Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 04:15 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience marrying someone who is on disability income? By that I mean SSI or SSDI, Medicare and other programs?

My partner and I have been living together for 21 years but we would really like to be married. We keep running into roadblocks with threats of him losing his medical assistance and possibly even social security payments if we get married. I make about $22 per hour which is not a lot but apparently it is more than enough to cause him to lose important benefits he needs to afford VERY expensive medical care that has kept him alive for a long time.

Without being married we do not have the same rights to make decisions about each others personal matters that a married couple would, should something happen to one of us. I also don't feel we get the same respect and recognition of our relationship and time together that a married couple would get. We are getting older and having health issues, and his parents are nearing the end of their life and we would really like to be married soon.

I'd like to hear what your experience has been like from a financial perspective. How did you work around financial issues? We do have an appointment coming in January with a case worker but I would like to hear from others who have been through this process. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I am a person with multiple disabilities, and my (from Europe) is deaf. I receive SS Disability (SSDI). If he receives SSDI benefits, they will not be reduced or lost by getting married. However, if you file taxes jointly, they may be partially taxable. They could be be taxable filing separately too, but I have never filed separately from my wife, so no experience with that.

If you get SSI, which is not the same as SSDI, then, yes, he could lose those benefits, or they will be reduced. They will look at family income.

In addition, you have to notify SS if you get married. Make sure you report timely, and don't spend any they send by mistake. They will demand any overpayment back.

Medicare (if he has it) will also not be cut. He will still be eligible. They look at his income, not yours.

Medicaid (a different program) could be stopped if you marry. Depends on family income.

The above is based on my experience and knowledge over a long period of time. Please do verify what I say. I'm happy to answer more questions. and help if I can, so feel free to ask questions.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:40 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Can't you get legal documents that allow you to make medical decisions for each other? I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's something you can resolve with the proper paperwork.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I am a person with multiple disabilities, and my (from Europe) is deaf. I receive SS Disability (SSDI). If he receives SSDI benefits, they will not be reduced or lost by getting married. However, if you file taxes jointly, they may be partially taxable. They could be be taxable filing separately too, but I have never filed separately from my wife, so no experience with that.

If you get SSI, which is not the same as SSDI, then, yes, he could lose those benefits, or they will be reduced. They will look at family income.

In addition, you have to notify SS if you get married. Make sure you report timely, and don't spend any they send by mistake. They will demand any overpayment back.

Medicare (if he has it) will also not be cut. He will still be eligible. They look at his income, not yours.

Medicaid (a different program) could be stopped if you marry. Depends on family income.

The above is based on my experience and knowledge over a long period of time. Please do verify what I say. I'm happy to answer more questions. and help if I can, so feel free to ask questions.
Thanks so much for the info! So far what we know is that he is on SSDI so he will not lose that, or his Medicare. But he also gets Medical assistance through the state and will lose that. He's already been cut from food stamps due to my income since we live together though for years it was never an issue. He may have much higher copays and deductibles from Medicare which is one of the main things we are going to go over with this case worker.

Thanks again for all the info, very helpful!

Old 12-24-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Thanks so much for the info! So far what we know is that he is on SSDI so he will not lose that, or his Medicare. But he also gets Medical assistance through the state and will lose that. He's already been cut from food stamps due to my income since we live together though for years it was never an issue. He may have much higher copays and deductibles from Medicare which is one of the main things we are going to go over with this case worker.

Thanks again for all the info, very helpful!
Talking to the case worker is a good idea. I rarely qualify for any other help like food stamps, medical assistance, etc... because they say my SSDI is too much. The limits they use are way off from reality.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:06 PM

602 posts, read 504,467 times
Regarding SSDI, it depends on whether he gets it based off his own work record from before he became disabled (should be safe) or whether he's been disabled his whole adult life and he gets it based off of his parents' record(s) (not safe if the spouse is abled).

Old 12-24-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
Regarding SSDI, it depends on whether he gets it based off his own work record from before he became disabled (should be safe) or whether he's been disabled his whole adult life and he gets it based off of his parents' record(s) (not safe if the spouse is abled).
That's new to me. Thanks for posting this.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:41 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Has anyone had experience marrying someone who is on disability income? By that I mean SSI or SSDI, Medicare and other programs?

My partner and I have been living together for 21 years but we would really like to be married. We keep running into roadblocks with threats of him losing his medical assistance and possibly even social security payments if we get married. I make about $22 per hour which is not a lot but apparently it is more than enough to cause him to lose important benefits he needs to afford VERY expensive medical care that has kept him alive for a long time.

Without being married we do not have the same rights to make decisions about each others personal matters that a married couple would, should something happen to one of us. I also don't feel we get the same respect and recognition of our relationship and time together that a married couple would get. We are getting older and having health issues, and his parents are nearing the end of their life and we would really like to be married soon.

I'd like to hear what your experience has been like from a financial perspective. How did you work around financial issues? We do have an appointment coming in January with a case worker but I would like to hear from others who have been through this process. Thanks!
I tend to think that he is receiving some form of Medicaid (Medicare Savings Program), maybe QMB? They would consider a married couple’s income when applying, unfortunately. In Texas (a STRICT state), the recipient must show that he is “paying his own way” and not receiving very substantial help. When I’ve submitted these applications, some case workers have considered this to be “in-kind” support, which led to rejection. If he has it now, stick with that.

Old 12-26-2019, 05:11 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
You could do all the paperwork to protect each other both legally and medically. Then you could have a marriage ceremony and exchange rings. You could even change your last name to his legally and not really be married. A friend of mine did this and no one knew that they weren’t legally married.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Can't you get legal documents that allow you to make medical decisions for each other? I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure that's something you can resolve with the proper paperwork.
Yes, and something I advocate, but I think there have been cases of the family being able to override this... (and look back at the Terri Schiavo case... her family tried to override even her legal husband, and if I am recalling correctly, it didn't sound like it was an open-and-shut case of "he's the husband, go away," either; there was an actual fight.)

Legal documents are a good idea for anyone, though. Medical and financial power of attorney are worth their weight in gold and then some. Don't assume that because you're next of kin you can automatically take care of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance