Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 03:39 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times

Advertisements

My Medicare supplemental plan provides for free gym membership for a couple of nearby gyms. I'm going to check them out, but I wonder (esp. after they've been closed for a long time because of the pandemic) whether the gym staff will be unwelcoming, since I'll get to go there for free. I know that my care provider will pay them, but I don't know how much.

Does anyone else participate in a program like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:43 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Why would they be unwelcoming? The fact that you get the benefit for free doesn't mean THEY're not getting paid for your membership.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:50 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
I've been going to the Y since last summer and I just changed over my membership to the one that my Medicare Supplement pays for, they were happy to do so. No complaints from them at all! Renew Active is what my medicare supplement pays for and that is fairly new, at least to me. If you have a Medicare Supplement (versus Medicare Advantage) and are looking up locations on the medicare website, the ones that are noted as "Premium Locations" are not free.

LA Fitness and the Y are free to me in Miami. Saves me $50 a month!

Old 03-25-2021, 04:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Our local recreation center participates in these programs. The basic membership is generally paid to them at what is best described as the "lowest discounted price" (usually the price with many restriction and most qualifications) that center has. They say that it's pretty much universal across the board so all centers are reimbursed about the same. This is not to be confused with some of the "deluxe" programs some advantage plans offer or what a premium TPO offers through a former employer's Medicare plan. I also know that feedback on the participating center or on the center's participants plays a role in the longevity of the program at a center.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:26 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Thanks for your responses. That makes me feel better. I just didn't want to go somewhere and be unwelcome. I think the gyms are probably hurting after being closed for a few months because of the pandemic and then we had two hurricanes.

I have two gyms nearby. I'm going to check them out.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:24 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
My Medicare supplemental plan provides for free gym membership for a couple of nearby gyms. I'm going to check them out, but I wonder (esp. after they've been closed for a long time because of the pandemic) whether the gym staff will be unwelcoming, since I'll get to go there for free. I know that my care provider will pay them, but I don't know how much.

Does anyone else participate in a program like this?
You're paying a supplement premium, they in turn are getting paid, though like your doctor and hospitals, at a negotiated, discount rate.

I recently signed up at our local place, no issues and they were glad to have me become a member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance