U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

459 posts, read 264,505 times

Advertisements

I won't be using USAA for insurance thanks to their security system.

I was considering Medigap policy through USAA earlier this year and signed up on the website.

Of course by the time I got ready to do something, I had forgotten my password and tried too many times so the system locked me out.

I called customer service, but I couldn't answer all of their questions because some were so long ago (such as addresses from ten years ago) that I couldn't remember. I also didn't know my car license plate from 2014 because I sold that car two years ago.

The customer service person said he couldn't do anything and I would have to call back when I have the information.

I thought - thank goodness, I never purchased any insurance from you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM

15,471 posts, read 21,128,036 times
Sounds like USAA has excellent security. You forgot your password and you forgot your security answers --- and yet you blame USAA???? Anyone could have called, pretending to be you, and it should be comforting to know no one else can get into your account.

By the way, some of my family members have USAA for both banking and insurance and love it.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,433,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Sounds like USAA has excellent security. You forgot your password and you forgot your security answers --- and yet you blame USAA???? Anyone could have called, pretending to be you, and it should be comforting to know no one else can get into your account.

By the way, some of my family members have USAA for both banking and insurance and love it.
I strongly suspect that those security questions and answers came from various public records and not from the OP.
I have had some places like that, I never gave them the questions or the answers. Usually they offer 3 or 4 choices and if you are you , hopefully you can pick the right ones, but not always, some time all the answers are wrong trying to trap you into picking one.

Security is fine but over security is NOT.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:06 PM

5,972 posts, read 9,619,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I strongly suspect that those security questions and answers came from various public records and not from the OP.
I have had some places like that, I never gave them the questions or the answers. Usually they offer 3 or 4 choices and if you are you , hopefully you can pick the right ones, but not always, some time all the answers are wrong trying to trap you into picking one.

Security is fine but over security is NOT.
AIUI, the Q&A comes from the 3 big credit bureaus. And yes, I've had some where none of the multiple choice "answers" were correct. Never had one verbally on phone, always on-line.

Next we'll all have to outfit our PCs with fingerprint readers

Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM

554 posts, read 430,288 times
I recently had a similar experience at Navy Federal Credit Union. Some of the questions they asked were ridiculous; one included an address I had lived at for less than 2 years 30 years ago. And it wasn't just one or two questions; there must have been 20 of them! And yes, there were a couple with no correct answer. Very frustrating.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS write down your passwords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or