Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:59 AM

277 posts, read 687,867 times

Advertisements

Long story short, I guess I am fortunate to have a full time job with benefits. I work 40 hours per week and make 16.50 per hour. Before taxes and deductions, this comes out to roughly $33K per year - but my net paychecks are approx $940 every 2 weeks.

So the quandary I’m faced with is my employer offers 2 health plans. One with a $5500 deductible and $6500 total out of pocket - employer contributes $70 to an HSA every 2 weeks. I pay $90 per paycheck for this single coverage! The only other option is a $2K deductible with $5K out of pocket, no HSA contribution and I’d pay almost double ($140per paycheck) for that single coverage.

Right now, I’m stuck with a $5K hospital bill for a surgery that was not elective. Long story short, I broke my leg last year in a freak accident and had to have it fixed with hardware and 1 year later, the hardware was beginning to emerge from my skin and had to be removed.

I applied for financial assistance through the hospital but I missed the cut off by a few dollars, literally. The hospital will do a payment plan, but only on their terms. The entire balance has to be paid off in 12 months, so that makes for a huge payment. I just can’t after paying my rent, utilities, insurance, car, etc.

I’m just extremely stressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 02:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Unfortunate situation, and both of your employer options are weak at best. My only suggestion is that with good credit you can get an unsecured personal loan from a credit union. At about 9% interest over 3 or 4 years the payment would be much more affordable for you. Most credit unions only require opening a $5 minimum account to join.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:29 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
i just heard on the news two days ago that most employer plans are 20 k a year I cant afford that I know . I think hemlock has the best solution for you is to take a personal loan from your bank but that would depend on your credit as well . Also most credit unions you have to be a family member of someone . But it is worth checking out anyways . I hope you come up with a solution . I know this country has got to do something about out of this world insurance costs both private and employer plans .

Old 09-29-2019, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
OP that sucks but it is the way the system is working the past 8 years. Both our daughters have huge deductibles. Luckily they also can afford it, but still sucks. the same with our older granddaugher Her husband works for one of the largest companies in the country and the they too, have high deductibles. They have little girls and someone always needs to see a doctor. Luckily our granddaughter is nurse practitioner so she can handle some of the problems herself and believe it or not her insurance isn't as good as her husband when it comes to insuring the rest of the family. i

Old 09-29-2019, 02:01 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
I'm on medicare these days and getting some pretty expensive care, so I see bills that are typically 10x or more what medicare allows. Of course, the only ones that actually pay those amounts are those like the OP and folks without insurance. Most of the time, those folks don't pay though, because they don't have the funds. Hospitals know this. So the games begin.

Unless the OP has a credit rating to protect, I'd just refuse to pay. I'd not play their games by getting a loan to pay off the amount. You may want to find out, though, if they have an agressive collections policy - do they take many people to court? Do they refer due amounts to bill collectors? Probably not.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:58 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I'm on medicare these days and getting some pretty expensive care, so I see bills that are typically 10x or more what medicare allows. Of course, the only ones that actually pay those amounts are those like the OP and folks without insurance. Most of the time, those folks don't pay though, because they don't have the funds. Hospitals know this. So the games begin.

Unless the OP has a credit rating to protect, I'd just refuse to pay. I'd not play their games by getting a loan to pay off the amount. You may want to find out, though, if they have an agressive collections policy - do they take many people to court? Do they refer due amounts to bill collectors? Probably not.
Most hospitals do report to collections and will litigate, garnish wages or slap a lien on your house depending what state you live in. It's not the hospital's fault your employer is cheap and has shifted costs they would have covered 10 years ago to the employees.

These high deductible health plans suck and need to go... Jc Penney was the first company I saw move to this model many years ago...Like someone working retail can afford a 5k deductible. Corporate America is so greedy these days. It's all about profit at any cost, including screwing over your employees.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Most hospitals do report to collections and will litigate, garnish wages or slap a lien on your house depending what state you live in. It's not the hospital's fault your employer is cheap and has shifted costs they would have covered 10 years ago to the employees.
That's not my understanding, based on many recent news reports. I doubt the OP is a homeowner?

I still think it's time for the OP to play hardball back. What are the alternatives? None.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:05 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
OP is very subject to wage garnishment if he doesn't come to an agreement. Usually garnishments are limited to a percentage of one's wage. Meanwhile his credit is shot for the duration. Otherwise, his alternative to wage garnishment is bankruptcy. Not the end of the world, by any means. Depending on his state laws, he'll either be allowed to file Ch 7 and eliminate debt entirely or file Ch 13 wherein a more reasonable payment plan can be arranged. If he's able to reaffirm his car loan (if he has one), he won't even lose his car.

Ch 7 is best. It's over and done in six months, right after that he'll be getting credit card offers.

OP - see a bankruptcy atty, if you can't get a decent loan. No one earning $33k a year should be stuck with something like this. These low wages and high medical costs are wrong.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:25 PM

54 posts, read 33,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post

You wouldn't play what game? It's not the doctor's fault the OP has lousy insurance. The doctor/hospital provided emergency care and they are entitled to be paid for it.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymyers2000 View Post
The doctor/hospital provided emergency care and they are entitled to be paid for it.
You assume there's an economic rationale behind their pricing? Other than screw the patient and maximize revenue? IOW, any old price a doctor or hospital charges they're "entitled to be paid for"? I think we disagree here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance