Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 08:51 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

I am covered by my spouses healthcare and after 4 years of medicare part B I have paid in over $4000 with hardly any benefit. Has anyone else opted out of Part B?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 01:22 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I am covered by my spouses healthcare and after 4 years of medicare part B I have paid in over $4000 with hardly any benefit. Has anyone else opted out of Part B?
Every employer plan is different. You need to check with spouse's HR people on whether Medicare-eligible spouses must be enrolled in Part B. Many employer plans function as a Medigap for those over 65 with a carve-out for Medicare. The Medicare carve-out means employers costs are much lower as both employer and Medicare share payment for your Medical expenses.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Will the OP pay higher part B premiums in the future when he signs up again if he drops out of part B now?

Last edited by jdhpa; 01-24-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 04:33 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Will the OP pay higher part B premiums in the future when he signs up again if he drops out of part B now?
No, not if he follows the rules re "creditable coverage" from an employer with 20 or more employees.

See https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...-get-parts-a-b

where it says:

"Ask the benefits manager whether you have group health plan coverage (as defined by the IRS). People with group health coverage based on current employment may be able to delay Part A and Part B and won’t have to pay a lifetime late enrollment penalty if they enroll later"

Old 01-24-2020, 04:51 PM

53 posts, read 39,758 times
Just make sure that you save the annual "Credible Coverage" letter that you receive from your employer. You will have to provide when you sign up for Medicare.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:53 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
No, not if he follows the rules re "creditable coverage" from an employer with 20 or more employees.

where it says:

"Ask the benefits manager whether you have group health plan coverage (as defined by the IRS). People with group health coverage based on current employment may be able to delay Part A and Part B and won’t have to pay a lifetime late enrollment penalty if they enroll later"
But, you want to be sure SSA treats dropping the same as delaying starting. Sometimes the rules are strange.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Insurance is not supposed to pay off until you actually need it for major expenses. If it never pays off, you are ahead of the game.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:26 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post

where it says:

Back when I turned down Part B, the info was not as clear as it is in your link. Glad to see it's more clear now.

To the OP - I'm paying a big penalty because of the old unclear rules. Make sure your wife's policy qualifies.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:31 AM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Every employer plan is different. You need to check with spouse's HR people on whether Medicare-eligible spouses must be enrolled in Part B. Many employer plans function as a Medigap for those over 65 with a carve-out for Medicare. The Medicare carve-out means employers costs are much lower as both employer and Medicare share payment for your Medical expenses.
This^^^^^^

I work for a major insurance company. I see the results of this bad choice everyday and it can ruin someone financially that is not an educated consumer.

Medicare and private insurance have very complex rules about who is primary and secondary. You do not get to pick and choose what coverage is going to be responsible for your care.

So many people make this mistake thinking they are going to save money by dropping or not signing up for Medicare Part B only to learn after the fact the employer sponsored plan will not cover the 80% portion Medicare Part B covers.

For instance, if you have a $1,000 claim that should have been covered by Medicare Part B but you did not elect or dropped coverage, most self funded employer Plans are going to allow/consider only $200.00 --the portion of the bill they are responsible for under coordination of benefits rules. YOU are going to be left owing the $800.00 Medicare Part B would have covered had you signed up for coverage.

Employers/insurance are into cost shifting. Medicare eligibility is how private insurance coverage can save money by shifting the primary cost of your care to the government when you become eligible for Medicare.

Last edited by Angie682; 01-25-2020 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-26-2020, 10:43 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Thanks to everyone for the input. After phone calls to SSA and my RRB and medicare………..I have decided to keep medicare part B. paying $144 a month is a bite when I seldom use it,but if I have a major medical event I will need it. My insurance through my wife is primary, but we have a relatively high deductible and out of pocket. Part B would pay a lot of that. Also Having only part A would not cover a lot of the charges from a hospital stay, only the actual cost of "room and board".

It is a somewhat complicated decision to make and as others have pointed out situations for everyone are not the same...……...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance