Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 09:07 AM

25 posts, read 92,836 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently living outside of USA, but will be coming back in the middle of the next year. I am a US citizen.
I will be looking for a job or maybe study for a few months, so I have to get Healthcare.gov to get covered meanwhile.

This is the question: can I get it as soon as I am back to US in any month or I need to wait until enrollment period?

I called to the Healthcare.gov and getting different answers for my case. Once I was told like I can enroll at any time and another answer I got that I need to wait until next enrollment time...

The sad thing is that they don't support emails, which means that they assume that their agents are not quite competent and they are afraid of the being sued, since the emails would be the prove.

If someone can provide a good, official link or something to what should I do in this case, I would really appreciate it. I couldn't find anything credible. I will be in NC.

PS. If you lived abroad, I wonder, what would be a good evidence for that? It might be needed in you still can get coverage in the middle of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
No, you don't need to wait until annual open enrollment. Because you are moving back to USA, you are entitled to a Special Enrollment Period in which to obtain insurance. The requirement that you have previous insurance is waived.
Quote:
The addition of paragraph (i) requires further amendments to the rule to maintain the availability of the permanent move special enrollment period for certain other individuals who should continue to be able to access this special enrollment period without the requirement of being previously enrolled in minimum essential coverage.

Specifically, we make a necessary addition in paragraph (d)(7) (ii) to maintain eligibility for a special enrollment period for individuals previously living outside of the United States or in a United States territory who move to a location within the United States, so long as they seek to enroll in coverage within 60 days of completing their permanent move.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2016-11017.pdf
The link for the foregoing appeared in this article on the issue -

https://www.healthinsurance.org/spec...rigger-an-sep/

And, here's the link to the Federal Register for that change:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...d-the-consumer

When you apply, you will need to submit all sorts of documentation, including a copy of your passport, for sure, which will verify your out-of-country status.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:19 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
The ACA's own explanation re a SEP for "Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country" is at this webpage:

https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage-...llment-period/

In part,
"Household moves that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

• Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory"
Re proof of previous coverage:
"You don't need to provide proof if you’re moving from a foreign country or United States territory."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance