251 posts, read 272,462 times
My Aetna plan g has gone from 123 to 134 to 150 now. Looking at Cigna which will be about 115.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 13,192 times
Default What is the best way to sign up for Plan G?

Should I just go on Aetna or is there any added benefit if I sign up through an agent?

Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 PM

27,089 posts, read 8,686,605 times
You all have been helpful to me while I was learning Medicare.....thanks.

I'm signed with Mutual of Omaha for G plan med, United Healthcare for drug plan. Both were the cheapest in my area but also with longstanding good reputations.

Med agent was very impressed with how much I was prepared....

Old 02-28-2019, 05:00 PM

23,999 posts, read 51,816,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You all have been helpful to me while I was learning Medicare.....thanks.

I'm signed with Mutual of Omaha for G plan med, United Healthcare for drug plan. Both were the cheapest in my area but also with longstanding good reputations.

Med agent was very impressed with how much I was prepared....
So, did you choose the MOO issue-age plan G - I hope? If you expect to live a long while, you'll be glad you did, especially with MOO, which has a bad rep in the area of rate increases for its attained-age policies:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...al-policy.html

You had asked the question, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ssued-age.html

Old 02-28-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Should I just go on Aetna or is there any added benefit if I sign up through an agent?
Some companies take apps over the phone or internet, others will not do this and will refer you to an agent. Premium should be the same either way.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
So, did you choose the MOO issue-age plan G - I hope? If you expect to live a long while, you'll be glad you did, especially with MOO, which has a bad rep in the area of rate increases for its attained-age policies:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...al-policy.html

You had asked the question, here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/healt...ssued-age.html
Further to the above if you decided on an attained-age MOO - since you just applied, you can change your mind - this was posted in 2013 - notice the rate for an 86 y/o six years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't really know why my mother's supplement is so high- it's through Mutual of Omaha, I think, and it covers anything Medicare doesn't, so she has no out of pocket expenses- except for prescription drugs which this policy doesn't cover.

She's had this policy for maybe 15-16 yrs .......when she moved into areas in which Medicare Advantage plans were either scarce or non-existent. She loved the Medicare Advantage plans when she lived in Miami years ago, but now that she's back in Florida where there are a number of what look like decent plans, she's leery because none of them offer no out of pocket expenses anymore. That and she needs her hand held, walked through every single option she has several times, the last time by a Medicare Advantage guru who she's told her family (me) just couldn't explain anything to her.

I think her policy has raised its rates every year she's had the plan, and I think last year raised her policy by about $500. .........And yes, if you break the cost down to monthly it comes to approximately $425 a month.
The same community-rated UHC policy Plan F for that same 86 y/o - which is better coverage than G would be about $205 - v. the $425 that MOO policyholder was paying five years ago. This is a perfect example of the benefits of community-rating (or issue-age) v. the so attractive cheaper-at-first attained age policy which becomes unaffordable as one ages.

UHC can be priced, here:

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html

Online doesn't show a Plan G for NC zipcode 28734, but that doesn't mean UHC isn't offering one. Plan N would be close - with minor copays for doctor visits and ER, no coverage for excess charges.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 AM

439 posts, read 622,281 times
Quote:
As stated above, the premium will be the same either way. An experienced agent will be there to help you resolve provider billing and traditional Medicare payment issues. While the following is from Boomer Benefits, it applies to any experienced agent.
Quote:
Our clients never have to call Medicare or an insurance company and sit on hold. Call our office and WE handle your service needs.

We fix billing errors. We write Medicare appeals. We solve pharmacy exceptions when you can’t get your medication.

Reference: https://boomerbenefits.com/faq/why-do-i-need-an-agent/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance