Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 05:08 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

It's through United Healthcare...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,733 times
Yes. Both for my husband and my mom has used it for 30 years. Never a problem. Excellent customer service.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
Yes. Both for my husband and my mom has used it for 30 years. Never a problem. Excellent customer service.

Which do you have, if you don't mind saying...

medical, pharmacy??

How did you decide on this company and plan??

Old 10-08-2018, 05:48 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,129,954 times
I have had them for both husband and I under the AARP plan first plan F and then I changed to plan G, been very happy with them.
They are about the only ones with community pricing and member discount.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:08 PM

810 posts, read 869,720 times
My mother has had the AARP United Healthcare "F" Plan for many years. It has been flawless and a joy to deal with (I handle her paperwork). She's had cancer surgeries (inpatient and outpatient), several hospitalizations, heart surgery, emergency admissions, in-hospital and at-home infusions, and countless doctor visits, labs, and scans. Between Medicare and her AARP United Healthcare "F" Plan, they have covered everything and she never has a bill to pay. And no co-pays at the doctor. I can't say enough good about it.

How she found out about it. She had a different supplement, and when my parents moved to the Tucson area, her friend gave her an AARP membership as a gift and said she should use them for her supplement, and that all her friends did. (I find good word-of-mouth to be invaluable). My mother's sister later was complaining about how many medical bills she had, even though she had a supplement. She then switched to AARP/United Healthcare and was thrilled they picked up everything and no more bills.

You should know that "F" plans are being closed to new subscribers in 2020, and the closest choice will be the "G" plan. It is identical to the "F" plan except there is a small annual deductible ($183 in 2018). It is what I will be choosing when I am of Medicare age.

The other good thing about the AARP United Healthcare supplement is it is Community Rated, and not Attained Age rated. This means your rate won't go sky high if you live to be really old. Another relative had an Attained Age supplement and I remember looking at the premium bill thinking it was so much more expensive than my mother's.

For her drug/pharmacy "Part D", I shop this each year on Medicare.gov during Open Enrollment (which starts next week). I plug in all her drugs and then choose the best plan. It is a bit of a nuisance to change each year, but the savings have been considerable. Last year was Humana; this year changed to Express Scripts. The plans' drug formularies and prices change every year, so it is worthwhile to plug it all into Medicare.gov if you have anything other than basic generic drugs. I hope this helps.

Last edited by wildflowers27; 10-08-2018 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: to add info

Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,650,324 times
My wife has had Plan N medical supplement through AARP since she retired four years ago. They had one of the best prices when we lived in Florida and the price came down when we moved to Tennessee. So far, so good; no complaints

Old 10-08-2018, 07:06 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Between Medicare and her AARP United Healthcare "F" Plan, they have covered everything and she never has a bill to pay. And no co-pays at the doctor. I can't say enough good about it.
I can also vouch for the United Healthcare supplement. My mother's chemo treatments were almost $17k per week. Her brain surgery, hospitalization, and in-patient rehabilitation were hundreds of thousands of dollars. Medicare and UHealth paid every penny; we had no out-of-pocket costs whatsoever.

Quote:
For her drug/pharmacy "Part D", I shop this each year on Medicare.gov during Open Enrollment (which starts next week). I plug in all her drugs and then choose the best plan. It is a bit of a nuisance to change each year, but the savings have been considerable. Last year was Humana; this year changed to Express Scripts. The plans' drug formularies and prices change every year, so it is worthwhile to plug it all into Medicare.gov if you have anything other than basic generic drugs. I hope this helps.
Urghhhh, my favorite time of year. Dad has had SilverScript for the last couple of years, but honestly, it's because I didn't have the energy to go through the exercise of pricing the other plans. He refuses to use mail delivery; SS allows him to pick up 90-day prescriptions at Walgreens. Do Humana and Express Scripts do this, too?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
My mother has had the AARP United Healthcare "F" Plan for many years. It has been flawless and a joy to deal with (I handle her paperwork). She's had cancer surgeries (inpatient and outpatient), several hospitalizations, heart surgery, emergency admissions, in-hospital and at-home infusions, and countless doctor visits, labs, and scans. Between Medicare and her AARP United Healthcare "F" Plan, they have covered everything and she never has a bill to pay. And no co-pays at the doctor. I can't say enough good about it.

How she found out about it. She had a different supplement, and when my parents moved to the Tucson area, her friend gave her an AARP membership as a gift and said she should use them for her supplement, and that all her friends did. (I find good word-of-mouth to be invaluable). My mother's sister later was complaining about how many medical bills she had, even though she had a supplement. She then switched to AARP/United Healthcare and was thrilled they picked up everything and no more bills.

You should know that "F" plans are being closed to new subscribers in 2020, and the closest choice will be the "G" plan. It is identical to the "F" plan except there is a small annual deductible ($183 in 2018). It is what I will be choosing when I am of Medicare age.

The other good thing about the AARP United Healthcare supplement is it is Community Rated, and not Attained Age rated. This means your rate won't go sky high if you live to be really old. Another relative had an Attained Age supplement and I remember looking at the premium bill thinking it was so much more expensive than my mother's.

Your help is invaluable. Thank you.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Wow - this sounds like a rare unanimously positive review! Thanks for starting and responding to this thread.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:38 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,045,801 times
Quote:
You should know that "F" plans are being closed to new subscribers in 2020, and the closest choice will be the "G" plan. It is identical to the "F" plan except there is a small annual deductible ($183 in 2018).
Is that just for United Healthcare or nationwide regardless of carrier? If for all carriers, can you point me to a notification and more details about that?

I had a high deductible F plan for a few years but dropped it two years ago thinking I will pick it up again in 2020 when my IRA RMDs begin and I'll have a little extra money to cover the premiums.

My high deductible F was with Globe Insurance, not AARP. AARP never offered the high deductible F plan in my state.

If the high deductible F plans are all going away, I won't be able to afford a G plan. No way. Current lowest premium for a high deductible F plan in my region is $69/month. Current lowest premium for a G plan is $260/month. Thats an additional $2300 per year for a plan that I will probably never use. Never used the supplemental hi-ded F when I did have it. I was paying $750/year for nothing.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 10-08-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance