Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times

Advertisements

NY has some of the most liberal rules when it comes to Medicaid. I agree with the poster who said this person is probably eligible for retroactive Medicaid.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2994935
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:00 PM

137 posts, read 161,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
NY has some of the most liberal rules when it comes to Medicaid. I agree with the poster who said this person is probably eligible for retroactive Medicaid.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...icle-1.2994935
Thank you, and thank you also for being polite.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Really? Avvo over the USCIS? Oh OP, no wonder this is such a cluster.

ETA: Good luck.
It's so cute that you think you know more than an immigration lawyer, did you study law in your sleep?

Just spoke to one who said that normally, you are only responsible if they attempt to get any 'government benefits' ... (food stamps etc) not for ordinary bills.

So again, please refrain from commenting when you are no expert in the matter.
Thank you and good bye, please kindly move to the next thread to harass some other poor soul.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:14 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Yes I sponsored someone and it was my understanding that I may have to support them if needed but not pay medical bills.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Yes I sponsored someone and it was my understanding that I may have to support them if needed but not pay medical bills.

Looks like that was not correct and it's unfortunate if you ended up paying high Bill's because of a thought. You are responsible only if they use government programs (food stamps etc) the government will want that money back. If they don't pay their electric bill, it's NOT your problem, same with medical bills, especially from a private hospital. Not the government problem. It's been them and the hospital, it will ruin their credit, yes, but that's about it.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:55 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Wishing you good luck is harassment? Ok then.

Look, the gross majority of your posts on CD have been related to health insurance. It's clear that you are not getting the answers that you want, and I dare say you might find better answers elsewhere.

Again, good luck.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika123 View Post
Wait a sec, let me ask if there is a sponsor, I am sure they will be thrilled to run and pay 50k.

What's wrong with you????
If a sponsor can be identified (ie, signed papers agreeing to sponsor this individual as a condition of her getting a green card,) they ARE responsible according to immigration laws for the expenses she cannot pay herself. That is what they agree to when they sign those papers. Similar to cosigning a loan for a car.

According to those laws, the means testing to determine eligibility for public support such as Medicaid is done on the means of the sponsor, not the immigrant.

If the sponsor(s) can be identified and refuse to pay the bills of the person they sponsored who can't pay those bills, the courts may sue the sponsors for payment.

This according to law, as it was meant to prevent sponsored individuals from becoming burdens on the taxpayer. I don't know how often this would be enforced these days, though I suspect not often.

In this case, the family giving this person lodging and meals, so on, are not necessarily the sponsors who signed papers agreeing to support her in the event she could not support herself, if so they are NOT responsible for her medical bills.

I suspect in this case the hospital may well eat the cost of her care.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Old 12-12-2019, 03:10 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
OP here's the bottom line -- she should apply for charity care with all providers.

Some may write the bill off. Some may not and she will be turned over to collections. If that happens her credit will be messed up for 7 years. Depending on the state she lives in her wages could possibly be garnished or leins placed in property she may own.

If she has no income or property she will just have bad credit for 7 years. The End.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:18 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Thankfully the person I sponsored was a hard worker and supported herself. It’s now past the 10 years.

Old 12-13-2019, 04:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Try Go fund Me on line. Many people are able to receive a lot of money if they are truly needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance